“No flavour, no hope Chinese food.”
Review of Yim Wah Express

Yim Wah Express
Ranked #87 of 739 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A reputable family-run business serving authentic Chinese cuisine and provide friendly service.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Ate here alone tonight. Ordered crispy noodles with chicken, menu said cooked in oyster sauce. Plus egg fried rice, plus pork sweet and sour, with Jasmine tea.
The rice came first. It was wet boiled rice with a few strands of egg. Totally tasteless. I sent it back, can you fry this rice please ? The s/sour arrived next. Perfect. Well cooked, crispy coating, thick rich sauce and aldente vegetables. Happy. Then the rice came back. Not much difference in looks, no difference in tastelessness. Well, there’s always the crispy noodles to come. It arrived. A dish of soft chow mien, with one or two, maybe 4 or 5 crispy bits on one corner ? It had broccoli pieces and cabbage pieces and was topped with slices of white chicken meat. It looked anaemia, the chicken particularly so. I tried the chicken. It had all the consistency of soft rubber, but without any taste whatsoever. I tried another piece, same. I moved it aside and ate the soft noodles and ss pork. The supposedly crispy noodles, supposedly ‘cooked in oyster sauce’ had been cooked in a clear, totally tasteless broth. You see a pattern here ? Everything but the ss pork, All Tasteless. The bill came to £21. I gave my card and told (the mangeress I think serving me) about my complaints. I asked her to try the rubbber chicken, she did. I asked her to try the oyster sauce soft noodles, she looked, saw it was mainly clear hot water. She came back and told me she give me discount. I looked, yes bill now only £19.
As with the rest of things on my visit, customer care ? You got it - Tasteless.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Ordered a takeaway for 2 with a selection of different dishes. Every one of them was a bit disappointing, there’s just not much flavour. It wasn’t bad... but it wasn’t good. Hence the middle of the road rating I have given.
I’m sure there are better options in the area.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Followed the TA reviews to this simple but lovely Cantonese restaurant just as you enter Cambs city centre. Nice open kitchen with the usual array of fine roasted meats hanging for all to marvel at. Good friendly service and our food arrived quickly, hot with no fuss. Really good roasted meats and crispy noodle dishes along with hot and sour soup meant the 3 of us filled up to bursting point, yes we over ordered but will defiantly go back. Well worth a try and great value for money as well.

Reviewed 7 May 2018 via mobile

Decent honest food, authentic experience. We had roast duck and prawn dumpling. Thumbs up ! It is apity we don't live in Cambridge

Reviewed 7 April 2018 via mobile

We switch between here and Charlie chans
The food is really good
Ignore how tired the decor is
It’s worth it for the food and the service is good