“A very good Indian restaurant - well worth visiting!”
Review of Bollywood Spice - CLOSED

Bollywood Spice
Price range: US$12 - US$19
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: formerly Owned by Waterbeach Branch. Now under new Ownership
Reviewed 13 May 2012 via mobile

This is a very good Indian restaurant in Cambridge, and one of my personal favourites. It is conveniently situated for the south of the city, Addenbrooke's hospital and the biomedical campus, with parking on site. The food is consistently extremely good, and the fixed price buffet menu represents excellent value for money. The staff are very attentive and eager to please, and I have always enjoyed my meals there.

1  Thank jcamb

Reviewed 11 May 2012

I visited Bollywood Spice a couple of days ago with a friend, and we enjoyed a lovely dinner. It was very good value for money, as we were able to take advantage of an eat all you can dinner menu for £6.99 per head. The quality of food was great, and the staff were very helpful and eager to please.
Highly recommended!

by Mike

2  Thank MikeInCambridge
Reviewed 4 May 2012

My husband and I love indian food and have found many fantastic indian restaurants in the cambridge area from TripAdvisor. However, we had never been to Bollywood Spice, despite it being our closest indian, so after having a look on trip advisor, we thought we would give it a go. I phoned the restaurant before hand to check their opening times. The said that they were open until 2, it was at that time 1.40 and we live 5 minutes away, so I specifically checked that they would still be serving by the time we got there. When we drove up, we were very happy to see a huge sign outside the restaurant advertising the following deal:

Special Offer
Eat all you can Eat
from the menu*
£6.99 per head
sunday to thursday only
12pm - 2pm & 5.30pm - 11pm

*excluding seafood and duck

Given our love for indian food and the fact we are both students we were impressed.
However upon entering the restaurant at 1:45 we waited for what felt like ages, before my husband had to ring the restaurant, so that somebody would come into the restaurant. At which point we were told we would have to be quick. Then we asked about the £6.99 deal, at which point we found out that the sign was very misleading, I am sure trading standards would view it as false advertising. Not only was it not in fact all you can eat, but it was also only available on a different menu, that was specifically for that offer. (To me their advert saying," from the menu excluding seafood and duck", meant from their actual menu, not from a substandard menu, that didn't even have any duck or seafood on it anyway!). Despite this, we were hungry so thought we would give it a go anyway. We made our order as soon as the waiter had seated us. We then waited for 15-20 minutes and could hear something being cooked in the kitchen. After about 15-20 minutes the waiter came over to us and informed us that the kitchen had run out of the gravy that they need to make all of their dishes, so they couldn't make us any food, because the chef was on his own in the kitchen and unable to make the gravy, so he would have to ask us to leave. I could not believe it, how can anybody run a business like this?! Also I am no expert but how do they use the same exact sauce for all of their dishes? Also I find it very hard to believe that they had run out, as when we arrived there was nobody in the restaurant, so I find it hard to believe they had a busy lunch and further more they were due to open again in just over 3 hours for their dinner trade. I was completely disappointed in the whole experience.

Reviewed 2 March 2012

This restaurant re-launched in July 2011 and recently the staff from the Waterbeach branch have been swapped in, which has meant the quality of the food has gone from great to amazing. I've eaten at a fair few curry houses in the area and the meals I have had recently at Bollywood Spice would have to be some of the best Indian food I have ever eaten.

The menu has been expanded so along with all of the standard fare they now do a lot of specials including fish and duck curries. The few meals I have had there recently have included: chicken tikka masala, chicken tikka (sizzling dish), chicken makhani (similar to a chicken tikka korma), onion bhajis (best I have ever had) and keema nan; all which were exceptional. I imagine the rest of the menu is as good if not better.

The service is extremely good and food comes fast. The restaurant is very tastefully decorated and they have recently re-arranged the furntiure so there is now more seating available. Drinks wise they do have some European lager on tap but not Cobra or Mongoose (they have these bottled) sadly nor do they have draught soft drinks.

Overall highly recommended. I also understand they are just about to bring in an all-you-can-eat of the menu offer on Sunday through to Thursday at lunchtime/dinner for £6.99; I would suggest mentioning this before you order as we didn't automatically receive it last night, not that we minded!

Telephone number: 841675; I believe they offer home delivery within a small radius around Cambridge.

1  Thank tillyhorn
Reviewed 18 August 2011

Sister resturant of the one in Waterbeach and just as good. Great food and good service - will return.