“Best stay there yet”

Holiday Inn Cambridge
Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 8 December 2010

As I have family in Cambridge we have stayed at the Holiday Inn Lake View Cambridge a few times.This was by far the best stay to date. I did change rooms as we were given a room on the road side which was very noisy.. One receptionist was new I think her name was Lucy she was from the Czech Republic she was so helpful a very good Ambassador for Holiday Inn . We paid for an Executive room but was told after wards that I would of been upgraded as I am a Priority Club member ,I hassen to add I have never been offered an upgrade, maybe next visit. Breakfast is plentiful and very good. The only downfall if you are visiting Cambridge is that you are out of town, if this is the case a taxi is cheaper than parking in town

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Cambridge

Reviewed 29 November 2010

I used to be a student in Cambridge so I know the city quite well and decided I wanted to show my girlfriend what my life used to be like, so we decided to stay at this hotel for our trip to Cambridge.

The Room:
Very nice room, had a nice cosy and warm feel to it and the bed was very comfortable which was lovely. Couldn't get the airconditioning to go very cold so that was a bit of a bummer but not the end of the world. There was an old CRT TV in the room with limited channels, a newer flatscreen would have improved the overal feeling of the room immensly.

The Hotel:
The hotel is set in its own grounds and as such it is very quiet despite being so close to the road. It is about a five minute drive to the nearest Park and Ride, which in my experience is the best way to get into Cambridge. There was no lift in the hotel and as we were on the first floor it meant we had to lug our bags up a flight of steps which was a bit of a struggle as we weren't travelling light. Plenty of parking and even though the hotel was busy due to weddings and gym, we never had a problem when it came to parking. Staff were very helpful and friendly, we asked for some ice for our room and they gave us a very large bucket full. No free internet, even in the lobby, and they were charging £15 for 24hours! No chance!

This is a very nice hotel and if you can get it on a 2-for-1 as I did then it is a bargain and a very nice place to stay. I would stay here again if I were to visit Cambridge again

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 November 2010

I was on a business tour with my colleague in Cambridge. The company preffered the hotel as it is walking from Histon from where the office is at a walking distance. My colleague stayed there for a month but I joined him in his last week. Though we were put in an executive room but the service was pathetic. We told the staff about the broken shower but they did not send anyone to fix for 2 days. I think the hotel lacks staff. The price was more than 150 pounds a day. Even in that price the internet was charged @ 15 pounds a day which i think is damn expensive. Also the location is quite far from the city center and it takes around 10 - 13 pounds for a cab. The railway station is almost at the other end of the town. There are no shops which you can call near. Only thing I found attractive was the surrounding of the hotel which was quite peaceful and beautiful.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 November 2010

Initial impressions were good with a warm welcome from Lucie on reception. However this was the end of any warmth. Despite being a solo traveller I was given a vast family room. It was freezing cold and took a very long time to warm up, the un-heated bathroonm was like an ice box. The heated towel rail was no longer connected, a money saving ploy perhaps?
Room service meal was ok, but forced to choose from the rather bizarre H.I. menu which has six curry choices, but no sign of a simple steak & chips. Public areas continue the chilly and uninviting theme, probably ok on a summers evening but in November the whole place lacks charm, OK for a one night business trip, but would not reccomend for a romantic break.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 November 2010

I stayed at this hotel for one night on business. I booked through Superbreak as a Mystery Hotel for the cost of £107.50. Normally for this price I would be expecting a very nice hotel but Cambridge seems to have a dearth of reasonably priced hotels so all I was expecting was a fairly standard chain hotel.

On arrival I was greeted in a friendly manner by the Receptionist who checked my in efficiently, noting that I had paid for B&B through Superbreak already and asked if I would like to pre-authorise a card for any extras; I chose not to use this option and so I was directed to my room.

I headed towards the room, which I was expected to be around the corner and up the stairs, however it was a rather long walk that took me outside of the main building and into another. As a woman staying alone I would have rather have been put in the main part of the building so that I felt a bit more secure (access to the other building was not restricted to those who had a hotel key) and also so I didn't have to walk outside in the dark after dinner, which made me feel slightly vulnerable.

On arrival in the room everything was clean and tidy, most of the standard facilities were available but although the TV had some additional channels it did not have Freeview, which I expect as standard for business hotels these days. Also my pet hate in hotels is no plug sockets near a mirror (for the essential hair straighteners!!) and no plug socket near the bed (to use laptop whilst lying on the bed) was present here. These are however some minor points.

I used the bar restaurant as the main restaurant had an Indian buffet style meal that I didn't fancy. I had a steak, which was a little fatty in places but nicely cooked but I thought it was a bit overpriced at £18.95. The service was efficient and friendly but the tables could have done with a bit of a wipe.

On return to the room I had a comfortable nights sleep, even though the room itself was a little on the chilly side (which the air con control didn't seem to have any effect on) and there's a choice of firmness of pillows in the hotel, which is a nice touch.

I didn't eat breakfast at this hotel. There is a pool and gym but I didn't use these, although I walked past them and they seemed to be of a reasonable standard. Check out was quick and efficient.

All in all a nice enough stay that could be improved with a few minor improvements.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 November 2010

The hotel has spacious clean rooms and the bathroom is also clean. The staff is friendly, the breakfast is good. It was very pleasant to go to the pool after a long day. I can recommend this hotel for business travellers as well as for private travelers. The price was good. I will come back on my next trip to this area.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 October 2010

Title says it all, very OK place. Nothing great, nothing dire.

Some staff nice, some quite poor.

Location quiet, but out of town and a bit of a walk to the village. Taxis can be £8-£10 each way depending on traffic and where in Cambridge you want to go.

Breakfast would be OK for a fiver but not for the full price of £14; food is low quality and staff are more concerned with making things easy for themselves than looking after customers.

I wouldn't put anyone off going, but I wouldn't want to pay a lot for a night either. Probably good for business when you are not paying yourself, but not great for families or general leisure.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple