“Lovely hotel”
Review of Sorrento Hotel

Sorrento Hotel
Ranked #24 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Stayed at the Sorrento Hotel for one night when attending an event at The Junction. Very convenient walking distance for this venue. The room was lovely - more like a proper bedroom than a hotel room, the place was clean and the breakfast was great. The staff were friendly and helpful and there's free parking behind the hotel. The hotel has a really nice feel/decor - slightly quaint but not in a shabby way. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Sorrento Hotel

Reviewed 31 October 2013

We were booked into stay at the Sorrento.Upon arrival we noticed a bad smell when we entered.The place is very dated in most parts but to be fair the bathrooms looked quite modern. We were greeted by a friendly receptionist who asked us what time we would be eating as we were booked to have an evening meal. We both decided that the place did not appeal to us and so we decided not to dine.We then went up to our room. The room was quite dated and we could still smell an unpleasant odour.We decided not to stay. As it was my company that booked the hotel through a booking agency we were not refunded our money which added further to our disappointment . My company had paid £145 which in my opinion is way over priced!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We stayed 5 nights with my wife in September, visiting our foreign graduate student son, who is renting an apartment at a walking distance from the Sorrento Hotel.
This is the only reason we chose it, although the 125 pound door price is expensive for what they offer. The standard room was small but clean, the family staff polite and helpful, the breakfast OK and the dinner also, if you like to eat alone in a large dining-room.
Are we going to return? Yes, if our son doesn't change address.

Room Tip: Do not take a standard room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I stayed here for one night on 1 October 2013, on a business trip. It's well located - walking distance from the station, and a slightly longer walk into the city centre (about 1.5 miles), but close to bus stops etc. It was great value for money - cheaper than most of the alternatives I looked at, especially given its location - Cambridge can be extortionately expensive.
I stayed in a superior single room, room 115. It was very clean, but did remind me somewhat of my childhood bedroom in the 1970s in terms of decor and presentation. The single divan was very high and extremely springy! - but comfortable, and I slept well. The bathroom was clean and equipped with a shower, but the "tray" (it was kind of like a small bath, but wouldn't be large enough to use as one) was chipped and stained.

The free wifi was good, and can be used for up to 5 devices - handy for business travellers.

On arrival, I was tired after a 5 hour journey, so when the friendly receptionist asked if I'd like dinner in the hotel's Italian restaurant, I thought "why not?" and booked it. There is a pub next door and apparently other places to eat nearby, but the idea of not having to go anywhere was appealing. I really wish I hadn't bothered. I ate alone in the restaurant, not a single other guest, so the atmosphere, despite the slightly loud motown music, was flat. Service was attentive and considerate without being intrusive, but the food was average at best. The menu isn't terribly varied, although you can see this from the copy in your room, so it didn't surprise me. I ordered some sort of chicken dish in a "chilli tomato sauce" which was served with vegetables and roast potatoes. The chicken itself was nicely cooked and very hot, but the tomato sauce was not very fresh or spicy, and rather a bit too salty (and I like salt). The roast potatoes were English style, and tasted like they'd been left out to dry and then reheated, not great (reminded me of school dinners). Carrot batons - ok. And then some sort of ratatouille type veggie dish - cold (not even tepid) aubergines, courgettes and peppers in a different type of tomato sauce. An ok limoncello cheesecake for desert was spoiled by the addition of chocolate sauce and cocoa powder.
Having said that, breakfast was nice, hot fresh and well cooked, and there were cereals and pastries available too - and Happy Shopper low fat yoghurt (4 for £1.29!) if you wanted it. Breakfast was busier, and the atmosphere in the restaurant was much nicer (same music playing in the background).

To me, this kind of summed up my experience of the hotel - lovely cooked breakfast, and Happy Shopper yoghurt. There are some very good things about this hotel, not least the helpful staff and cleanliness, but the appearance is dated and they seem not to have thought about the overall impression created.

Room Tip: The superior single room was small but adequate, so I dread to think how small the small single room...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 September 2013

To be fair, I don't think it is the intention of the Sorrento Hotel to cater to the business traveler. On the positive side the management was friendly and the hotel was very clean.

The hotel is a renovated Victorian house with various room sizes and types. My room was very small, approximately 10 x 12 feet. It did not have a closet, instead a small wardrobe. a very small desk, and very few free electrical outlets. Neither I nor my two co-workers were able to get the free Wi-Fi code sent to our international phones so it was difficult to work in the room. It is not centrally located, about a 25 minute walk from city center.

Room Tip: I would look at the room before checking in to see if it will meet your needs. One tall co-worker h...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 July 2013

The hotel time forgot, shabby outdated and tatty. Very clean and fabulous staff but definitely not worth the £125 price tag. Find yourself a nice b&b instead. The breakfast was very good didn't try evening meals.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 25 June 2013

I stayed here overnight and was greeted by cheerful receptionist who didn't mind re-doing my electronic card again after didn't work.
The room itself appeared to be really dated in decor although I suspect this was new as good condition. There was a odour within the room and corridors whilst not pleasant couldn't really associate it with anything specific. The bath room had half a bath which it'd not seen before and the water pressure in the shower appeared to be on vacation too.
I didn't try the restaurant so can't comment.
The bed was extremely comfy but was let down by thin walls to the side and above ( clear lack of zzzzzzzz) and could hear other guests quite clearly.
Breakfast good and taxi arrived to take me away really quickly.

Room Tip: Go for the top floor
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business