“Great travelodge!”

Ranked #17 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Spalding, United Kingdom
“Great travelodge!”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I used Orchard Park Travelodge on the outskirts of Cambridge as a stop over before taking an exam. This was the first time in several years that we used this chain of hotel as our previous stays had been memorably awful. This time the hotel was excellent the WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBLE ROOM was adapted really well, although the bed was a little low, if you have difficulty getting up then this might be a problem for you. The hotel has been refitted recently and the receptionist said at this was the plan for the whole group, so good news for the future. My one criticism is that the beds although new were not comfortable, very thin mattresses.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

2 Thank FionacShaw

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Very difficult to star this hotel as I have mixed feelings. The building is very new; built at the edge of a housing estate. It is a lovely building with lots of free parking. There is a garden area to one side which is a nice touch and will eventually mature into a peaceful resting place. Reception sparkles and the staff were very welcoming and efficient. The whole building, being new, is very clean and well presented. We liked the fact that you needed your room key to access the corridor door that your room is situated in, keeping out unnecessary infiltrators. The room too was very clean and well cared for, but that is where we start with the downside.
Our room (293) was quite small. You go in the door, past the bathroom and all you have in the room is the bed, a small table and one chair, and a unit in the corner with one shelf and a hanging rail beneath; no cupboards to store any clothing. So if you wanted to stay here for several days, you would be literally living out of your suitcase. And then we come to the bathroom. We only had a shower, so whether or not the room would be bigger with a bath I don't know. However, excluding the shower area, the floor was only about 1 metre square, which makes it very cramped. When I sat on the toilet, my left side was pressed against the toilet rolls which were actually behind me and I couldn't reach them; I had to remove a roll each time and stand it on the towel rail opposite. I do not have a large frame and wonder how a 18 - 20 stone and above person would manage.
Another thing about the bathroom is that I think they are modular units that have been fabricated off site and then dropped into the place. The main floors in the bedrooms seem to be concrete because they are very solid and don't reverberate, but when you step into the bathroom, it creaks. Another bathroom issue that affected our stay was that whenever somebody turned a tap on or maybe flushed the toilet in another room, the plumbing gave a out short squeak; enough to wake you up, but not enough o ruin the night's sleep. I don't always sleep well in hotels, but didn't do too badly here in spite of the occasional squeak.
We did have issues with the dining. We have stayed at a Travelodge in Canada where they had in-house dining facility, and I do not recall any problems. However, there are issues over food provision at Orchard Park. On our first night, I ordered Chicken Tikka Masala, which was quite acceptable; my wife ordered steak and ale pie which was a mistake. The pastry was pretty inedible; hard. The mashed potato seemed to be instant and the peas were rock hard. On the second night, I had a tower hamburger, which again was acceptable, but my wife had battered fish and chips and I have to say that the sight of the fish was not appetising. She peeled off the batter and found the fish inside to be quite hard; not enjoyable. We didn't bother with starters or puddings and glad we didn't.
Breakfast was heaps better. Brilliant selection of cereals, grapefruit, oranges, yoghurts, etc with a small help-yourself buffet of scrambled eggs, sausages, bacon and grilled tomatoes. Quite reasonable although the bacon only just qualified as acceptable. The overall impression is that all the food is prepared off site and then brought in and put through some form of reheat, reconstituting process.
That is why I find it so hard to score this establishment.
Building 5 stars

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank David M
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

The hotel was good but the shower had a blocked drain which overflowed into bathroom during use. Otherwise room was very good. Location of hotel is not too good for Cambridge city centre as public transport very poor but taxi service is fine. Free hotel parking. Overall fine.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Arrived at 10pm after a long day of travelling to be told we couldn't have our family room ( booked and paid for ) as someone had tampered with the smoke alarm. They apparently had no other rooms available! Myself and my 3 young children were then put in a taxi at 11.15pm and taken to Newmarket road travelodge where a family room would be waiting for us or so Orchard park led me to believe! Nope, all their family rooms had been booked out days before!! So at 12.30AM we were all squashed into a disabled twin!

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Harri03
TravelodgeUK, Dianne from Customer Services at Travelodge Cambridge Orchard Park, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
We’re really sorry to learn about the poor experience you had Harri03. It is regrettable you were relocated due to unexpected issues that arose at our Cambridge Orchard park hotel. Our hotel staff are trained in how to deal with such situations and will always try to reduce the impact on the customer by finding suitable alternative accommodation as close by to the hotel as possible and we will cover the cost of any additional travel expenses. We are also sorry that we were unable to provide you with the room type you had booked when you arrived at the second hotel. We’d like to be able to contact you to find a resolution so please could you visit our website and select the Contact Us button to tell us more and when doing so please indicate you have left a TripAdvisor review.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

We had great stay at that hotel and would recommend it to anyone looking for extremely clean, affordable place with easy access from main road with a bonus of free car park. Can't fault staff as was really helpful and knowledgable.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Isabel N
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014

The bedroom was very comfortable with a cosy atmosphere. High standard of decor. . Heating is excellent - radiator can be used all night. Bathroom clean with excellent shower. Staff very efficient and friendly when I checked in at 10.30 pm. Quiet night - close to road but there is a sound barrier - so no traffic noise at all. Breakfast is rather poor quality for the price, and more choice of food is needed. All staff are friendly, and have been on each visit. The hotel can be difficult to find so take care to get precise instructions.I will definitely go again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo

2 Thank chriswilliams186273
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

Very convinient located just off A14 and extremely clean. Staff polite, professional and very helpful. I used to booked in very close located Premier Inn but now I prefer this one than Premier inn. Strongly recommended. For me great value for money!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family