“Good clean value”

Ranked #27 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Luton, United Kingdom
“Good clean value”
Reviewed 4 August 2010

I stayed at Oakley Lodge for 2 nights at short notice (phoned that morning to stay that evening) and enjoyed myself.

Positive Points:
* Lots of parking
* Very yummy (HUGE) breakfast. Cereal (5 choices), juice (3 choices), full cooked breakfast (bacon, sausage, tomato, egg and baked beans) with toast.
* Easy 30 minute walk to Cambridge center
* Small convenience store 500 yards up road
* Reasonable price
* Room cleaned each day with fresh bed linen and towels
* Easy driving access to many small towns (Ely is well worth a visit)

Negative Points
* The walls are quite thin, so you can hear through the walls.
* Rooms dated, particularly the showers. Beautifully hot, but very hard to adjust the temperature.
* Rooms a little dusty
* TV remote didn't work with TV- it was a DVD remote, not a TV one!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Cambridge
Reviewed 3 August 2010

Shame you can't give 0 stars.
I booked the room over the phone, and said that although I wasn't sure what time I'd be arriving, it'd be about 1/1.30. Arriving at 1.40 - the B&B was EMPTY! and locked! There was another couple in the car park who'd already been waiting half an hour.

We waited a further hour, rang the phone for an hour after that (once we'd sought refuge in a nearby mcdonalds) and no answer. So we found new accommodation... FOUR HOURS later, the rude rude female owner (see below) rang me, left me an incredibly inpolite voicemail "presuming you've decided not to stay with us after all" - when I rang her back she made it sounds as if it was *my* fault for not waiting in the car park for hours - she said she'd been in at 1 and just "popped out" (until 4 or 5???). Terrible service, no sniff of an apology or an acknowledgement that perhaps it was her inconveniencing me and not the other way round. Obviously have no regard or respect for customers and no, nowhere NEAR Cambridge city centre!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank klayare

Travellers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2010

The price was quite reasonable for a double-bed room though I requested a single room. The location wasn't bad. My room's door was at the backyard which can be easily reached by strangers and this might be not comfortable for some people. However, it wasn't big a deal for me. I had a one bad experience when two dogs, belonged to the family running the place, barked and chased me when I was leaving in the morning and if I had a serious problem with dogs, I would have got a heart attack. I didn't try the breakfast due to my laziness and the early times they have for the breakfast. People were friendly. Furniture was quite old.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
West Midlands
Reviewed 20 February 2010

Our stay at Oakley Lodge was fine. We stayed for 2 nights in a double room which had tv and tea and coffee set up. The room was a little dated, which to me was the only negative, but was clean when we arrived and cleaned whilst we were there. Breakfast was really good with a choice of cereals and cooked breakfasts to order with juice tea and ground coffee. The owners were really helpful when we asked about things to do in the town and how to get there. It was cheap being £50 per night for the double room and breakfast for two. All in all a good stay, would recommend.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 24 October 2009

I did not actually stay here - cancelled at the last minute and the owner was kind enough to refund my payment even though he was entitled to keep it, so on that basis I assume the owner is friendly and the service should be good.

Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Bedfordshire
Reviewed 7 June 2009

Dirty, dated and staff with no customer service skills whatsoever! Would not recommend this place to anyone. You could write your name in the dust on the skirting boards and our window sill was filthy and covered in dead flies. This is a very unpleasant B&B and we were glad to leave. They have a nerve to charge the prices they do for the state of the place, it needs full redecoration, modernisation and thorough cleaning along with staff training.
Its not in a nice area, we awoke early - due to the fact our room did not have any curtains, just flimsy blinds to see a police riot van dealing with an incident at the neighbouring property.
Car park at rear looks like a dump site.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sarahbabes
london
Reviewed 4 December 2008

The hostel is no where near the centre and is a LONG walk into town. The female manager was relatively unhelpful and unfriendly and the rooms do not have all day central heating! They are cold and so we froze! The rooms are not very nice inside - so don't believe what you see on their website. I even saw one of their dogs running out of the kitchen...not a good look!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — location was terrible and manageress was rude and unfriendly
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple