“Ignore the negative reviews!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Review of Oakley Lodge

Oakley Lodge
Ranked #27 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Bournemouth
“Ignore the negative reviews!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed 6 May 2013

I nearly didn't book here due to the bad reviews HOWEVER I am SO glad I did!!!!! It is a lovely place to stay! Good location, friendly owners, comfy and welcoming accommodation, excellent breakfast! I wonder how many of the negative reviews are from other local hotels! Yes the decor isn't the most modern but it's neat and tidy, the bedding is clean, beds comfy (we had two rooms to this is based on te two rooms). I'm sure if you walk around with a fine tooth comb you may find things to whinge about, there are always people who are never happy unless they are moaning! There's a review from a lady whining about no heating or hot water...this was explained to me by the owner and the boiler broke in the evening! They couldn't get an engineer out until the morning. The lady was immediately given a heater for her room and offered to use the showers on the opposite side of the house (there are two boilers as it's 3 houses joined). She was also refunded and yet still chose to moan! Another whine in the reviews was about 'there was no water'. The water company cut a pipe outside by accident and it took a couple of hours to fix...hardly the guest houses fault! Come on guys, get real. If you want the Hilton then book the Hilton! This place is great value for money and I'd recommend it to everyone!!!! Oh, and yes there is a dog there BUT he is the cutest and friendliest dog ever, doesn't smell AT ALL and stays out of the way unless invited to say hello!!! I'd highly recommend Oakley Lodge to anyone looking for homely, comfrstable accommodation at an affordable price. In the words of Arnie....'I'll be back!'

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Tracy W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2012

Never again - first impressions count and I should have walked out as soon as I could. But my company had booked me in and paid so I was stuck there, late at night with little other option given the late time. The whole place was dirty with a odour I could have lived without and after a very restless night I walked out as soon as I could and found a much better GH just along the road [cleaner, friendlier and very reasonable - was even given a discount after telling them of my experience at the Oakley Lodge GH]. Anyway IF you are thinking of using this GH, do NOT pay in advance, take a look around - especially at the room they are thinking of sticking you in and if you think it's not as bad as I did - book in. If not walk away, which I think you will do after making your own mind up. Oh, if you ride a motorcycle do not even think of stopping there - or even walking through the door as whilst I was there for my brief stay, one walked in asking about a room and almost had his head bitten off whilst being bombarded with a torrent of verbal abuse - seems motorcyclist are NOT welcome! Lastly do not take my word for it - take a look for yourself and one TIP - take some wet wipes with you as I think you might appreciate them once you walk out!!! But that's just MY opinion?

Room Tip: Just view it first before you finally choose to stay (if at all) Mine was gahstly, dirty and smelt l...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank William F F

Travellers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2012

I needed somewhere to stay for the night , for my 18 yr old and myself.on arrival the parking was quite convenient....there on it was down hill.
As we walked in,we were greeted first by a dog,then a woman came out looking quite grumpy,not even a Hello.Being in a service industry myself,I was quite friendly,and having read a review about the dog,i thought it funny.
After checking in,we went out to a really lovely little chinese place about 5mins away.once back around 9 pm,we needed an early night as my son had a Uni interview,I went in for a shower,but only cold water came out,I also noticed the heating was not working,after about 5mins of no hot water,i went down to tell the women,she said that she will have a look,give it 5mins...after about 5trip up and down the stairs..she finally said that her hubby would fix it but he was out by 10 pm i would have hot water,10 30 and nothing,i fell alseep,not even a call to keep me updated.
Next morning,still no water,I was told that the boiler for our part of the house was out,but I coulduse a communal bathroom at the other end of the house,the husband ded not apologize,he just said,well,there isnt anything i can do,you just have to wait for the bathroom as there is a queue...I actually paid an extra £10 for the en suite.

At breakfast ,there was another woman serving but no eye contact or a good morning,she tok our order,I noticed that the three people were very rude,ignorant and really should NOT be in the hospitality industry,iv stayed in quite a few B and B's and the standard of this was shocking...when I checked out,having no heating or hot water,had to adk for my £10 back....it actually snowed that night,thats how cold it was.I am shocked that these B and Bs get through inspection,as a lot of foreigners would use this B and B due their kids coming to study,I really think they need to up their game,I cannot believe this is their business,worst still,if they work for someone else.for the money you pay,you really need a better service,i would have put up with alot....only if they had been a little bit more hospitable. ...please pay a bit more and stay at a decent place closer to the city cetre

Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Sharmila R
St Austell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2012 via mobile

I have to say this is probably the best b&b I have stayed in for quite a while. The room was fantastic and exceeded my expectations for the price. Actually it just exceeded my expectations! Parking was easy and free, wifi was fast and free, rope was warm and clean, breakfast was fantastic with proper fresh coffee. You couldn't want any more really and I only paid £40.00 for an en suite room. One other thing that I find important, and rare, is that the en suite was marvellously clean and the shower was as hot as you could want and the pressure was really good. I note those things as soapy places have rubbish showers these days, not here!

Overall I have decided that I shall stay here for all future business trips to Cambridge.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank BroadcastEngineer
Port Charlotte, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2012

I stayed at Oakley Lodge when taking my son to Anglia Ruskin University and only looked at B and Bs I could get to easily from the University as I didn't want any more travel than neccessary.My room was ok and reasonable clean , only one or two hairs in the bathroom!! But it smelled fresh , although I did notice a plug in air freshener on the wall. I was right on the main road but I had taken my ear plugs so traffic noise was not a problem. I only met the owners at breakfast and they provided a lovely breakfast-very nice bacon- and I was happy with what I got for the price. Maybe a sachet or two of shampoo would have been nice in the bathroom , I had to go out and buy some. I felt safe as a lone traveller , I had a lock on the door and I had my own key to the outside door. Not a bad experience at all , despite some of the other reviews.Enough parking front and rear of the building.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Jane W
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2012

I regret ever going there. On entering the grotty reception there was small child messing about with a dog, and the dog was making a strange noise, and my girlfriend and I was told "don't worry about it, he's just strangling the dog". I had no answer to that.

The landlady was rude, impolite, and the simplest request were treated with contempt. You are made to feel that you are interrupting their day if you ask for say, to have a drink at the bar, which was never manned. I asked for a scotch on the rocks, after having to ring the bell for 10 minutes... she poured the whisky and then chucked some ice in the glass using her hands. And judging by how utterly filthy and unhygienic our room was, I would guess that she's not the type to worry if her hands are clean. I even had to add up the cost of the two drinks and tell her what to charge me. This is the lack of customer service that we are dealing with, folks!

I think the only reason I slept well was because of the booze I'd been knocking back earlier that night. There were pubes in the bathroom, there was dust and dirt on the floor and bed sheets. My girlfriend also noticed a stain on one of the bath towels - an unidentified substance - who knows what it was. There was an off-putting smell in the room - probably from the lack of cleaning and the terrible ventilation.

The breakfast was pretty average, but by that point my girlfriend and I were looking forward to packing up and leaving.

I would never go back.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AgentLenny
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2012

we arrived to find a note on the door, Back at 5-30, so we waited, and waited, then we decided to go to a local pub for a meal. On our return we were met by the landlady who said she was here at the time, in the back garden, in her deckchair, soaking her feet in the paddling pool!! she said her son was in charge at that time, then he just happened to walk in, and when questioned he said he had "GONE TO BED" no apology from either!
The room was small, pokey, and dated, the only ventilation was by a small window on to the busiest street in Cambridge (Newmarket Road), there was NO ventilation in the bathroom.
At breakfast, the glasses for fruit juice were stuck to the table and had to be prised off!! and then not worth the effort as the juice was very insipid, bordering on tasteless!! We heard another couple say "Well it might be fruit juice, but I dont recognise it!!
A lady near us ordered coffee and toast, "TOAST- - JUST TOAST" the landlady hollered twice, so the lady relented and asked for sausages, MISTAKE!!!!!!! as when they were delivered, one of the sausages fell on the floor, "PICK IT UP AND DUST IT OFF said the landlady, "THE FLOOR WAS HOOVERED YESTERDAY"!! then flounced into the kitchen, ----The sausage was NEVER replaced!!
I ordered scrambled egg, MISTAKE!! I think I was served powdered egg as used in the last war!! they were very dry, very powdery, and very very tasteless! thank goodness I had some beans on my plate to give a bit of flavour!!
£65-00 for the night, REALLY NOT WORTH IT!! but then perhaps the breakfast "Floor Show" was worth it!!!
GOOD LUCK IF YOU CHOOSE TO STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple