“Friendly Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Limerick, Ireland
“Friendly Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

Stayed with friends in this hotel last week, just for one night B&B basis.
It is a family run property ( Italian) and everybody on staff were extremely friendly. The rooms were very clean and comfortable with good quality bathrooms.
Breakfast was excellent, served to your table and the restaurant decor was fabulous.
The number 3 bus stops right outside the hotel with frequent services to and from the city centre.
The railway station is also very close.
The location of the hotel is excellent for anybody wanting to explore Cambridge city centre, with it's many historical sights.
The price was very competitive when compared with other hotels in the area.
Overall, it was good value for money, our brief stay there was very pleasant and I would certainly return there should an opportunity arise again.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed to be of equal quality
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

..I think they are embarrassed to do so. Especially at the price. Where shall I start? Well the first room had a broken light and radiator, and so they kindly moved me into the 'honeymoon suite' .... four poster, Jacuzzi, sauna ... but really only a 1970's bedroom 'done posh'. The telephone/alarm clock said it was 2005 (I re-set it BTW) but actually that was ambitious - the hotel and its rooms are dated and much as others have described on this site. The food on the first night was passable, on the second the main courses, (I was with a colleague), were poor. It was cold in the restaurant too - a cheap conservatory that leaked cold air at breakfast and dinner. Yet paradoxically there was no chilled white wine for Dinner (the wine fridge had broken)... say no more. The other clientele were an interesting mix - I think some were 'long term residents' I could have stayed to write a novel.

On the positive side the staff were friendly and kind, the beds were comfortable and clean, but this felt more 'residential care' than hotel. To succeed they really do need to upgrade and refurbish throughout, rather than just in places. I would not go back. But being Cambridge I suppose they will always have a supply of Sorrento virgins to try it out.

Room Tip: There probably aren't any.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Curlytoptwin

Travellers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

Guadalajara, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

Had a wonderful time staying at this hotel, everything was absolutely lovely, the room, the staff at reception were really nice and friendly and the food at the restaurant was extremely delicious!!! Here you can find real Italian food and excellent service!

Stayed January 2014
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

The reception staff were hospitable and friendly. I was reserved a double room downstairs with en suite. The room smelt strongly of mould and damp. After a few minutes I noticed a huge damp patch running up the corner of the room. I asked to be moved and I was without fuss or concern. I think my complaints has been heard before as there were no surprises on the reception lady's face. She was pleasant and offered me another room immediately. This room was clean and upstairs. It had a dated frilly four poster bed and en suite with sauna. I didn't use the latter but did the shower in the morning - slow, weak trickle of water which was on the cold side.
There was a generator noise somewhere over night, so very difficult to get to sleep.
The breakfast was ok, but I could feel the draught coming through the conservatory windows.
The bonus of this hotel is the large car park at the back and the good pub next door!

Room Tip: Not 121 - damp and mouldy
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

Stayed at the Sorrento Hotel for one night when attending an event at The Junction. Very convenient walking distance for this venue. The room was lovely - more like a proper bedroom than a hotel room, the place was clean and the breakfast was great. The staff were friendly and helpful and there's free parking behind the hotel. The hotel has a really nice feel/decor - slightly quaint but not in a shabby way. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

We were booked into stay at the Sorrento.Upon arrival we noticed a bad smell when we entered.The place is very dated in most parts but to be fair the bathrooms looked quite modern. We were greeted by a friendly receptionist who asked us what time we would be eating as we were booked to have an evening meal. We both decided that the place did not appeal to us and so we decided not to dine.We then went up to our room. The room was quite dated and we could still smell an unpleasant odour.We decided not to stay. As it was my company that booked the hotel through a booking agency we were not refunded our money which added further to our disappointment . My company had paid £145 which in my opinion is way over priced!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Athens Greece
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

We stayed 5 nights with my wife in September, visiting our foreign graduate student son, who is renting an apartment at a walking distance from the Sorrento Hotel.
This is the only reason we chose it, although the 125 pound door price is expensive for what they offer. The standard room was small but clean, the family staff polite and helpful, the breakfast OK and the dinner also, if you like to eat alone in a large dining-room.
Are we going to return? Yes, if our son doesn't change address.

Room Tip: Do not take a standard room.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family