“Very helpful manager”

Ranked #14 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Very helpful manager”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

We arrived early evening on a chilly night. No lift available. The room allocated was cold, light bulbs not working, very tired furniture. Almost immediately after a call to reception the duty manager showed us another room, helped us with luggage, and apologised. This room was warmer, although in need of a makeover, very clean with comfortable large bed. Bathroom clean adequate towels and toiletries, also needs updating. we slept well and it was quiet.
Leisure centre very welcome addition to hotel, but also needs a little tlc. No member of staff on desk to give towels or number of changing room lock - a guest let me in. Jacuzzi not working. Pool warm thank goodness. floor to changing room uneven and in middle of repair (I hope) no signs out.
Breakfast excellent and staff pleasant and helpful.
A fire alarm test alarmed me and other guests just after breakfast - no warning had been given when we booked in night before (although the small print on back of door mentions this, but I didn't read it). I mentioned this to manager who was most apologetic and also agreed rooms needed some tlc. she is going to pass on my constructive comments to the powers that be. The manager gave us points towards another Holiday Inn stay as an apology. Thank you, that is good customer service.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Robin H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and feedback, we discuss all our reviews with the team. I am pleased that the staff were helpful and you had some points as an apology for the shortfalls you experienced.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cambridge again
in the future.
Robin Hutton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Warwickshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

One night for business - had a deal so paid aprox 50% of the turn up on the day rate. Room fine -clean. q big, good wardrobes. iron and ironing board (always brill!). Loved the labelled soft and hard pillows. Difficult to get the room temperature perfect - but not a big deal. No time to try the pool. Staff were great. Breakfast fine - loved the fresh fruit and yogurt.

Issues - £5 for an hours wifi in your room - silly price! I gave up when I realised the price - could have got a discount if I booked more but at 6am only wnated an hour. And £38 for 3 single G&Ts and 2 glasses of wine at the bar - could have been worse but seemed expensive for a not very special setting.

I would go back - fine hotel for business i was happy just not delighted.

Room Tip: I had a second floor room - fine but no lifts so if you have lots of luggage or difficulties with ba...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Robin H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback and I am pleased that you liked your spacious room, our pillow menu, and our Breakfast, and the staff were great. Our wifi charges are free for our IHG Rewards Platinum and Gold members and from January 2014 all IHG reward members will have access to free wifi.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cambridge again in the future.
Knutsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed for one night on business
The quality of the conference facilities was excellent
Reception is bright and very well managed
The executive rooms are just perfect
It's a Shame I didn't get chance to try the pool
Food was lovely
Would stay again

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest
Thank you for your positive review and feedback, I am very pleased
that you had a good stay.

Potton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

This last weekend, the 16th - 17th November 2013 was my first stay at the Holiday Inn at Impington. It was for my son's wedding reception. The experience I had with the staff, that's everyone I came into contact with, was excellent, very professional. The room itself was a delight. I was a bit concerned because it was on ground level but as the weather was chilly, didn't need to have a window open overnight. Compared to a recent stay in a very posh country house, this venue was no caparison. Here, rooms were clean, spacious and the bed extremely comfortable. Breakfast the following morning was excellent and it was really pleasant to chill there with our cuppa. I'd thoroughly recommend this to anyone.

Room Tip: We had room 105, very close to the function room. Perhaps not the best place for a quiet nap...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Robin H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and I am very pleased that you had a great stay for your son's Wedding last weekend.
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

Its a Holiday Inn and thats what you get. Efficient check in, well kept rooms in good condition and plenty of space. Easy to reach and find on the outskirts of Cambridge. Situated back from the road so little or no traffic noise at night. Good breakfast, pay for it when you arrive for the best price. Overall very acceptable.

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and good recommendations. I am pleased you liked our spacious bedrooms and good breakfast.
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

I stay in this hotel most weeks and I cannot fault the staff attentiveness - everyone is keen to make sure the customer receives the best experience. The food has improved consistently over the last couple of years, with breakfast in particular being a delight (I don't often eat dinner here). The only reason for dropping one star is that the hotel could do with a refurb of some rooms but the communal areas are nicely finished and up yo date.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jonathan H
Robin H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for review and recommendation. I am pleased that the staff have been attentive over the years and that you have seen an improvement in the food also. I am hoping for a Bedroom refurbishment soon.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cambridge again in the
future.

Bingley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

This should have been a 4 or 5, but marks have been lost on two counts which I am happy to share,
It's my kind of hotel ....... not surrounded by traffic, nice grounds, smart, well laid out. I'm a fan of Holiday Inns so the first impression was good as I arrived. Ample parking and a friendly check in. I'd had a busy day and was a bit tired, so planned to eat early and settle down to watch TV and have an early night with a good nights sleep. The bar area (where I planned to eat) was busy due to some social function that was on, therefore I got a drink and was kind of forced into the restaurant instead. Not too much of a problem, but my issue is this. Because of the semi-rural location and lack of easily accessible alternatives, Holiday Inn have "got you". They charge £4.50 a pint BECAUSE THEY CAN. And once seated in the restaurant, I got the menu, which was decent choice in theory but again terrible pricing. I work away a lot, and gone are the days I have the tree courses and all the trimmings every night, and of course I am on an allowance. So my options, not wanting anything fancy or too pricey, were Pasta or a burger. For which they charge over £14. BECAUSE THEY CAN. Its not reasonable, and I require no corporate glittery response to justify it. So a mark taken off for the pricing. The second mark is taken off for the quality. The £14 bowl of a moderate portion of salmon pasta wasn't the best and I felt unwell all night. As I write this 2 days later, I still feel a little as though I am suffering from the effects of a dodgy meal and I possibly have a small fish bone causing a nuisance in my throat. Add to that the restaurant staff (who to be fair were friendly and efficient, if a little TOO cheesy) constantly asking "everything OK with your meal Sir") should have added to my suspicions. Literally 4 staff each of who must have asked me three or four times. The restaurant itself was nice and as mentioned elsewhere I am a fan of Holiday Inns. Maybe (and hopefully) this meal was a one off but not good. Second point lost.
My room was OK (when I found it) and was spacious, tidy and modern, with a nice TV. The bathroom was adequate, although not quite to the standard of the room, so maybe there is an upgrade process going on. It was certainly OK though. I didn't have the best nights sleep due to a) the food and b) the single bed which was very light and moved every time I tossed and turned. Again, a minor point and not a problem exclusive to Holiday Inns.
Breakfast was in the same restaurant area as the night before, so I was unsure what to expect, but it seemed the usual self-service / buffet affair. I had a little. It was hardly inspiring, but at the same time not too bad - it didn't seem overly warm and I'm not sure how many times the sausages had made an appearance; I would guess they had been warmed up a few times. Similarly the coffee wasn't exactly hot, but to be honest, breakfast is breakfast and is just a quick start to the day for me.
Checkout was OK, and settled quickly, although I mentioned to the lady about the food and got the response "well if it had been the food you wouldn't have felt ill straight away". Maybe she was medically qualified ?
So overall, I would stay there again and hope that the food issue was a one off. Aesthetically, it was one of the nicer Holiday Inns, smart and tidy, but cost wise I think it was too pricey for food and drink. And at £128 a night I would have thought £5 for an hours Wi-fi is a bit of a rip off too.

Room Tip: Seem a popular busy hotel, sneak your own drinks in if you are averse to high bar prices. :-)
Dear Guest
Thank you for your very detailed review and feedback. We share all our responses with the team, and we will be discussing this further. If you would like to share this experience further please do
contact my Operations Manager Daniel Sharpe who would be happy to hear your feedback.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cambridge again in the