“Nice apart from tacky, outdated bedrooms.”
Review of Lovell Lodge Hotel

Lovell Lodge Hotel
Ranked #31 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
“Nice apart from tacky, outdated bedrooms.”
Reviewed 27 November 2011

Nice receptionists. Cute little bar. Next door to a weatherspoons- like pub. Rooms need a complete revamp- straight from the 70s plus the bed was like concrete.

• Stayed November 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Reviewed 23 November 2011

I have had to stay here twice due to work issues and moving apartments in Cambridge.
Perhaps it is because we have a corporate discount and hence get the worse rooms but every time I have stayed the rooms have been small, very worn and not that clean.

My room last night has holes in the wall, missing fittings and a layer of dirt - specifically on the phone which I tried to use to call reception on (which was set to busy as they were all watching football in the 'office')!

Yes it is cheap, probably one of the cheapest in Cambridge and maybe I get a bum deal due to paying less but I will be taking the first apartment I can find to get out of here as quick as possible.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 November 2011

I loved the exterior of this place, and the interior was very nice. The person in the receprion was rude and not service-minded at all. The room was not clean and the shower was disgusting.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 6 October 2011

We stayed in the annexe across the road - clean beds, bath and room and quiet despite being on the main road. Attractive dining room with elegantly laid tables. Breakfast service poor - waiters/help toooooooooooooooooooo slow - first morning they ran out of milk and the last morning of our stay brown bread !!! We ate a snack one evening - tinned soup !!

Room Tip: Suggest you try for the annexe.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2011

I only stayed one night for business. The hotel was very clean and the staff welcoming and friendly. My room and bathroom were clean and perfectly adequate for my stay. Breakfast was freshly cooked and better than many places I have stayed.
I will consider staying here again when I am back in Cambridge.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking side road are quieter
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2011

This little place has come a long way in the last couple of months. There are, however, still some disappointments. I stayed last night in room 306 which is a 'basic' room with a shower, basin and a single bed. There is a ceiling fan and bedside lamp.

The bedside lamp was turned off at the wall socket on arrival, which isn't a major issue but indicates a lack of preparation for a customer to stay.

The worst feature of the room is the shower does not get hot, I ran the shower for >5 minutes. The water inlet pipe did not warm up. There was plenty of hot water at the basin tap, but none from the shower. So after my cold shower as I was checking out I explained the problem to the 1st person who came to the reception desk. He essentially implied I was too stupid to work a shower, told me I should have run it. To be honest I wasn't in the best mood after my cold shower so explained I was perfectly capable of running a shower until it warms up if the shower would actually warm up. Anyway after a couple of minutes the actual receptionist turned up at which point the gentleman in question stated "you need to deal with him because I need to go back to the kitchen" good customer service it was not.

The young lady who runs reception took over the job of talking to me, explained that no other complaints had been received and there was nothing she could do but say 'sorry'.

I would rather not stay here again and would advise any potential bookers to ensure they're not slummed into room 306 but are instead in the main building where the showers work, the rooms are quiet and it's all much more pleasant.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms not in the main building. There are 3 buildings which make up the Lovell lodge don't...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2011

myself and my husband stayed on our wedding night, we had no problem booking and the staff were very friendly toward him whilst he was booking and paying for the room.

in the morning i went alone to the breakfast room and was not greeted in a friendly way, but the man at the door just told me in a very impolite and loud manner infront of other guests that i was not allowed to enter the breakfast foom without shoes on, there were no signs anywhere to let guests know of this. i was seated in a section around the corner and when i asked for no eggs on my breakfast i was given a strange look. when the breakfast arrived it was good quality but not as hot as i would like, i had to ask the waiter about juice and was told simply to serve myself.

on checking out we were not asked about our stay at all and as we had payed in advance just handed over our keys, the lady on reception did not offer any kind of transport even though we had bags and a suitcase.

Overall not the best experience but the room was however clean, there were extra toilet rolls in the toilet and the shower was efficient although the shower tray didnt drain quick enough and at one point i was worried about flooding.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple