“Excellent room, great location, great breakfast”
Review of Lynwood House

Lynwood House
Ranked #18 of 121 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Excellent room, great location, great breakfast”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We stayed for 3 nights last week and were pleased with our room ( number 5) which was luxurious with a massive ensuite. The breakfast was excellent and really set us up for the day. We found the location excellent for walking into Cambridge.

Julie and Nick were very friendly and happy to help with suggestions and directions to the places we wanted to see.

I would not hesitate to recommend Lynwood House.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
happygolucky50, Owner at Lynwood House, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time write a review and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Nick and I are always happy to chat and recommend things to see and do. We would live to welcome you back another time if you return to Cambridge.
Kind regards,
Julie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Stayed 3 nights in Lynwood house over the bank holiday weekend. The unexciting exterior and hallway belied the beautiful, comfortable room we had. The bathroom might as well have come straight from a luxury hotel, and we slept very well on all 3 nights.
The owners are lovely and were full of useful suggestions on what to do and see.
The breakfasts were the best meals we had all weekend: a huge choice and absolutely top quality ingredients.
I would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: The road is fairly busy so the front room on the ground floor would be quite noisy
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
happygolucky50, Owner at Lynwood House, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
We're so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay in room 5 and the breakfast set you up for the day. We look forward to welcoming you again the next time you come to Cambridge.
Kind regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I have stayed a couple of times at this B&B and had nice experiences both times. Decent rooms, if a bit on the small size but with very good, clean bathrooms and good showers. Nespresso machines in the bedrooms! Great breakfasts and really good choice of food. Julie and Nick are charming hosts.

Maybe a wee bit more than I would normally expect to pay for such rooms (especially as a single person in a twin room) but I realise Cambridge is a bit more expensive than some other towns. Good location for walking into Cambridge.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
happygolucky50, Owner at Lynwood House, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Thank you for your lovely review, we really appreciate your comments. We're glad to hear you enjoyed our new nespresso machines.
We hope to see you on your next trip to Cambridge.
Nick and Julie
Epworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I spent 5 nights whilst in Cambridge on business. I found the place immaculate and very comfortable. My room had everything that you expect to find in a hotel. Very nice ensuite with quality products, tv, tea / coffee making facilities, etc
I was made to feel very welcome by the owners who seemed keen to offer any assistance required.
The location seemed good with shops and places to eat near by and convenient for accessing the city.
I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
happygolucky50, Owner at Lynwood House, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us .We appreciate that you were really busy so thank you very much for taking the time to write a great review. We hope to see you another time if you return to Cambridge.

Fleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Julie and Nick made you feel most welcome in their gorgeous and immaculate b&b. Not only did we have a comfortable stay their help and advice of what to see and where to go in Cambridge was most helpful. With shops, bars and restaurants only a 5 minute walk away the location couldn't have been more perfect. We even managed to find some good cocktails!! We will definitely be visiting again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
happygolucky50, Owner at Lynwood House, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Thank you very much for your kind comments. We are glad you and your friend enjoyed your break in Cambridge. We look forward to seeing you again.

Guildford UK
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

I booked a single ensuite at the last minute, having read the reviews. Julie sounded easy going and helpful and the room was a very reasonable rate for one person (not always so easy to find). I was attending a graduation ceremony and only there for one night. When I arrived, my key was left in the safe box, so found my own way to room 6 on the second floor. Therefore not able to gauge the welcome I might have had. The owners were not at Lynwood at 5.30pm. The entrance hall is furnished and decorated very tastefully, but spoilt by a strange smell of fish!

This review may sound a bit on the negative side already, but it really isn't ... Just realistic, as there are plenty of plus points! However, As I entered my room, the very first thing I saw was a mirror facing me, which was smudged and smeared. This did not bode well. On second look, I was pleased to find the room very clean, as was the lovely shower room. Nicely decorated and a very comfortable bed. All in all really cosy.

My worry was that the radiators were cold and I wondered whether the heating would come on in the morning or not. Before I left for dinner, I phoned Nick and Julie on his mobile, who were out in Cambridge. He didn't exactly reassure me, but accepted my point.

Ironically, my night's sleep was only interrupted as I was too hot! Otherwise it was very comfortable with a good hot shower and the heating came on in shower room, but not in the bedroom.

Breakfast room is delightful with a warm Mediterranean feel. Excellent cooked breakfast after delicious yoghurt, fresh fruits and cereals. I really couldn't fault it, although I found Nick to be a little detached, maybe he's a bit shy. I realised why there's a fishy smell permeating throughout....They were cooking haddock with the kitchen door wide open to the breakfast room which is off the hall.

Overall Lynwood House is well worth a stay, as other reviews have said, but there are a few little niggles. No towel rail, no decaffeinated coffee, duvet quality too hot in the top of the house in small room. I DO recommend it for great location, lovely breakfast and overall cleanliness in a comfortable room and hope Julie and Nick won't be offended by my comments, which are meant to be constructive.

Stayed February 2014
happygolucky50, Owner at Lynwood House, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Many thanks for your comments, we always appreciate feedback and we will look into all the points you have made and aim to address the issues.
We're glad that overall you enjoyed your stay with us.
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Great location, only a short walk to good restaurants and bars; faultless room with a beautiful en suite and super comfy bed ; lovely breakfast and excellent hospitality. We would highly recommend and we will be back!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We're glad to hear you enjoyed your short break and look forward to seeing you again.