“Not great”

Ranked #27 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
London
“Not great”
Reviewed 9 August 2011

I stayed here with friends and as a base, it met our needs but I wouldn't take my other half for a romantic break. We were staying in the annexe which was clean enough but the room was small and quite cramped. The landlady was efficient but not especially friendly; this, and the family photos in the dining room made us feel a little like we were intruding in someone's home rather than guests at a bed and breakfast.

Oakley Lodge is some distance from the centre of Cambridge (20-30 minute walk) but I would make the point that it is very close to the bus route and the buses are every 5 minutes.

Our stay was ok but I wouldn't rush back!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mr_and_Mrs_Smith_7

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2011

Very poor B&B. Tiny room, even tinier bathroom. Window falling apart, although it would have been important to close properly, given that the room was facing a very busy road!). Lamp not working. Breakfast edible, but served only later than stated in the leaflet. Next time I would rather pay a few pounds more and stay somewhere nicer!

Room Tip: Don't book a room towards the busy road.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank mella322

Travellers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2011

The worst place I've ever had the misfortune to stay. Makes Fawlty Towers look like 5 star luxury! The rooms are disgusting, and falling to bits. Literally bits of wall falling down. All the fixtures and fitting are ancient and in a very bad state. Beds were stained, head boards stained, marks all over bathroom floor. Drawers full of dirt. This wasn't a mistake by the cleaner. The whole place blatantly never gets cleaned. Even our soap had been used before! Disgusting! The bathroom was horrific, pubic hair knocking around, stains on toilet, really not clean at all. I was tempted to go and bed down in the car for the night. The bed was actually comfy but only because I'd had 9 pints of lager. We did complain but were informed we won't find anything cheaper....maybe so but £65 buys a decent hotel in most areas of the country! The breakfast was ok, nothing special. Now the staff...they seem to have forgotten they are taking money for providing a service. The lady owner is very unfriendly, to the point of direct rudeness. Not approachable, not welcoming. And the place is way overpriced, the main budget hotels in the centre of Cambridge were only £10 more than this dive, placed in a council estate on the outskirts of Cambridge. Please don't stay here, the owners won't care if you don't! They must just rely on tourists and families of students, as there is no way on earth they will ever get repeat customers.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank QWERTY111186338
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2011

This has to be the worst B&B in business at the moment.

Upon arrival we were greeted with a nice man who ran through the establishments procedures and struck up conversation about me and my girlfriend's home town.

After this we went up to our dated and gaudily decorated double bedroom with 'en-suite' [pokey shower unit and dirty toilet]. We then had the customary check around to make sure everything was clean and much to our horror. we pulled back the duvet to find pubic hairs and normal head hair all over the headboard and bed sheets. Also, the remote did not work for the TV and the window was open to vent the smell of cigarettes that had clearly been smoked due to all the cigarette butts that had been thrown out the window and on to the flat roof of the below conservatory.

Naturally we went back down to reception to complain, by which time the pleasant gentleman had gone out and been replaced by his, I presume, wife. We took her up to the room to show her the state of it; to which she agreed was sub-standard and joked "you just can't get the staff these days" and then moved us into the room next door, again a double room with en-suite.

*ALL PICTURES ATTACHED ARE OF THE SECOND ROOM*

Unfortunately, I can't write a glowing report about this room either. Again, riddled with pubic hair, dirty sheets, and a disgracefully unhygienic shower unit. In dismay, me and my girlfriend decided that we were going to go back out into the city with all of our stuff to find a different B&B before saying that we wanted a refund and be on our way (in case, heaven forbid, we had to stay there).

So an hour passed and we found somewhere else and on our return to Oakley Lodge we asked for a refund as the standard of cleanliness was far below habitable! Her first reply to this was "you have paid £55, take it or leave it - you have paid through LateRooms.com and you have to give me a 24-hour period before cancellation". It would appear she didn't understand the difference between a cancellation and having to leave due to the lack of cleanliness and standard of care shown for the provided accommodation.

As she was unaware that myself and my girlfriend had been away for an hour looking for another B&B, she accused us both of causing the pubic hairs on the bed, and the long head hair was also supposed to be our's even though I have a short cut, and my girlfriend has a bob?!

She outright refused to give us a refund and she sat at reception typing away at her computer whilst I tried to plea with her to give me my money back so that we could get on with our Valentines weekend in peace. Eventually she walked out into the back so that we couldn't see her or indeed talk to her. This was a daunting situation to be in when you are 19 and haven't been away very often, luckily I had the confidence to not give in and just walk away - £55 out of pocket!

Luckily I found the number for LateRooms.com Customer Service on my phone and whilst they left me on hold to phone the B&B directly, it was only the point where the LateRooms.com representative threatened to pull her off the site, did she give in and process our refund.

I felt like Matt Allwright off the BBC's Rogue Traders - it was truly a horrible experience and we were only dealing with her for 2 hours or so!!

Overall, I think I'll just let the pictures speak for themselves...

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank aa-thomoz
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2011

At first the hotel didn't seem too bad, dated and basic but didn't expect much more for the price. However, once we had managed to get into our room, we noticed that the bedding was covered with pubic hair! After asking for a new room, we were taken to a further disgusting room in a similar state. The hotel owner's response was "well the beds probably haven't been changed". So they clearly believe that it is acceptable to allow paying guests to sleep in extremely unclean beds!! After finding an alternative b&b for the night, we calmly enxplained that we were unsatisfied with the state of both rooms, and would like our money back. I have never before met a woman like the one on the desk... she told us we couldn't have our money back, and so pretended to work on her computer while ignoring us completely. Good way to treat customers?! Eventually we rang laterooms.com who were extremely helpful and threatened to remove oakley lodge from their site if they did not give us a full refund. The woman (if you can even call her that) came back to the desk looking very sorry for herself, but still didn't say a word. Will never forget oakley lodge, FOR ALL THE WRONG REASONS! Save yourself a lot of time and hastle, don't even consider booking a room here, there was a very nice b&b just across the road!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bethiamorris
Springfield, Illinois
Reviewed 6 January 2011

We stayed at Oakley lodge in cambridge recently due to a wedding trip. This people were very nice when we were reserving this accomodation from USA. It was a total nightmare when we arrived. The ladies at the register were rude, unfriendly and unkind to strangers. They know we were new, but didn't care. They refused to turn the heat on "the heat kicks on in the night only they said. Rooms were unclean. When we requested for clean sheets and towels, they brought them and place them on the floor by the door. This was the worst experience we've ever had going to Europe on vacation. I will never recommend this place to anyone. I actually told them they were going to get a bad review from us "I dont care the little old lady said" They refused to share their names.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kate60887
Newport, Shropshire, UK
Reviewed 27 October 2010

We were really pleased with this B&B, it was lovely and clean, homely and everyone was very friendly. The breakfast was excellent and there was a very comfortable seating area. One of the best things was the great parking, we had a VW camper van to accommodate and soon learnt that Cambridge is not the most welcoming city when it comes to road users and the thought of navigating the city centre and maybe having to use a hotel underground or multi storey car park gave us the shivers!
I would happily recommend this B&B to others, if you're looking for a boutique hotel (beautiful but impersonal) then keep looking but if you want comfort and value for money then the Oakley Lodge is perfect.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family