“Lovely friendly and cofortable hotel”

Holiday Inn Cambridge
Ranked #14 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Lovely friendly and cofortable hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

I am a frequent guest to Holiday Inn hotels and this hotel was amongst the most friendliest I had visited. Check-in was fairly quick and painless and was located in a clean modern hotel lobby/bar area at the front.

My room was well presented and maintained, and the bed was very comfortable. They are soft mattresses which I know some people are not so keen on. I had a friend staying in the room next door and their was largely the same bar a few cob-webs and scuffs on the paintwork.

I stayed for dinner on a Saturday night and it was a carvery, the food was excellent and the portions were more than you could eat - well, self service for you. Breakfast the next morning was very good too, a full choice of England, Continental, and more. The only problem is that towards the end of service, things like pastries and jams can be scarce, so get them when you can. Again, the restaurant staff were very friendly and remembered our faces the following morning too.

The other facilities were good, the pool and gym served their purpose very well and needed after the excesses the night before!

One final positive, which could also be considered a negative is that the hotel is located in a nice scenic location with some large neighbouring lakes but it is bordering a busy dual carriageway and a good distance from Cambridge centre

A tip perhaps is that there is plenty of free parking on some of the suburban roads/avenues about 0.8 to 1 mile out of town, it is certainly easier than walking the full distance from the hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Robin H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review of our hotel and I am pleased you found the staff to be friendly.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cambridge again in the future.
Robin Hutton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

We went to this hotel for a hen weekend stay. We most certainly we're not disappointing. It's a very well looked after hotel, wonderful for all ages enclosing children. The parks incorporated around the hotel/ in the centre garden are really lovely!

I most certainly would advise anyone to stay here.

The only fall back is the distance from town, but taxis are called from reception and are around 8-10 pounds which was good for us going in groups :-)

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and I am pleased you enjoyed your Hen weekend stay.
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

I stayed for 1 night for a business trip, in an executive room. The hotel is about 15mins from central Cambridge, with views of grassy paddocks and a lake on one side. Right next to the motorway, so good links if driving. Check-in was quick, then a long walk to our rooms. There is a nice looking indoor swimming pool & Jacuzzi, which I didn't have time to use.

Once in my room, it was generally clean & well presented. Unfortunately the bathroom had hairs on the floor & on the wash top (see pic). The mirrors & everything else looked spotless though.

Good points:

- Large TV
- Choice of pillows in room
- Sofa & coffee table in room
- mini bar & free kit kat
- clothes press, iron, safe & hairdryer
- children's play area

Bad points:

- Tried turning heating up, but sign said it was centrally controlled. Very cold in bed at night.
- Decaf coffee, but no decaf or herbal tea
- Shower temperature warm, but certainly not hot
- Could hear people upstairs walking around
- No plug socket near bedside tables. I use my phone as an alarm clock, so had to charge this on the wall opposite the bed & sit phone on the floor. Not ideal to have to jump out of bed to turn the alarm off in the morning
- Bed was an adequate size, but hotels of similar standard have larger, more comfortable beds

Breakfast provided a good selection of hot food, pastries, fruit & breads, but I would have liked some prunes. There is a pancake making machine which produced fluffy pancakes. The maple syrup bottles were both almost empty & covered in sticky syrup all over. Shame they weren't in another container, or been wiped over beforehand.

On check out I mentioned the bathroom hairs & a colleague told them about an out bulb in her room. The receptionist noted them down & apologised. Overall the stay was fine, just a few things that didn't make it perfect.

1 Thank dalton1skiing
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a detailed review of our hotel, and I am pleased you had a good stay with some minor issues which I have shared with the team here.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

Met up with a couple of friends here, the receptionist where very helpful, the room was very clean and although there where 3 of us in one room it was a good size, and the bed was very comfortable.

The down side was we had to eat in the foyer as they had a function in the restaurant when booking in we where told we could still use the restaurant menu but when we went for our evening meal we where then told we had to use the bar menu and so left us with not much of a choice?

Great choice at breakfast.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest
Thank you for review, and I am pleased you found the room comfortable. I have shared your feedback with regards to dinner with our Food and Beverage Manager to have more. choice in future in these circumstances.
newcastle upon tyne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

Popular and busy for business people working in Cambridge , hence the price of £145 with breakfast. Stayed in many Holiday inn hotels and this is the most expensive ive ever paid. The hotel is very good and the staff helpful. Room was big and clean , no problems. My only gripe is I was told on arrival that as I IHG member that the wifi was free but on checking out was told I had to pay. Paying £145 a night wifi should be free.

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and I am pleased you the staff helpful. Our wifi is free for IHG Platinum and Gold members with other offers following this year.
Dorset
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

Apparently this used to be a Forte Posthouse Hotel, now Holiday Inn. Location is fine for business just off the A14 but it is a 10 min/£10-12 taxi ride from centre of Cambridge. Hotel positives are nice open reception/bar area, modern gym (albeit the equipment is too crammed in) and spa. Negatives are price £145 room only seems high, no free wifi (£5/hour, £10/4 hours or £16/24 hours) and no room safes. My room also had a damaged plug socket and peeling paint on the ceiling.

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review. I am pleased you liked the open plan aspect of the hotel, With regards to wifi, we offer it Free of charge to our IHG Rewards Platinum and Gold members with further offers coming in the future. I have also reported your room faults with our Maintenance team.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

I was so impressed with my stay on 2nd March. The reception staff were very helpful (Claire G your so lovely!!)
The family room was huge compared to others I've stayed in! Was very clean and nicely presented! The bath was absolutely baking on the hottest setting (perfect!!). The mattress was fab! Best nights sleep in ages!
The pool area and jacuzzi looked nice, I didn't get time to use it but it certainly looked very clean!!! The bar staff were friendly too! Nice views!
First visit to Cambridge but if/when I return Would definitely stay here again!!
A well managed hotel Daniel!! Lovely!

• Stayed March 2014
Robin H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your great review and feedback and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.