“For us a Good Choice”

Ranked #17 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
England
“For us a Good Choice”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I have stayed here a few years ago and it was OK. Recent reviews made me consider staying somewhere else but the location is great for us and the price was very good so I booked. We had a very pleasant stay. Comfortable bed, clean room - everything we needed for a brief overnight stay. We had a room at the front of the hotel which was quiet even with the window open. We stayed in a Premier Inn two nights later which was almost three times the price and not as comfortable so a good result for Travelodge!

2 Thank travellingscoobies

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We stayed at this Travelodge as we were going to a concert in Cambridge.

Apparently it has undergone one of their new makeovers and it shows.
It is in quite a random location, right in the middle of a residential area, I suppose it is here because it is next to the A14.

It is clean and airy, and the room we stayed in (a family room) was very large.
All the members of staff we came into contact were pleasant and polite.

The car park was large and unusually for Travelodge, free.

We had a taxi into Cambridge which cost £10.

There is not much more I can say, it’s a Travelodge, go and enjoy it for what it is.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back of the hotel face a main road.
1 Thank NobbyClarke63
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I wasn't expecting much from the Travelodge, but did expect a lot more than we got!

The staff were on the whole great, but at busy times there clearly weren’t enough of them. At breakfast time all hands were on deck in the cafe leaving no one manning reception when people wanted to check out.

Our room was basic which wasn't a problem except there was no phone to call reception, the hotel was very noisy and there was no air conditioning. When I needed to speak to reception I had to use my phone to call a premium rate number to get through. Ordinarily I would have gone down but when with a toddler this is not an easy option, especially when they are sleeping. The internet I had pre-ordered didn't work and I had to call another premium rate number to try to get it sorted, which didn't happen despite being on the phone for over 20 minutes, not looking forward to the phone bill!

The day of our stay was warm, but our room was boiling. When we returned to it at 9 in the evening our room was 26 degrees. Opening the window made no difference as for health and safety they only open an inch. Even in the morning when we woke up the room was a great deal warmer than the outside or indeed the temperature in reception. I told the staff this at check out and was told this country was not built for heat. However, i think its more the case that the cheap building was not built for heat.

While in our room we could constantly hear nose from the hall way and other rooms. I'm not sure if this was entirely due to the thin walls or due to the other hotel guests who all seemed quite merry.

I would advise not getting breakfast at the hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

First the good. Friendlyish staff and immaculately clean room. Nice TV, albeit small, and the usual minimalist soap, towels... all good.

But... the noise! My room was about 50 feet from the A14 and because it was so hot in the room I needed the window open. I spent all night counting lorries trundling past. In fairness I knew that the hotel was near the A14 - in fact I spent the night before but must have been at the front of the hotel.

Although on the first floor, my window faced directly onto the top level of the car park so I had to get dressed with the curtains closed to avoid being arrested for indecent exposure as the van's driver and mate were sat in their cab looking straight at my window which gave me a bit of a shock when I opened the curtains. Fortunately I have new jimjams so no need for shame there.

So by all means book - but specifically ask for a room at the front of the hotel away from the A14. I mentioned what a dreadful night's sleep I'd had at reception when I left but didn't really get much other than the comment that the hotel had been full so they couldn't have moved me.

I checked the hotel's website and there is no mention about being sited on a noisy road which is normally the Travelodge's way of warning travellers.

I wished that I had booked the Premier Inn - at least I could claimed under their 'good night's sleep' policy.

Room Tip: Just avoid rooms which face on to the A14 unless you enjoy counting lorries
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Good stuff first - clean, tidy, easily accessible from main roads, excellent parking facilities, friendly staff.

HOWEVER, the lack of facilities in the rooms is staggering. I know they're supposed to be quite basic rooms but to not have SOAP or a TOILET BRUSH is a bit much. How much money are you saving by not including these basic items Travelodge?

Also, charging for Wi-Fi? Very poor.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We visit Cambridge regularly to see family, but our usual hotel has become very expensive. We tried a Travelodge with some reservations, as the last one we stayed at was somewhat tired and jaded. Orchard Park was a pleasant surprise. Clean, modern and welcoming, it was absolutely fine for our requirements. The bed was comfortable, our room had a television and tea/coffee making facilities. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. Excellent value for money.
The food choices are a bit 'greasy spoon' in our view, but we just ate elsewhere. Extra milk, coffee etc. was available to take to your room near reception, which was a nice touch.
A great budget choice.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Susan243
Paphos Cyprus
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We are regular visitors to Orchard Park and usually stay fro 6+ nights whilst visiting family in Cambridge. The hotel is clean and welcoming with clean, welcoming rooms and a free Car Park. Breakfasts in the clean, welcoming bar/café are superb value and quality. The staff is the hotel's biggest asset - a warm and sincere welcome and a willingness to go the extra mile makes the hotel our safe haven. Last November, our room was flooded by a careless guest in the room above while we were out. All of our possessions were photographed in situ and re positioned in exactly the same place in the newly allocated room. No fuss, lots of concern, offers of replacement of damaged property (luckily none) and every effort to make amends. The measure of worth comes when things go wrong!

When you book a Travelodge, you know what to expect - good quality, good value and , a safe environment. Orchard park shines as the best of a good organisation,

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

1 Thank Patricia J