“Short Break to Visit Family”
Review of Sorrento Hotel

Sorrento Hotel
Ranked #25 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
“Short Break to Visit Family”
Reviewed 27 February 2013

I came to Cambridge for a short break to visit some family. I stayed at the Sorrento Hotel through family reccomendation, because it was very close to my relatives home and had easy links for us to the city centre.
Upon arrival, the staff were pleasant and welcoming. Having only paid for a single room, I was actually upgraded to a double when checked in.
I stayed in a nice, fresh room, which looked to be newly decorated and had all neccesary amenities.
Breakfast was good, I had a full english before heading into Cambridge city centre.
We did have dinner in the restaurant one night, myself and the family. Good meal, decently priced with nice atmosphere and service.

Another plus was the free wifi, which most hotels usually charge for.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank sSamsStar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Devon
Reviewed 7 February 2013

We had a special 100th birthday celebration at the Sorrento, and the staff couldn't have done enough for us!!

The buffet was really great with lots of savouries and cakes on offer, and the layout was exceptional with the table and dance floor.

The drinks were a little hit and miss; the bottles of coke were flat, the wine was sometimes of a poor taste, whilst the stella was great in proper glasses, and the Carlsberg was odd tasting.

The staff were fantstic, and we all had a great time!

Just sort the bar out and a defo 5 out of 5!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank DixieDevil
Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2013

I was booked into this hotel by my company and i had never stayed at the sorrento before. I was happy with my room having a kingsize double bed and a large bath with free internet. i was also happy with the free car park and the restaurant which i Must say served great italian food. I would be happy to stay at the sorrento again. Family run and Staff really nice and well presented.

Room Tip: Give the restaurant a try
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Pino G
Milano Marittima, Italy
Reviewed 26 January 2013

I booked this hotel in advance as I had a meeting in Cambridge. I went with with my wife to make a weekend of it. I am glad I did as both the Sorrento and Cambridge are fantastic. I don't agree with some of the reviews as I had a nice modern room, great Italian food served with a smile. The staff really seem to care and were very helpful. I would very much like to return to Cambridge and I will without question sta at the Sorrento again. Just one thing Cambridge is expensive so be prepared for expensive drinks especially in the city.

Room Tip: ask for a large room or the deluxe for a treat
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Giovanni g
cambridge
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We visited this hotel for a meal on the £10 meal deal from the CEN. As soon as we walked in from the car park we noticed how scuffy the entrance looked. It looked like a dumping ground for things.The restaurant was chilly and it also seemed to be a dumping ground for things including a BBQ in the corner. The decoration was dated and the ceiling tiles stained. Half the blinds in the conservatory were pulled up and half pulled down!!
The food was poor, not very hot, and not much of it. But worse was too come. The man behind the bar who should have been doing our bill, didn't seem to be fully awake and had got all the bills muddled up. After waiting for about 10 minutes,and asking the waitress twice we went to the bar ourselves and helped him sort out ours!!! A dated overpriced(if you pay full price, we didn't thank goodness) hotel. Obviously seen better days and still run by the same family. They need some new staff in to bring a bit of life it to and somee fresh ideas.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

Bristol
Reviewed 12 October 2012

I attended a large family gathering recetnly and was very impressed with the Sorrento.

The staff were welcoming and very efficient. The bar and waiter service was particularly slick. The food portions were generous and delicious.

I would thoroughly recommend the venue for a large reception/family gathering. Members of the family that stayed at the hotel were very positive about the rooms, amenities and the quality of the breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank GBristol
Portsmouth
Reviewed 4 October 2012

I stayed for two nights at this hotel in the summer of 2012. It was very hot at the time and was unbearably hot in the room as there is no air conditioning. I was kept awake half the night by what sounded like the noise of a flushing toilet. There must have been water pipes in the wall or under the floorboards that were really noisy. I did not enjoy the breakfast as the sausage tasted liked it was made of salt! I would not go back to this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business