“Generally Excellent but pricey extras”
Review of Hotel Felix

Hotel Felix
Ranked #9 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Buckinghamshire
“Generally Excellent but pricey extras”
Reviewed 29 September 2011

Attended a friends wedding hear and made a weekend of it by staying 3 nights on a Dinner B & B package which was quite reasonable. Room in the new wing while lacking character or a view was very comfortable with nice fluffy towels and robes in bathroom Towels were replaced every evening with none of the nonsense about saving the planet ( or the hoteliers profit ) by re-using dirty towels. Excellent shower but in a very tight cubicle with a ledge in the doorway on which to trip or stub your toes. Restaurant meals were first class athough the kitchen seemed very slow at times.

My only grudge is the ridiculous charging for extras. A small bag of crisps sitting by the TV was priced at £1.70 and a tiny bottle of wine at £6.00. I realise that a good hotel doesn't come cheaply but I can't believe tha they get many takers at these prices and they squander alot of goodwill Likewwsie the charges for WiFi which should be free in this day and age but it was the crisps that took the biscuit.

Room Tip: I wouldn't want a ground floor room
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Hotelfelix1, Sales and Marketing at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 23 November 2011
I'm happy to hear that there were elements of your stay which were gratifying: our Dinner, B & B package is indeed very reasonably priced and hence extremely popular and our Housekeeper will be very pleased to know that you enjoyed the fluffy towels and bathrobes! The Felix's two rosetted Graffiti restaurant has continued to grow in popularity since we opened ten years ago, attracting the custom of both residents and non-residents.
I do hope that we didn't entirely squander your goodwill with our pricey (but very tasty!) crisps! It might surprise you to learn that in fact we sell an awful lot of the crisps as well as many other items from the mini bar. The crisps, along with the red wine, cannot be stored in the fridge together with the other mini bar items and so there is always the problem of where to display them. We are sorry that they offended you! As for the Wifi charges, I would like to let you know that this situation is currently being reviewed.
We hope that you enjoyed your friend's wedding and that perhaps you will return to stay with us again one day (if you give us warning we'll remove the crisps and wine!)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Korean first
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2011

We stayed in room 22 which was extremely clean and tidy although alittle on the small side. We were offered the deal wine dine and stay for free. The restaurant was exceptional, food and drink were excellent. Would recommend staying at this hotel as it is in nice surroundings and within easy distance from the park and ride.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Hotelfelix1, Sales and Marketing at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 18 October 2011
I am glad that you took advantage of our wine, dine and stay free package to celebrate your birthday! Room 22 is the smallest of our room types and though they are on the cosy side they still benefit from a kingsize bed, monsoon power shower and the same standard of fittings as our larger rooms. With the Felix is Free package available on Fridays and Sundays we do hope we will see you again before your next birthday!
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2011

We stayed in room 11 - The Penthouse Suite, for our anniversary. We had a great stay, the staff were very attentive, our room was lovely - especially the bathroom and the food was very good indeed.

All in all we had a lovely time and although we do think it's a bit expensive we would return and would recommend both the hotel and restaurant.

If it were 15% cheaper we would be regular customers rather than annual customers.

• Stayed September 2011
Thank you for posting your review and we're really glad that you enjoyed your anniversary celebration with us. Please do take a look at the promotions that we advertise on our website as you will find that there are many offers that are very competitively priced. I do hope that perhaps one of these deals will entice you back to the Hotel more regularly!
London
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Hotel Felix presents well and delivers on many areas. The rooms were comfortable, White company toiletries and homemade biscuits on the tea tray but it is expensive and could so easily go the extra mile to make the expense worthwhile.

We stayed for two nights, breakfast was not included in the room rate (£10 each for a very ordinary continental breakfast spread- cooked breakfast was more depending on what one ordered. The wifi was also an added extra (there's a complimentary first free hour) in this day and age this is a really antiquated idea!

The staff are sweet but the service is incredibly slow and the guy helping us to the room hardly waited until we were in the room before dropping the bags and turning on his tail.

With just a little more effort Hotel Felix, you could be worth the price!

Room Tip: Room 17 had a gabled ceiling and was very comfortable
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Your review filled me with the same crushing sense of disappointment experienced on reading 'could do better' in many a school report card. If I remember rightly my mother's words of comfort ran along the lines of assuring me that at least the teachers were aware of my potential and that I was trying! I hope I can assure you of the same: that we do have potential and that we definitely do try!

I'm sorry that you were disappointed with our continental breakfast. We try to provide as wide a variety of fresh options as possible including porridge, cereals, croissants, fresh fruit and of course this price also includes tea, coffee and fruit juices. There is also the option to simply order an individual portion of breakfast such as eggs on toast (£3.75).

I can only apologise for the service that you experienced during your stay. We do take the training of our staff very serioulsy and generally receive praise for the quality of service that we provide. Clearly we fell short during your stay but I do hope that you will visit again and give us the chance to demonstrate the high level of service which we normally achieve.
March, Cambridgeshire
Reviewed 19 September 2011

17th September marked the first anniversary of married life to my wife Beccy. To celebrate we thought we would return to the place where we got married and held our reception, and so we returned to the Hotel Felix in Cambridge.

When we arrived we were greeted by two very cheerful reception staff and welcomed us back. It was explained to us that our room wasn't quite ready. It wasn't a problem to us, our bags were taken and we went to the bar and sat and enjoyed a glass of wine in the new Orangery, which is a great addition to the hotel.

As we sat and enjoyed a drink guests for a wedding being held gathered and we watched the start of the ceremony, which was being held in the gazebo which is located in the glorious grounds. It brought back wonderful memories.

We then took the short trip into town, where we went punting, something even though we only live 25 miles away we have never done. After our boat returned us to dry land we took the short walk along the tow path to our favourite pub in Cambridge, The Old Spring.

After a while we took a cab back to the Hotel, the receptionist had our room card ready and our bags had already been taken to our room.

Our room, Room 16, was located on the ground floor in one of the wings of The Hotel.

I will just have a little dig at some reviewers on here. I have read some reviews on here that have made me laugh. They say the photo's of the hotel do not show the wings of the hotel, but the photo's do show the old part of the hotel. I haven't come across a website yet, where companies (not just hotel websites) do anything than show their best assets, and of course the old part of the Hotel and the gardens are two of the best bits!!! But look at the size of the building and its blumming obvious that not all 50 rooms could fit in the old bit. Rant over!!

Room 16 was a large room, which is comfortably furnished with a hall where the wardrobes are situated, a huge bed, flat screen tv, a couple of armchairs and lovely large windows. The bathroom was elegantly decorated with grey slate with a wonderful and powerful shower, a bath and we were provided with The White Company toiletries. The towels were big and soft.

We got ready for dinner, and left our room and went to the bar, where we were welcomed and served very quickly. We ordered two mojito's and I have to admit these were the worst part of our experience, if you are going to serve cocktails you must make sure the staff know how to mix them properly.

The restaurant manager came over, welcomed us to Graffiti restaurant and provided us with a couple of menus. The menu read list a delicious sea, with wave after wave of tasty dishes.

We were shortly shown to our table, and to our surprise we were treated to 2 complimentary glasses of champagne. For starter I had ordered pork belly, which was accompanied with fennel and a zesty dressing, it was superb, the pork lovely and soft and melt in the mouth. Beccy ordered a smoked haddock gratin, which came in a gorgeous creamy cheesey sauce, with the surprise of broad beans in the sauce, it was delicious and we were both left very happy.

Mains, Beccy ordered a fillet of Sea Bream, with purple potatoes and hollandaise sauce, whereas I ordered Venison Loin with a confit shoulder suet pudding, with shredded cabbage and sauce. We also ordered some chips and some honey roast parsnips and turnips. Both dishes were wonderfully presented and the taste equalled how good the meal looked on the plate. Both were sensational.

Puddings, I ordered stewed plums with basically a cream filled doughnut, it was gorgeous and Beccy ordered apple and cinnemon cake with ice cream, again it was gorgeous.

We took coffee in the Orangery and it rounded off a wonderful meal. Really nice.

We retired to bed and had a really good nights sleep, I did wake up at one point and could hear absolutely no sound from outside, it was silent..... divine.

In the morning lovely hot showers and then down to breakfast, which again was superb.

Checkout was faultless and the receptionist said she hoped she'd see us again next year....... mmmm there's a thought.

Our 2nd visit was just as good as on the biggest day of my wife and I's married life so far, the staff are magnificent and friendly. The hotel is welcoming and comfortable, thank you all at Felix for a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: Come here if you want a comfortable hotel with good food, great service which is not part of a chain...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
It's hard to believe that it was a year ago that you married at the Felix. As I remember you were as kind with your compliments after the wedding as you have been after your anniversary visit! We have sent you a personal email which I hope has been received? So it only remains to thank you so much for taking the time to post a review and apologise for the mojitos! This is my favourite cocktail and like you, I would be very disappointed to be offered a substandard version. Rest assured that all staff have now been fully trained in the fine art of cocktail making and those that haven't will not be allowed anywhere near a muddling stick! Best wishes to you both!
Stowmarket, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2011

stayed again last sunday on their sunday night deal [spend £ 130 in the restaurant and have the room for free] delightful room in the modern block.think it had been recently refurbished and was delightful everything you could need even homemade biscuits. Pre dinner drink in the orangery comfortable area that has recently been added followed by dinner in the restaurant.Pigeon to start and had a lovely homemade roll with basil, filet of beef fabulous turnips and beetroot and cheese [5][ to finish. happy smiling staff a joy to be there. this has become one of my favourite places to visit and relax. From some reviews they may not always get it right but i have always found it excellent. looking forward to the next time

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review. Our Friday and Sunday 'Felix is Free' promotion is always extremely popular and we have several guests return time and time again to take advantage of this offer. I do hope that perhaps you will become one of them! As our restaurant offers a seasonally changing menu there will always be new and delicious dishes for you to sample. I'm so pleased that you mentioned our restaurant staff as they work incredibly hard and as you point, always manage to keep smiles on their faces! We hope to see you again very soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2011

We got married here a month ago and I cannot say enough good things about the hotel, its grounds, rooms, the staff, the service and the food. So many of our guests have commented on how amazing the food was, especially when catered for 120 people. Breakfast was also delicious.

Many guests also commented on how fantastic and attentive the staff were and as the bride, I could not believe how well organised and smooth it all was, from using internal phones to coordinate me throwing my bouquet to discreetly checking with us if we wanted to purchase more alcohol for the drinks reception. I couldn't believe how they managed to eliminate any worry or stress on the day and in the run up, from having several people unload our car load of things the day before, to helping us pack up the next day, packaging spare food, cake and decorations for us, taking out to the car, and the manager even helping me take off my veil and laying it out beautifully in our room for me. They accommodated our every wish as if it was no trouble at all (I'm sure it was on many occasion!) and ensured we were happy and cared for on the day, as well as providing the same level of service to the guests. The bar staff both in the marquee and the Graffiti bar were friendly and personable and went out of their way to assist us. Sarah Lee, the wedding coordinator was an absolute gem - if only she could organise the rest of my life with such personal attentiveness, kindness and patience! She especially deserves praise as she is currently undertaking an additional role to cover maternity leave. How she remains so calm and on top of everything is beyond me.

I am truly thrilled at what a fantastic day we had and it's largely down to the professionalism and expertise of the staff at the Felix. Yes, it may be on the more expensive side of wedding venues but you get what you pay for. And it was worth every penny. The rooms were absolutely stunning, especially the Penthouse (11), what a lovely place to spend your first night as husband and wife. It's impossible to even remember all of the things this place deserves praise for, but suffice to say they gave us the perfect wedding which was everything we ever dreamed of and more. We can't wait to go back for a delicious meal as Mr and Mrs.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Hotelfelix1, Sales and Marketing at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 14 October 2011
You are too kind! I can only respond that it was an absolute pleasure! Come back very soon! (PS Would love to see some photos!)