“Sort of... good, without being great”

Victoria Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #10 of 126 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We stayed here for one night, getting two rooms, both of which were fine but nothing special. They were certainly small all over, and slightly dated in decor, but.... fine, and clean. It was a bit of a walk into the city centre, made harder by awful weather - in the evening, we lashed out on a taxi to get back through the snow and ice, and it was GBP8, which isn't too bad between two. Breakfast was great. The whole experience was fine and functional, rather than brilliant. If I was coming to Cambridge again, I would look around for other places to stay, but not be too disappointed if I had to stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Martin W
CambridgeDuncan, Owner at Victoria Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2013

Please can you contact us, our customer reviews are very important to us and we want to act upon them. However, we can not see that you stayed with us in January, perhaps there is a mistake?

Reviewed 18 February 2013

I'm hoping the owners look at this review and see it as constructive criticism. There are little tiny things that could be done to really improve a stay here but i do notice that if anybody on here makes less than perfect review - they do comment rather defensively.
I will start with the positives. The host Emma met us and gave us a very thorough chat about Cambridge and recommended places and gave us a helpful map. The bed was very comfortable, a hair dryer (decent one) is provided - i didn't need to take my own and the cooked breakfast was absolutely lovely.
I couldn't say too many positives on the room as for us, there aren't many. I was on the understanding we had the largest room in the house. For us, it was still rather small and the bed was a double rather than a King - maybe photographs are deceiving. The en-suite was way too small. There is no ledge for your toiletries and once closed in the shower cubicle - you cannot physically bend down to pick them up without whacking yourself on the sides. I even had difficulty in sorting myself out after going to the loo as there was no floor space by the toilet as the sink juts out and occupies the only space. It really is like a small cupboard. Now i know, these things are structural and cannot really be changed but there are things that can. There were cobwebs under the mantelpiece and massive ones in the fireplace. I'm quite a nervy person with spiders and the only thing that made me calm was that spiders aren't usually around in February. But there is no reason at all why these should be here. I do feel there is more to keeping a room clean other than stripping the bed, vacuuming spare floor space and dusting obvious objects. There was dust in quite a lot of places and the decor was very tired and dated. The lampshade was 1970's circa as was the thick carpet style curtains.
Tea and coffee is fine but it really would be nice for guests to have a bottle of water? Glasses are provided as well as cups so was our water forgotten? I hadn't realised we had no water until we arrived back after a meal. I felt i couldn't go to the kitchen area as the door was closed and the kitchen area is then also blocked by swing doors. I needed water to take my pills.
Strawberries may look nice at breakfast but i couldn't quite understand why they would serve a fruit that is out of season and therefore tasteless and hard. It would have been nicer to serve a different fruit option otherwise there really is no point. There were also cobwebs in the lights above the dining tables.
For us, it wasn't what we would expect from a B+B charging £80 for 1 night. We have stayed in lots and lots and we usually choose ones around the £80 mark and this has been the far inferior to them all. Apart from the breakfast as the cooked breakfast was as i said before, very very nice and the hosts very pleasant. I think if the ensuite was a proper room rather than being purpose built within the room taking up the original room space, then space wouldn't have been too much of an issue but i guess for some it's more important to cram in more rooms for hire - which i guess i understand.
But for us, a room needs to be bigger, a toilet where you can move to dress yourself afterwards, a shower you can move comfortably move in and cobwebs dusted away and more of a modern decor (or not so more modern - but newer). This was therefore, not for us. If you're of an older generation, quite petite and not looking for a stylish looking room then this would be ideal.
A bus can be caught int Cambridge or you can have a nice leisurely walk which takes about 25minutes. On our 2nd day, we drove and parked in the car park at £1.80 per hour. In hindsight, I would have preferred to stay somewhere more picturesque in a nicer part seeing we had to drive into the city centre anyway.
I hope my review is not taken bitterly. I feel it's an honest reflection and with sites like these - i feel it's helpful for others so they can decide if it is right for them.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank cicitina

We were extremely sorry and upset that you left unhappy, returning guests are an important aspect of our business. We have taken all of your comments seriously. The views of our customers are the most important aspect of the business and your feedback invaluable. We endeavour that future guests will not have these problems. Thank you.

Reviewed 17 January 2013

Stayed at this B&B for one night, stayed in the single ensuite room. Upon arrival I was met b the owner Duncan, who was very friendly and welcoming. He showed me to my room which was a very reasonable size. The bathroon was small but was very clean and did the job. The room was also spotless, there was plenty of tea's and coffees provided. The room was very comfortable and warm. Breakfast the next morning was great, and I would thoroughly recommend staying here at the welcoming and friendly B&B.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business

Thank you so much for taking time to do the feedback and review, as a small family run business it means a lot to us.
Kind regards
Emma

Reviewed 1 November 2012

Location: Once you orient yourself to the Cambridge city layout, you quickly discover that Victoria is a mere 2 mile walk to the city center, where all the colleges and shops are located. Alternatively, several bus routes stop at Arbury/Milton and at the bottom of Union Lane (#2), and both of these stops are within 10 minutes' walk to and from the B&B. This is important because I was able to travel to and from, and around Cambridge and beyond without ever seeing the inside of a taxi cab. Even with luggage and backpack, it was convenient to take the bus from the rail station and connect through the bus depot to the 2nd bus that stops at Arbury/Milton bus stop. Same for returning to the rail station on my departure for London. The centrality of their location and the vast network of buses that service Cambridge makes a taxi ride almost unnecessary for everyone.

Arbury Road: It is a busy, 2-lane/2-way, primarily residential street, filled with semi-detached and row houses. Traffic primarily consists of hell-bent bicyclists and nimble sub-compact cars...basically this is all the volume that Arbury Road can handle without bringing traffic to a stand-still. Still, I've always felt safe walking up and down the street as there is ample room on either side for pedestrians and the neighborhood itself simply struck me as safe, even when during my late night arrivals from the city center. Within .5 mile going either direction of Arbury Road are small grocery stores: Bugens and Co-Op, where I enjoyed "playing local" to shop for sundry items.

The Inn: It was very easy to spot, even on my arrival. Homey, quiet, and warm (temperature-wise), it provided a welcome ambiance.

The Room: Mine was on the ground floor #7. I booked for a double bed, which was what I got. The room was barely big enough to contain the bed, so walking/moving space was tight. So yes, the room is COMPACT. Amenities-wise, it had the standard coffee/tea/sugar/cups and saucer, plus cookies (!) which were replenished if you eat them. It was the perfect late-evening snack while watching TV, which is mounted into the wall (so as not to occupy addtl space). Just opposite the door is a short bar to hang clothes from, excluding heavy outer jackets, which would occupy nearly the entire space. The radiator heater provided soft, warmth but without the drying effect of a forced-air furnace (that we use in the U.S.). There is a small table beside the bed which I used to hold my 22" luggage and loose items. My window overlooks the side yard and part of the garden beyond, so it was really wonderful that I was able to see greenery and flora anytime I was in my room. Diaphanous curtains for daytime lent soft ambient lighting and blackout curtains for nighttime pitch-black darkness. The old-fashioned, "ancient" key to my bedroom door took skill to master: to get it into the "cavernous" hole then turn the key to unlock at exactly the correct position. I like this nod to earlier times; it tells me that people in earlier times clearly were not as time-strapped as today's traveler who requires instant lock/unlock response from either manual or electronic key (gasp!).

The Bathroom: Even more compact than the bedroom. It struck me as a clothes closet that has been repurposed to serve the function of an en-suite toilet and shower. Actually, its dimensions fit that of a closet exactly. But being a petite person, it wasn't so much of a deal-breaker for me....I just needed to get accustomed to it the first night, having just arrived from Los Angeles. They provided shampoo, lotion, and hand washing gel in regular sizes (not those 1 oz sample sizes). Using regular size toiletries gave more of a feeling that I was at home :=) Bring your own face towel (flannel), as they do not provide this.

The Dining Room: There were ample number of tables in various seating arrangements for everyone, and they were well spaced, so that we were not walking on top of one another during breakfast.

The Breakfast: ENORMOUS. Thick bacon slices, huge sausages, 2 fried eggs, mushrooms, baked beans, 4 slices of toast.....this is full English breakfast at its best! This on top of the cereals, fruits, and yogurt available from the buffet sideboard. For drinks: juices and your choice of tea, coffee, or hot chocolate. HANDS DOWN, Victoria B&B's breakfasts were the BEST that I've eaten, during my visit to the UK, staying at various B&B's. Two thumbs up!!!

The Innkeeper: Emma is simply THE BEST. Always giving me recommendations....I got to visit Ely on her suggestion :=) Emma is very knowledgeable about the local scene, and enthusiastically shared these with me. Everyday, we got together and shared tidbits....that was always a joy.

Room Tip: Room facing the garden. Emma keeps a beautiful home garden, complete with a greenhouse.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank LGBATMAZ
Reviewed 14 September 2012

This B&B was wonderful. clean, well designed, great food, the landlady was so welcoming.. we went for our 20th wedding anniversary and they were charming and gave us a huge box of thorntons chocs. The room was large with a beautiful brass victorian bed, an ensuite with a hot shower, lots of fluffy towels and lovely teas. 20 mins walk into central cambridge or much less if you hire a bike - which we reccomend..

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa T
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We spent 2 nights at Victoria B&B. The room was ok, quiet, with all facilities but without being really charming. However, the location enabled us to walk to the center of Cambridge in 30 minutes and the breakfasts were good. To conclude, this B&B is a good trade-off if you want to stay in Cambridge but you must not expect something outstanding.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank carrierpigeon31
Reviewed 1 July 2012

We were a group of twelve ladies, staying in Victoia B&B for four nights - Cykling around Cambridge and nearby towns.
It was just great! The breakfast was splendid, the rooms were clean, bathrooms very nice and the hosts were so friendly and service-minded! We'll recommend it to everyone we know!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends