“everything but Italian”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 6 January 2013

pizza was made of plastic and sauce was very runny, beers were warm....worst 22£ spent in my life! owners are Turkish and not Italian, they would have done much better with a Turkish restaurant

2  Thank Terra79

Reviewed 2 January 2013

We go to Cambridge quite often, and have often noticed the Milano, being opposite John Lewis. Finally, last Friday, after perusing the menu, we went inside. Our son was staying with us over Christmas and we'd spent the morning shopping and the afternoon in the cinema. Italian was his choice for our evening meal.

I suppose the fact that the man on an adjacent table was tucking into a full English should have alerted us to the possibility that we might not be getting top notch Italian cuisine, but we're optimists!

Now, my choice of caprese followed by spaghetti with a creamy mushroom sauce was pretty decent. (I had asked for spaghetti to replace the fettucini that was on the menu.) Unfortunately the same cannot be said for the choices of my wife and son. Both had gone for garlic mushrooms as a starter, followed by spaghetti in a tomato and seafood sauce. Their starter was reasonable, although dominated by a huge hunk of bread. But their mains was an unmitigated disaster. Initially, on seeing it, my wife expressed surprise that the strands of spaghetti were very short. On tasting it, she discovered why. It tasted exactly like (presumably, because it was) tinned spaghetti in tomato sauce, and this at £11.95 a portion! As a consequence, both my wife and son left a significant amount.

Not wishing to cause a fuss, we decided to rescue the evening with gelato. After all, what can better Italian Ice Cream? Bizarrely, we were told that they only served ice cream in the summer, but that they did have a selection of cakes.

Any final comment? Just to reiterate some of the others on here. The toilets were a disgrace and should only be entered if wearing wellington boots!

1  Thank Eamonn M
Reviewed 6 December 2012

When you get tired of following your family at the Arcade you can just cross the road and sit down for a lunch and coffee. Don't expect anything special.

Reviewed 19 November 2012

I visited Cafe Milano with a friend on Sunday afternoon around 3pm. It was reasonably busy when we arrived to have some tea and cakes, but not so much that the full cohort of staff members were all occupied.

Despite there being numerous free tables towards the rear of the cafe we were told we had to sit by the door as those tables were for people wanting dinner (at 3pm on a Sunday afternoon?).

We had a look at the cake selection through the counter glass. As there were no labels on the treats I asked if I could be told what the cakes were. I was gruffly told to wait. So I did. I waited some considerable minutes for the 3 people behind the counter to offer some help and eventually the owner came to the front of the counter and said "What do you want?" I told him I didn't know as I wasn't sure what the cakes were, and asked again if he could tell me. The response I got was neither friendly nor useful. I was told what two thirds of the cakes actually were before he wandered off again.

The cakes were ultimately very nice (although some freshly whipped cream would be much more fitting than canned whipped foam), and the coffee and hot chocolate were lovely too. It is such a shame that the experience was sullied by retiscent and disinterested staff members.

I might visit again for take away coffee, but to be honest I can get service with a smile and a friendly word around the corner at Savinos, so why would I bother?

Reviewed 30 October 2012

Perhaps we were lucky given earlier comments , but service was fine when we visited.

Food was okay - my wife was better pleased than me. I thought my pizza - while not tepid enough to complain about - a little too lacking in hotness. Still, cost was relatively low for a tourist trap like Cambridge.

However, the toilets were absurd. Not having a proper lock, but just a crayoned arrow pointing to the rather weak looking catch did not inspire confidence. And, while not overtly dirty, they looked more what you'd expect in a fairly seedy bar rather than a restaurant.