“A Comfortable Stay”

Ranked #12 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Millers Dale, United Kingdom
“A Comfortable Stay”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We stayed for two nights to have a family break over half term. All staff seemed helpful and approachable. The pool was on the small side especially with a fitness class on Monday morning. One lady (not a member of staff) seemed to think we shouldn't be in the pool. Despite the noise of the traffic when outside the hotel inside it was fine.The breakfasts were fine and as you would expect. There was quite a difference in service from Sunday to Monday. On Sunday we had use of a pancake machine which my daughter loved, but it wasn't there on Monday. The staff on Monday couldn't keep up with refilling the buffet items, so toast went cold while waiting for hot items, had the storm affected staff getting to work? If you want a lie in don't have a room backing onto the childrens play area, they woke us up on Sunday morning. We didn't eat in the hotel as such a good variety of restaurants in Cambridge so can't comment on the quality of the food but the menu did look expensive. There was no problem parking in the hotel unlike trying to park in Cambridge.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lilaccharm
Robin H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your detailed review and I am pleased that the staff were friendly
and approachable. We share all our feedback with the team and learn from it.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cambridge in the future.

Kind regards
Robin Hutton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Winchelsea United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We were attending a function in King's College and decided to stay at this Holiday Inn as it was so near to the motorway. Clean comfortable room with good bathroom on the ground floow. Extremely friendly and helpful staff and a good breakfast made this a very pleasant overnight stay. Taxi service to and from King's College was faultless, reliable prompt and courteous. All in all, a very successful stay - would definitely choose this hotel again for a visit to Cambridge.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Robin H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your positive review and I am pleased that you were well looked after with our friendly and helpful staff.
Somerset, England
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Stayed here whilst attending a family function for 1 night. The hotel is light and airy, it is not a tower block but pleasantly designed. The room and bathroom were large and the décor good.
However the room had a few maintenance issues. The main overhead light was not working, and the settee was very badly stained to the extent that I would not sit on it. I found the Housekeeper near my room and reported these problems. I later found that the toilet seat was not securely fastened which was a bit of a problem. As I was only there 1 night on a weekend I did expect any repairs but reported the maintenance issues again when checking out.
Breakfast in a nice dining area was good but for one factor. A young lady armed with a frying pan cooked me two fried eggs very hard and some fried bread as requested and brought them to my table, this was great, however the tea I ordered came and was nearly cold. I again asked for tea and explained it was cold. The second attempt was also cold and I proved this to the young man who delivered it. He said he would be right back and a few minutes later he appeared with a piping hot pot of tea. He explained that the hot water boiler was 'on the blink' so he had boiled a kettle. Third time lucky.
I also made good use of their pancake machine which I have seen in other Holiday Inns. Overall I was very pleased with my breakfast experience.
I know it sounds like I had a bad time but I do not see it like that. I liked the place and the ambience and would stay there again when in the Cambridge area especially as it is just off the A14.

Room Tip: The Executive Rooms are a little bit of a walk from Reception so if you have a problem walking ask f...
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, we take our feedback seriously and will be sharing these comments with the team. I am pleased you enjoyed the breakfast too.
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Very nice hotel with great staff. Had a long wait on 2 mornings for a poached egg (the 1st was on a very busy Sunday) but the waiting staff couldn't have been more apologetic. The pool area was clean and tidy, room was clean and well decorated. Food in the restaurant excellent and the waiter top notch. The biggest problem with this place is I wasn't expecting luxury hotel from a Holiday Inn,but it was really rather good so I started to expect more, which is a bit unfair. As long as you are fit enough to walk (max) 10 mins to the bus stop you can get into town without the hassle of parking, a taxi costs around £9 each way

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bridget L
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and I am pleased that the hotel was better than you expected and that the staff were great too.
Cirencester
Reviewed 22 October 2013

First the good news.

Our room was reasonably spacious and the beds were comfortable.
The staff were uniformly pleasant and helpful and transformed what could have been a ho-hum stay into a pleasant one.
Our room was quiet (though I was woken once by the opposite room door being opened and automatically closed rather noisily)
The breakfast was very good and the service excellent.
The Spa and its staff were pleasant though I found the pool rather short and shallow.

Now the not so good news

Charging £5 an hour for wi-fi is iniquitous. Why don't they charge for electricity as well? I gather the current contract will expire soon and they will not then charge and I hope that is the case.
The public areas particularly the bar and lounge had a rather forbidding feeling. The choice of contemporary art was depressing in the extreme, whereas our bedroom corridor to room 123 seem to go on for ever and the walls were unrelieved by any pictures. The pictures in our room were prints of hunting scenes which some people might find politically unacceptable and they contributed to the 80s feel of the room which had slightly distressed brown furniture.
The background music in the bar was intrusive and did nothing to make the atmosphere more pleasant. Once more however the bar staff were very good.
The breakfast room was very crowded and noisy. On reflection we might have used other parts of the dining area but we were not directed to these and in any case said that we wished to sit near a window.
There was no printed programme guide for the television.

Room Tip: 123 was satisfactory.
1 Thank JohanSebastian
Robin H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your detailed review and comments. We share all our feedback with the teams and will be discussing this further. I am pleased that the staff were pleasant and helpful.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cambridge again in the future.
Northwest UK
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Stayed for one night on business. quick check in. Room clean and comfortable although had a problem with window closure. Allocated room on ground floor and was disconcerted to find that the window latch was completely detached from window and had to be slid into place to try to keep window closed. Not a safe environment for a lone female traveler. Only realised problem when returning to room towards midnight and no one available from maintenance then.
Breakfast good. Nice choice of foods. Self service pancakes appeared to suit many. Porridge not on breakfast menu but was soon made on request. Only grouses are cost of wifi....this is predominantly a business hotel so why this function is an additional cost defies comprehension. (i recently stayed in a holiday inn express and wifi was free!!) , and cost of drinks...villa maria sauvignon blanc 8.90 a glass.... £9.99 a bottle from tesco...I know they need to make a profit but this is exorbitant...particularly when they tried to pass off an inferior SB for same price on return trip to bar! Have stayed here many times before and it serves a purpose.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and I am pleased that the room was clean and you enjoyed the breakfast selection. I have reported the window latch and I am sorry there was no one available to fix it at that time. Our wifi charges are free to our IHG Reward Platinum and Gold members and in 2014 there will be further offers.
Lorgues, France
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Very disappointing package. Like most Holiday Inn, it offers the least it possibly can. Promising situation if you have business on the local Science Park, but is actually in a very awkward position to get there. Forget it for the city centre! Additional expense is extortionate! The reception and bar are poorly serviced, and the prices excessive. The cost of internet must break records! And "high speed"?!?! It was virtually unusable for Skype! Maybe I'm out of touch with what qualifies for a good standard of service for a hotel in the UK these days..... I guess it was clean!

Room Tip: If this is typical of a chain hotel in the area, make a little more effort and find an independet fa...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, we share all our feedback both positive and negative and we will learn from this.