“Second Visit”

Holiday Inn Cambridge
Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Our second stay, this time for 4 nights. So convenient for a short bus ride into Cambridge. Excellent facilities--swimming pool,sauna etc. There is a pleasant walk (except for the litter) around the lake . Staff are very helpful. Our first visit, last October an excellent buffet on Friday/Saturday was available--not this time so a 20 minute walk to The Red Lion in Histon with an excellent choice of real ale (including Titanic) and wonderful menu (no food on Fridays) assisted in our overall experience. Breakfast is also excellent which includes a fine black pudding. We will go again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank 755Win
Robin H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your great review, I am pleased you enjoyed your second stay and that the staff were very helpful.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cambridge again for a third visit !
Robin Hutton

Write a ReviewReviews (1,095)

Reviewed 4 August 2014

The general feel of the hotel is good but the rooms were a little dated and the TV channel choice is a bit lacking. The gym and pool was great and the communal areas were clean and tidy. The staff were friendly and approachable. One warning is the Mobile phone coverage, although no fault of the Holiday Inn i really struggled to get a signal to even make phone calls and mobile internet just didn't exist (I am on Vodafone). Overall i will happily stay here again but will probably have to pay for the WiFi just so i can stay on line.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Robin H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, I am pleased overall you found your stay good and found the Gym and Pool great. We are currently undergoing a Refurbishment of some of our standard rooms.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cambridge again in the future.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Me and my family stayed at this hotel on route to our holiday destination, and it was well worth the money we paid to stay here.

It was very easy to find and is handily situated just outside the lovely city of Cambridge, the hotel was also on a lake, as per the description, and we enjoyed a lovely walk around the lake before we had our evening meal.

Our first impressions was that the hotel was very clean and the staff were very helpful and found our information on the system very quickly and we were checked in quickly.

Our room was bigger than I could have ever expected and we were all impressed, we took advantage of the pool which was also nice and clean and the staff were helpful also.

We had a bar meal which was very nice, however we were charged a service charge for only 3 meals which I thought was wrong.

Check out was at 12, which allowed us to gather all of our things plus have a swim and something to eat.

The staff were very friendly, the hotel is very clean and I would definitely return if I am ever in the area again,

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Shortstraw79

Dear Guest
Thank you for great review and I am very pleased you all enjoyed your stay and found the staff very friendly.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

A regular lunch haunt and the food is very nice and decent portions , but the service is so slow it took twenty minutes for a coke to arrive and that was after a reminder and I have to say the wait staff were so miserable god knows why but it is rather a downer when you are out for a fun lunch

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Robin H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback, I am very sorry for the poor service you received whilst having lunch here, we pride ourselves in offering a hotel that guests love and I have spoken with our Food and Beverage manager about this issue.
I hope to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Cambridge again in the future.
Robin hutton

Reviewed 30 July 2014

It's very easy to reach this hotel; the entrance is probably less than 200 yards from the roundabout at the top of the A14 slip road. However, the sign at the entrance isn't huge - if you're concentrating on the traffic you can miss it. Despite its proximity to the main road, the grounds are large enough that we weren't disturbed by any traffic noise. There appeared to be plenty of parking, but be careful not to drive out of the car park the same way you drive in, as there's a one-way system. The hotel is quite a distance from the city centre; too far to walk and a taxi cost us £14 each way, although that was for 8 of us in a large vehicle.

Our twin room was clean and spacious but, although there were two chairs, only one of them was an armchair. We ended up sitting on the beds, which were comfortable to sleep on and an adequate size. A wide choice of pillows was offered, including anti-allergic, down-filled or synthetic. There were no ironing facilities in the room, but there was a hairdryer, and a large mirror over the dressing table. The standard tea and coffee-making equipment was tucked away in a cupboard, the other door to which was, puzzlingly, screwed shut... but all of our friends' rooms had a fridge in that location! Did they suspect we were the untrustworthy ones of the group?
The bathroom was a disappointment. It was adequate in terms of size and facilities, although a brighter light near the mirror would have been helpful but, despite obviously having been cleaned, the overall impression was that the room appeared rather grubby at the edges. The sealant around the toilet and between the walls and the floor was badly stained in places. There was a large brown stain on the bottom corner of the door frame, and the metal panel on the bottom of the door didn't look as if it had been wiped at all recently. I suspect (I hope!) that this room was due for renovation as, in addition to the unpleasant stains, the grout between the floor tiles was much darker than that on the walls. Although perfectly functional, this bathroom was not one in which to linger and relax.

The public areas, however, were modern and pleasant, with a light and airy feel. A lovely feature is the main corridor with its large windows, which passes between three separate, internal courtyard gardens. These provided, respectively, a children's play area, a large lawned garden, and a pretty, paved courtyard (with seats!) for smokers. Indoors, the reasonably spacious foyer included a lounge area with comfortable chairs where groups of guests can meet.

This hotel is fine for an overnight stop or business trip but, if I were to visit Cambridge again, I'd prefer somewhere closer to the city centre.

Room Tip: Ask for a recently refurbished room, and check the facilities before you unpack.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest
I hope to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Cambridge again in the future.
Robin hutton

Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night for friends wedding in Cambridge. Pre paid for double room. Unfortunately wedding started before check in time so had to check in after the reception around midnight. Given twin room. When asked at reception told hotel sold out, no double rooms available and that we had ordered a twin! Checking details we had ordered a double. Arriving so late after the wedding it was too late to kick up a fuss. The hotel is expensive for what it is and I am disappointed that this happened.

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and my apologies for the room not being what you had reserved. I hope the rest of your stay was good.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Despite arriving after midnight check-in staff couldn't have been more helpful, including offering to organise food. The rooms are large and well appointed and the breakfast good. I wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Mark Q
Robin H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for review, I am very pleased that the Night staff looked after you on your late arrival.