“Oh dear!”

Ranked #25 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Truro, England, United Kingdom
“Oh dear!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

Well, I am sure that the staff are very well intentioned. The service is good and friendly but they are let down by the premises and the appalling smell of damp as one enters from the car park.
Our second visit - it is booked for us. The first time we had the room in the photo which also has a large jacuzzi bath . . . great fun . . . this time we had a dire pokey little room with a window on to the alley from the car park. Breakfast is OK. I am concerned about the cleanliness and certainly put off by the other reviews referring to hair. I just don't think their hearts are in it. Great deli across the road and an award winning chippie - or so it says! Strongly advise the mini pastries from the deli.

Room Tip: Ask for the bath - but the room is still small
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Travelling_Trainers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

On the outside the hotel looks quite nice....this is where the positives end.
- Hair in my cereal
- Hair in my orange juice?!?
- Table clothes ALL dirty
- Bed not cleaned properly
- Shower AND bath did not work
- Staff did not seem to care
....incredible considering the price you pay per night.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank npd23

Travellers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

I have recently stayed here while on business.the hotel was booked for me for 4 nights, I stayed for just the 1, that was enough for me.
The rooms are extremely tired, they stink, they are small and the bathroom is very small with an inadequate dribbling shower.the bin wasn't emptied and still had the previous occupants rubbish in it. The walls are paper thin, allowing you to hear pretty much everything.
Now onto the restaurant, which to look at, looks quite clean and nice. Food however is not so clean and nice. I ordered salmon with veg, and my colleague ordered chicken with veg. The salmon came to the table absolutely swimming in what can only be described as yellow water. I gave it a chance, only because I was very hungry. After cutting in I discovered a 4 inch hair nestled underneath my dinner. This was extracted from my dinner and my knife and fork wanted no more part with this salmon. My colleague also found a hair on his chicken, this time far shorter of about 1 inch, but of the curly variety.
This hotel is terrible, and it is not cheap to stay here.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Dasituk
Cambridge, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2012 via mobile

We went as a couple with CEN vouchers 2 courses for £10 deal. 1s visit as I was not otherwise aware there was a walk in resteraunt in the hotel. The eating area is nice enough if not a tad run down, ceiling tiles had stains so must admit was not too hopeful of good experience especially as it was a deal so often worried would not get preferential treatment. Glad to say fears were unfounded. Good quality Italian food was served with a smile. Would return, even without deal.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mobius1
Dudley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

I've stayed in pretty much every hotel in Cambridge over the years, as my company has its headquarters there. That said, they don't seem great at finding hotel deals and it was with dismay I tried to find a hotel within my £78 allowance. Sad that this should be the guiding factor, but hey, perhaps there are other people in the same boat as me, even if not the same hotel!

So off to the Sorrento at £78 for a single. I read what others thought of it and didn't expect much, but I was very pleasantly surprised. It's small (30 bedrooms), clean and friendly, and there's ample parking outside.

There's also a pub over the road, a fish and chip shop and a couple of take-aways, all of which looked ok, but you wouldn't need them anyway as the hotel restaurant is good value and the food is pleasant too, fresh and nicely cooked. They do a set meal for £16 (£18 if you want a pudding!) and even with a couple of glasses of wine it was only £25. All very pleasant and quite a nice choice.

I had a single room with a large single bed and had a good night's sleep. I couldn't get the TV to work but that was probably me being too bleary eyed in the morning.

So, why have I given this an excellent, when I've been much less generous in my view of many other Cambridge hotels? Well it's honest and you get good value for the money. After all, it's less than half the price of the City Centre hotels - Cambridge seems to be going through a boom time right now and you can pay £200 without any difficulty.

Here's a quick summary:

Is it in the centre of town? No, it's just over a mile away, but you could walk in on a sunny day, or the bus stops outside.

Is it luxurious? Not in the way that some of the 4* hotels in town are, but it's clean and relaxed and you can park for free.

Do you get posh toiletries? They're not posh, but there's plenty of them. There isn't any aircon, but there is a safe in the room.

Excellent? Yes, for this price and this level of provision in Cambridge. BUT, if you want a big corporate with a gym, a bar full of sales reps that charge £5 for a pint, a menu designed by city gastronomiques in London, and a car park at £20 per day, best not to stop here as none of those things apply!

Go on - give it a try!

Room Tip: Room 126 has a good size bed for a single room
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank 339334
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

-Room ok
-Shower poor.
-Breakfast very poor; single rasher of bacon and one very, very cheap sausage.
-Staff helpful
-Expensive for what you get. £125 per night for a double room.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Ross on Wye
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

This hotel was perfect for my needs. The room was spotless and the service just great. I had a meal in the restaurant and it was very tasty indeed as was breakfast. It's a good place to stay for a visit to Cambridge at reasonable rates.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business