“Bad timing”

Ranked #8 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Bad timing”
Reviewed 30 September 2012

We stayed for one night in room 14. Unfortunately, our stay coincided with the last day of a four week seminar and it was their 'let your hair down night'!
We were woken up by guests outside the main entrance to the hotel which was directly below our room. We then had guests leaving from 1am to 3am so there was a constant noise for two hours.
We had the worst room under the circumstances. We did get a good rate as we payed in advance. The duty Manager had been advised of the situation in the morning and offered us some recompense.
We would stay again but would be careful which room we stayed in.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 4 October 2012
Thank you so much for your review and I am so sorry to hear that your stay at Hotel Felix was spoilt by the late night merriments of a group of corporate guests. This is a rare occurance in the hotel, which is usually very peaceful.

Please accept my sincere apologies and I do hope that the recompense made to you by our Duty Manager went some way to make up for your disturbed sleep.

We look forward to welcoming you back, under quieter circumstances I hope.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Korean first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 September 2012

I booked a cream tea for two as a surprise for my friends birthday, I had problems finding a venue that accomadated wheelchairs and some were less expensive but offered less, we started the afternoon off with a glass of ice cold bubbly, we were lucky the sun came out and we transfered out onto the veranda which was lovely the staff made sure the seats and tables were dry (as it had been raining as most of July had) and then put the umbrella up nothing was too much trouble, the tea arrived and was faultless, really really ample food and never ending re-fills of tea, we spent 4 hours just enjoying the experience staff were attentive and at all times polite we ended the day with a cocktail and would love to return again.

Room Tip: The best cream tea in Cambridge....
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 1 October 2012
I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed afternoon tea at Hotel Felix and really appreciate your kind words, which I have shared with our staff. Our light and airy Orangery and tranquil garden lend themselves perfectly to an afternoon of indulgence and are proving very popular. Access for guests is not an issue, since there are no stairs or narrow doors to contend with.

Why not come back for a festive afternoon tea? Details can be found on our website. Just click the link at the bottom of our Christmas 2012 page.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2012

They take a card number to reserve the room and a card imprint to pre authorise when you arrive - but they charged the card overnight £480 in advance and added £100 excess for themselves just in case I raided the mini bar or nicked a dressing gown.
I resent them assuming I will defraud them before I've even got into my room.
In the morning they brightly said they were going to refunds my card as if it was a benefit and I should sing with delight!

Don't treat me or anyone else like a common criminal and assume the worst.
If you have a problem with theft then call the police.

Plus side, Stylish city hotel, clean corporate style rooms, beautifully tiled bathrooms. Good service and delicious food in evening restaurant (Adam) but they have removed every last vestige of soft-furnishings so there is nothing to help soak up the decibels. Our table for two was seated behind a party table for 14 and we left before dessert as the noise was deafening. (They still charged us for it though)

Cooked Breakfast was very disappointing ... staff disorganised, dirty uniforms. My one slice of black pudding was an inch in diameter and two millimetres thick, bacon wasn't fresh off the grill, mushrooms were old, potato pieces were soggy etc etc. This was food mass produced in the kitchen and served as if cooked to order. - yuk.

I left something in the room but Hotel not pro-acive to let me know. They can keep it now!
Would not go back here but looking forward to next Cambridge trip as it's a beautiful city.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Travevller
Thank you so much for your review. I’m sorry that you feel that you were treated like a criminal and stress that this was absolutely not the case. You booked online and put in your card details to confirm your booking. Upon arrival, a guest is asked for a pre-authorisation. This is standard practice in hotels. If a credit card is used, the details will appear on a guest's statement, however no money is taken from your account. Due to the fact that you chose to pay with a debit card, the amount was debited from your account immediately and this was indicated on your confirmation. Since you made your booking, we have new PDQ machines which allow pre-authorisation from both credit and debit cards without money physically being taken from an account.

I’m glad that in spite of your initial disappointment, you liked Hotel Felix and that you enjoyed good food and good service. Graffiti Restaurant is beautifully furnished and provides a vibrant setting for dinner. Due to the fact that the restaurant was busy that night and that we have wooden floorboards, this may account for it being a little noisy. Good to have an atmosphere than none at all.

You booked on a Classic Break, which includes an allocation of £30 per person towards dinner. This is an inclusive package and therefore not subject to any refunds.

I apologise for the fact that you didn’t enjoy your cooked breakfast, which I hasten to add would have been cooked to order. If a customer has a complaint, we always encourage them to complain at the time so that we can put things right.

If a guest leaves an item in their room after departure , Housekeeping inform our Reception team, who then record the item and room number in a lost property book. A member of our Reception team will make contact with a guest to inform them. It is highly unlikely that a member of staff failed to inform you that you had left your foam pillow in your room, but if they did, I apologise profusely. We still have your pillow should you wish us to return it to you.
Cambridge
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Bedrooms and public areas are elegantly and comfortably furnished and contribute to a welcoming feel. Breakfast offers a good choice at the buffest - but warn them if you are in a hurry and want something hot - which will cost extra, because breakfast service is a little slow.

Friendly and efficient bar staff, but the dinner menu is a little strange and the food that arrives is not bad enough to be truly awful, but nowhere near good enough to match the decor.

So..........I recommend sleeping and breakfast, but eat out for dinner to really enjoy your stay in Cambridge, and don't imagine you are in the city centre.

Room Tip: Ask for a first floor room for a little more privacy
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Mananer at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 1 October 2012
Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor. I'm glad that you had a lovely stay and that breakfast was particularly memorable. We do offer our guests a good choice from our Continental and full English menu and the latter is always cooked to order. I do apologise if there was a delay. We find that many of our guests prefer Continental breakfast, which is why we do not charge for a cooked breakfast.

I'm so sorry that you found our dinner menu a little disappointing, or strange as you say. We serve critically-acclaimed food in Graffiti Restaurant and apologise if it was not up to our usual very high standard.

We look forward to welcoming you back.
Birmingham
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Stayed for one night on the way back from Peterborough as my wife and I had never been to Cambridge. Had a room on the ground floor which was hot and stuffy, and it was not one of our very few hot summer`s days, only option to open the window which was noisy as a delivery truck woke us up at 7am - really no excuse for this as they are not a city centre hotel.

Grounds in front of the main house were very nice though, and we sat on their little terrace with a glass of champagne as the sun went down. Not really much of a bar inside as we went in for a drink when it got cool, devoid of atmosphere and small, but I suppose not many people from the city go there as it quite far out.

They do have parking but you need it as the city centre is a long way away, you also drive in to and park by what looks like a pre-fabricated NHS building which forms the modern part of the hotel, very uninspiring - and for the prices not really acceptable.

Biggest gripe is there is not much to do there, no spa, tennis court or other leisure activities - for an out of town hotel you would expect such things.

Cambridge is a lovely city though but would stay somewhere closer next time.

Room Tip: Stay away from the ground floor
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Don L
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 21 September 2012
Sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at Hotel Felix and that you were rudely awakened in the morning. Unfortunately, we are unable, to a large degree, to control what time goods are delivered to the hotel.

I'm glad that you enjoyed the lovely setting of our Terrace. What a shame you missed our stylish Orangery though. This was built just over a year ago to complement the main Bar area and has a fabulous cocktail menu and a really vibrant atmosphere in the evening.

It's interesting that some of our guests comment on the distance of the hotel from the centre of Cambridge. We are just a mile away, which equates to a five minute drive, so really not that far.

I very much appreciate you sharing your thoughts and feedback following your visit.
Buckingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2012

The rooms here are of reasonable size ( I had room 91) and of a good standard. Very clean and not noisy although it was on the first floor. I only ate in the bar one evening and the food was good but not spectacular. The wait was quite long even though there was only 6 people in the restaurant itself. Breakfasts are good and swiftly delivered.

Nice terrace in good weather for pre-dinner drinks.

You are 2 miles out of the centre of Cambridge so you need to rely on taxis or public transport if you want to get around as parking is a challenge in central Cambridge.

Room Tip: Go for the first floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 20 September 2012
Thank you for your review. I do apologise that dinner on the evening of your stay was not up to our usual standards. We have lost a chef recently, but this is absolutely no excuse for not delivering critically-acclaimed food, for which we are well known.

Hotel Felix is in fact one mile from the centre of Cambridge. Yes, parking in town can be a challenge at times, but we are fortunate to have a bus that stops regularly at the top of our road and is a super speedy five minute ride to the centre. Alternatively, a taxi fare is affordable.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Again, a hotel that came highly recommended, but I'm not sure why. Sure the landscape is lovely, but the room is horrible. I walked into bugs and spiders everywhere - they leave the window open for anyone to come on in. I had a horrible ground level room that was right next to some service entrance, as loud trucks woke me very early in the morning. The bed is terribly uncomfortable. I woke with such back pains. And worst of all, I had blistering bites on my leg from something that was in bed.
No - I will never stay here again! Don't let the high price fool you into thinking this is a nice place to stay!

5 Thank WeSawIt
Thank you for you posting a review following your recent stay at Hotel Felix. I profess to being surpised and shocked at what you have said about our lovely hotel. Our rooms are not 'horrible', but furnished to a high quality standard, in line with our four star, 80% AA rating. Nor are our beds 'terribly uncomfortable'. All of our rooms have Hypnos mattresses, which carry a Royal Warrant of Approval, which is why we invested in them for the comfort of our guests.

We do not have 'bugs and spiders everywhere'. We do like to air our rooms and in fact, the whole feel of the hotel is light and airy. As such, we may get the odd moth or spider, as anywhere would, but better a public environment to be aired rather than stuffy.

I'm sorry that you have chosen not to return to Hotel Felix and that we will not have the pleasure of welcoming you back.