“Pleasant stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
London, United Kingdom
“Pleasant stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Friendly staff, lovely hotel, fab facilities and great location. The only negative was that one have to pay for WiFi and it wasn't cheap. In a 4 star hotel one would expect a free WiFi. Also, if you booking last minute call the hotel to confirm your bed preferences. We ended up with twin beds, husband not happy. The beds are very comfy though.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ivonao
Robin H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and I am pleased you found the hotel fab with friendly staff who looked after you. We do offer free Wifi to all our IHG rewards members and it is very easy to join.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cambridge again in the future.
Robin Hutton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a two night break to visit Cambridge and then drive onto Bedford for my husbands birthday. I had advised the hotel of this and they did leave a bottle of wine and a card for him in the room :)

I am a gold member and this was acknowledged at check in. We were booked into a family room and had been upgraded to executive (not sure if this was linked to birthday) We were allocated room 177 which was a fair walk on the ground floor. The room was clean as you would expect but very hot (it came to light we had one of the magic radiators!)

The first night we heard the person upstairs walking around and the floorboards were very creaky, this actually woke us up in the morning and what with the heat from the radiator was not a great start.

At breakfast we were greeted very warmly by Jenson (aka in our eyes as Agent Cho from The Mentalist - lovely chap) who showed us to our table and organised our drinks. Breakfast was very straight forward and there was plenty of choice. My son especially liked the pancake maker, he was in his element.

We advised reception of the floorboards and we were offered another room but declined as it wasn't the end of the world. Maintenance was called regarding the radiator and we were given very thorough instructions as to where to catch a local bus into Cambridge.

When we were ready to go out maintenance arrived (3 men) and they were surprised that the radiator was on which is where we found out it was a magic one!

After a long day in Cambridge we came back to use the leisure facilities. My husband made use of the fully equipped gym and my son and I used the pool, steam room, sauna and hot tub.

Second night was pleasant and again at breakfast we were greeted so warmly again.

We checked out mid morning and had a very pleasant stay. This is a great base for visiting Cambridge.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank BoozyP
Dear Guest
Thank you for your great review. I am very pleased that your husband enjoyed his birthday stay, and that your son like the pancakes at breakfast. Your special mention to Jenson will be passed onto him, we aim to offer a great hotel that guests love.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

I loved the location of this hotel, just outside the city among fields of horses! And the amenities were plenty... gym, pool, playground for the kids. The rooms were large and clean and the staff was friendly. Our room had not yet been renovated, but was well-kept so it didn't matter. It is a little ways outside the city center, but it was convenient for us to get there by cab. That was the only downside for us, that we could not walk right in to the city centre as we had done on most other stops on our trip. However, I thought it a great place to stay if I should ever return with my children.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Divanis328
Robin H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your positive review, I am pleased you liked the location and facilities of the hotel, even though you couldn't walk to the city centre.
I look forward to welcoming you back with your children, to the Holiday Inn Cambridge again in the future.
Waterford, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

The location is just outside the city, with easy access to the Motorway. The staff were friendly and welcoming. The room was bright, well maintained and had too big beds. The breakfast was typical hotel food which set us up for the day.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Robin H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your great review on our hotel which will be well received across the team.
Our bedrooms are currently undergoing a refurbishment programme and I am pleased to hear you had a comfortable stay.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed here two nights for a family wedding in Cambridge. The whole family came down from Leeds. The rooms were ready and very clean. We enjoyed the facilities, we all had a nice swim and relaxed after the long drive. The meal in the restaurant was really nice with a great choice. We all had something different and cooked perfectly.
I had just one concern that the room we were in was next to a function room where an event was going on on the Saturday night until 12.45 and they were very noisy. I made a suggestion that if they know there is a function in that room, perhaps it would be better to put a guest that is attending that function in the end room.
Lastly, one little gripe, why only 1 biscuit in the hospitality tray in a family room?

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank AndyM888
Robin H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your great reivew of our hotel. Your feedback will be greatly recieved by the team, and I am pleased your overall stay was comfortable and enjoyable.
I was sorry to hear about your room allocation being next to a disco. Your comments were passed over by our Front Desk team and will be used in a constructive manner.
I hope to welcome you back to Holiday Inn Cambridge in the future.
Carnoustie, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel recently and found it to be overall good value for money. I found the rooms very clean and tidy. The bed was very comfortable and because of the hotels location(a short taxi trip outside Cambridge)I got a very good sleep.
We did not eat dinner there as we went in to Cambridge but the breakfast was all you would expect from a good quality holiday inn.
I would of given four stars if it wasn't for the problem I had checking out.
I went to check out and of course first thing in the morning there was the expected queue. I waited and the lady in front was finished so I expected to be called forward. The man behind the desk didn't call me instead after completing the necessary paperwork we stood still for a while(As I am a National Sales Manager I could see it in him he did not want me to be there)before calling me forward. When I tackled him on this he denied all knowledge of this and clearly as admitted by himself could not care less about what I said or what I thought.
As my title indicated a job swap is needed. When I arrived to my room the cleaner was busy at her trolley and greeted me with a smile and a how are you sir - Clearly enjoyed her job not like her counterpart on check in. - So they would be well advised to swap jobs
Overall a very good hotel let down by a couldn't care less member of staff

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank KenM553
Robin H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review.
I'm very pleased to hear that you found our rooms comfortable and that the Housekeeping team in particular were welcoming on route to your room.
I was sorry to hear about your experience at check out. We pride ourselves on creating great hotels guest love, and I have spoken with our Front of House Manager about this issue.
I hope to welcome you back to Holiday Inn Cambridge in the future.
Blandford Forum, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Our second stay, this time for 4 nights. So convenient for a short bus ride into Cambridge. Excellent facilities--swimming pool,sauna etc. There is a pleasant walk (except for the litter) around the lake . Staff are very helpful. Our first visit, last October an excellent buffet on Friday/Saturday was available--not this time so a 20 minute walk to The Red Lion in Histon with an excellent choice of real ale (including Titanic) and wonderful menu (no food on Fridays) assisted in our overall experience. Breakfast is also excellent which includes a fine black pudding. We will go again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
      Cleanliness
1 Thank 755Win
Robin H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your great review, I am pleased you enjoyed your second stay and that the staff were very helpful.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cambridge again for a third visit !