“Nowhere near as good as Waterbeach branch - maybe closed?”
Review of Bollywood Spice - CLOSED

Bollywood Spice
Price range: US$12 - US$19
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: formerly Owned by Waterbeach Branch. Now under new Ownership
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Nowhere near as good as Waterbeach branch - maybe closed?”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I have been to this place a couple of times since it changed hands from The Spice Merchants a few years back. The guys who opened this sold it and stuck by their Waterbeach restaurant; I always preferred that one anyway.

Since the new owners took over, the food & service have gone down incredibly with unattentive staff. Haven't been in a while, drove past and the signage has been removed - has the restaurant closed or is this merely refurbishment?

Many other Indian restaurants who deliver a great experience at better prices than this one, a hit and miss I'm afraid!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank TheOneChoudhury

“Such nice people and fab food!”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We decided to try this restaurant as an alternative to our usual place which was exceptionally busy tonight. When I placed our order the staff on the phone were very kind and patient and even honoured a deal from the old menu as I didn't have a copy of the new one. The staff member then called me back shortly after to make sure I hadn't accidentally ordered too much (I had, so good thing he checked). Then, when we left a dish behind, he called again within minutes of my husband arriving home and drove the missing dish out to us (on a busy Saturday night). The food is beautiful and tastes very fresh - the onion bhajis, vegetable biryani and chicken tikka masala being my favourites. Will definitely be going here again, and may even choose it over our usual!

• Visited May 2014
“AVOID AT ALL COST..Worst experience ever”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

A group of us fancied a curry in Cambridge so took a look online to see if we would find a decent place to go to. Bombay Spice stood out to us as it had some fantastic reviews and was the 14th best restaurant in Cambridge. However I was very disappointed as it did not seem to live up to its online reputation given by TripAdvisor.

On arrival we were given our menu and as the menu wasn't clear and being a vegetarian group we decided to ask the waiter to clarify what certain dishes were. The waiter was very unclear and did not speak clear English and the worst part of this was that he did not know what a lot of the dishes were. To start off with we ordered some drinks a standard Coke, a Lassi (which tasted more like coloured water) and a Slimline Tonic. When the waiter bought out the slimline tonic it was not slimline so we asked the waited to change it and then he came back to say they did not have any.

With this aside we decided to order a few starters, between the four of us we ordered two plates of chilli paneer and a paneer shashlik as we assumed this would be a decent sized starter for the four of us. To our disappointment on chilli paneer portion consisted of 3 pieces of paneer cheese which tasted terribly bland. And there was no difference in taste between both the chilli paneer and the paneer shashlik. As you can imagine 10 pieces of paneer between the 4 of us is not enough as a starter and the waited failed to inform us that the portion sizes were considerably very small.

After having tasted the starters we came to the conclusion that there was no need in ordering mains unless we wanted to be further disappointed. On the way out we decided give our feedback to the manager as were greatly appalled with their food quality, quantity and lack of service. The manager didn't take our feedback well and instead shouted at us saying "We usually don't let customers just eat a starter and leave". As a paying customer, this has been by far the rudest way i have been spoken to. We did explain to the manager that if the starters had been good, we would have be more than happy to order our mains. It seemed like all they were interested in was making money.

I would definitely advise anyone to avoid this restaurant at ALL COSTS unless you enjoy eating bad food and rude customer service. There are plenty of great Indian restaurants in Cambridge, this is just not one of them.

• Visited May 2014
4 Thank Karishma P
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Jewel of Trumpington”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

What a delight, when you have worked hard and want to relax and enjoy a first class Indian meal this is by far the best in Cambridge. The staff are always so accommodating, polite & attentive. The menu is extensive & Rahul is very happy to explain the dishes & make suggestions depending on your taste.
A privilege to have this restaurant on our doorstep.
Thank's Guys

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank 4353Amanda
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Dinner at Bollywood Spice”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

This was our first trip to this establishment which is located in the building in Trumpington that was formerly 'The Volunteer' pub.

I dined at this restaurant on a monday night with one of my regular dinner companions. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We had a well appointed table by the window. There is no beer on draft but the bottled beer was well chilled. We had starters and mains which my fellow companion
described as 'delicious'. My food was very good. I had an irish coffee to finish which was fantastic. Price was reasonable. No complaints and we would go again.

• Visited March 2014