“Don't stay here”

Ranked #31 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
england
“Don't stay here”
Reviewed 21 May 2009

The landlord's attitude torwards me was extremely violent. I urge anyone considering visiting cambridge to avoid this place unless you are handy with your fist as the landlord as a habit of settling disputes with the use of violence. True budget accommodation ( a company used by a number of corporate organisations for booking hotel rooms) have blacklisted this establishment because of the violent attitude of the landlord.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank hilltopbobEngland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Hong Kong
Reviewed 4 May 2009

I admit there I had an expectation gap, as I was expecting a more comfortable B&B style lodging. There is nothing wrong with simple decor, but the overall 'feel' of the place was more of a rugged, wooden lodge than a B&B (which is what the pictures look like on the website.) The rooms were very brown and dark (consistent with the pictures of the lobby on the site.)

Perhaps I was affected by the feel of the room, but I didn't feel 100% comfortable. The cleanliness of the rooms was probably so-so, though in the end I got a good night's rest. The corridors are small and the walls are thin, so some of my other family members did not sleep as well.

The location is ok, a short bus ride or a long walk (not recommended!) into the campus. They had parking which we appreciated to leave our cars behind.

Their breakfast was BIG, hearty, and pleasant, consistent with what I would expect from a good B&B. Check-in and check-out was simple and efficient. My room was missing a set of towels which they promptly brought to me -- good thing I caught the receptionist before he retired for the evening, though admittedly late after 11pm.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
Nashville
Reviewed 20 June 2008

The people working at the front desk were very friendly, although their English was not ideal. They really worked with us on our late night arrival. However, we did not like the fact that we could only book via phone and they only took Visa.

The hotel was a disappointment because it needed to be cleaned better. It also smelled like smoke. The breakfast was very good, incredible for a free breakfast. The room was nicely equipped and a good value.

The hotel is located quite a distance from the city center and it is necessary to take a bus. But it saves a LOT of money too.

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — smell
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travellers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

Malta
Reviewed 11 February 2008

My boyfriend and I have just returned from 3days at Cambridge. We stayed at lovely 'Lovell Lodge'. Since we were mostly travelling by bus, finding out that the hotel was exactly near a bus-stop was a relief. The staff was so nice to us and the check-in couldn't be any simpler. The food was delicious, especially the exquisite taste when it comes to 'Indian cuisine'. The room was spotless, and apart from a slightly-too-big shower head which makes it difficult to keep your hair dry (should one wish not to get it wet), everything was perfect. In this view, we definetly recommend this little, competitevly-priced hotel.

Stayed February 2008
1 Thank DorianneKonrad
London
Reviewed 20 August 2007

My partner and I have just spent one night at the Lovell Lodge Hotel, this weekend just gone.
After two hours searching on the Internet, and finding available, but overpriced alternatives, we stumbled across the website for the Lovell Lodge Hotel.
Our stay (for two persons, one night in a double room, with ensuite Shower, plus Breakfast) cost us a total of £60.00. Which I thought was excellent value. Based on the website the price does vary depending on the room, but I believe that the cost whichever room you require will be somewhere between £45.00 to £75.00.
The Lovell Lodge is located about 1.5 miles away from Cambridge City Centre. On the first night we got a Taxi to the centre - most of the Taxi's run on a meter, and as such the price you can expect to pay from the Hotel is approx £7.00 to £9.00. It's not the distance, as such, it's the expensive Taxi's.
On the second day, however, we got a Bus - which comes every 10 - 15 minutes and costs £1.50 to the City Centre - about 5 - 10 minutes away, by bus.
The Lovell Lodge itself we found to be very clean, if a little old fashioned. There is a bar there, but drinks are served from the bottle (if Spirits) or from the Can (if Ale/Beer/Stout/Etc). However, if you don't mind this then it's worth having a drink here before going out as the prices were really cheap.
There is a good choice for breakfast. As part of the price you can have unlimited Fruit Juice/Cereals and Fruit. Plus you can order a cooked breakfast (a bit canteen-ey) with a choice of Tea or Coffee...or you can order a Lite Bite instead, such as Croissant/Scrambled Eggs on Toast etc.
You can also have dinner in the Dinning Room, but this is ordered from a seperate Dinner menu and this is not included in the price of the stay.
Re: The rooms. We have T.V/Wardrobe/Hairdryer and ceiling mounted Fan in our room.
Our room had an ensuite, but it was shower only. It was very clean, but my only complaint (for want of a better word) was that the shower was a little snug and the shower head was so large that it was difficult to keep your hair away from it (if you didn't want to get it wet). You can twist the shower head to point away slightly, but this didn't make a huge amount of difference. The website does state that some rooms are shower only/some are bath only and some are shower, plus bath. I would recommend the latter.
There was also free parking at the Hotel, and we therefore didn't have to worry about the Car for the duration of our stay. FYI I wouldn't bother driving in to the City as a lot of the roads are Emergency/Taxi and Bus Access only, and the parking is expensive with a capital E.
There's not much mroe to say about the Lovell Lodge, apart from that we really enjoyed our stay (the staff were informative and helpful) and it's perfect for a Basic place to stay in Cambridge for a very competitive price.

• Liked — Great Price
  • Disliked — No Frills
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ellabelly1
Surrey
Reviewed 11 July 2007

I stayed here whilst visiting a local company. The company paid for the room but at a glance the prices seemed quite reasonable.

The place is more like a large B&B than a hotel but having said that I had no cause for complaint about anything. Check-in and check-out was very simple, the room was very clean with comfortable beds, TV, decent shower, ceiling fan (lovely) and tea making facilities. The bar downstairs was reasonably inexpensive although somewhat lacking in choice of lager (Stella or Fosters a.k.a wife-beater or gnat's pee).

Breakfast was cooked quickly, well done and served with a smile by a nice waitress and I was asked whether I wanted beans or tomatos, toast, tea of coffee.

All in all quite pleasant.

• Liked — The simple convenience
  • Disliked — Choice of lager at the bar
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank SurreyTimmy
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed 11 May 2007

Looking for a B & B in the east of town I stumbled upon this 1-star hotel, and it's REALLY a pleasant surprise. Getting for their price
* A reasonably large room with ensuite (though sink was in the room itself)
* A quality spotless large bed (actually one double and one single, but it was sold as a single room)
* Service with a smile, esp. at breakfast
* And a delicious, hot, full English breakfast
* Ceiling fan for the hot summer days, and good tea/coffee facilities in room

was more than I expected! Of course there are some limitations to an acco in this class - e.g. some noise from the pub downstairs, roughly upto midnight, and front side rooms like mine getting a bit of traffic noise though that too not in the real nighttime.

All 'n all well worth a stay here in the outskirts of Cambridge, with bus stop near the hotel for town connections!

• Liked — Quality rooms
  • Disliked — Some noise
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled on business