“Great hotel”

Ranked #8 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Great hotel”
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I spent the night in Cambridge last weekend and stayed at the Hotel Felix. Its a lovely hotel and really friendly staff. The breakfast was great and the room very clean, modern and smart. If there was one thing I would comment on it would be the location - slightly out of Cambridge itself so you would need a car to get there. Apart from that, I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 12 March 2013
Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor. I'm glad that you enjoyed your weekend in Cambridge and hope that the Arctic blast didn't spoilt it too much for you.

The hotel is a five minute drive from the centre of Cambridge,or a brisk 30 minute walk. If our beautiful hotel were in the centre of town, we wouldn't have the wonderfully tranquil and peaceful setting which so many of our guests enjoy, or the plentiful free parking for 90 cars. Thank you so much for recommending Hotel Felix.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Korean first
Oxford UK
Reviewed 6 March 2013

A few months ago, following advice from TripAdvisor experts I booked a family celebration for 35 guests in one of the private rooms for Sunday lunch. I approached six hotels and only the Felix showed interest - with prompt e-mails and telephone calls which continued whenever there was a query.

On the day itself the room ,Hyperion, was nicely decorated with spotless tableclothes and cutlery; the food was excellent, hot and not at all like "event catering" The dishes, Hake, Chicken and Risotto, were all well presented. Each guest had their name and food choice printed so there was no "Hands up who ordered Chicken" palaver often associated with large parties. There was always a member of staff being watchful, both during the reception drinks in the lounge and the meal itself to ensure all was well.

My daughter stayed the previous night in a standard room and said it was fine - but the evening meal and cooked breakfast on offer was very good.

We began at 12.30pm and guests were still there at gone 6pm and there was no pressure to leave. All in all an excellent choice with good, positive staff attitude throughout. Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank travelinhope
Many thanks for posting your review on Tripadvisor. I'm delighted that you had such a lovely time. We pride ourselves on the standards to which we operate and the level of service which we provide for guests of the hotel, both resident and non-resident.

Thank you so much for recommending Hotel Felix and I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
London
Reviewed 27 February 2013

I wouldn't normally write a review but I got quite addicted looking at this site when I was choosing the hotel so here goes. First of all I have to say all the staff were very nice and helpful. Just a few issues though. The king size double premier we booked was in fact 2 singles pushed together, which didn't help for a great nights sleep. We did not get a chance to eat in the restaurant but at breakfast the service was slow and my partner asked for 2 boiled eggs runny and both times they came back hard, and as we had to catch a train we had to leave before they could attempt a 3rd time, but to be fair they did not charge us for this. During the night my partner did not feel well so I asked at reception for some headache pills. I know this is a hotel and not a chemist but the first aid box had 1 headache pill and a couple of lempsips, which they kindly gave to us. I just thought the first aid kit would be better stocked. Like I said hotel not a chemist, so my fault for not preparing. The hotel itself looked very nice, the staff were very good, it is a 5 minute cab journey from town but this was no problem at all.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 1 March 2013
Thank you so much for your review, however I'm sorry that you didn't have a good night's sleep. We have a variety of bedrooms, some with king-size beds and some with large single matresses which zip and link to make a double bed. We use a device called a 'snake' matress protector to ensure that the link is covered and therefore not felt when guests are in bed. However, you did feel it and I do apologise. When guests reserve a room and request a double bed, we always allocate a double matress and only once these are all booked do we convert twin beds to a double.

I'm sorry to hear that your boiled eggs were hard. There is no excuse for this and I once again apologise.

Hotel Felix is not a clinic, as you say, but we do our very best to help guests during their hour of need. We stock many items which guests may have forgotten to bring with them, including headache pills. Given the influx of winter viruses, we have had many people requesting pain relief and in light of this have ensured that our First Aid kit has been well stocked. I have looked into this incident and can only conclude that our Night Porter was rationing them and could have given you more if you had wanted.

As you say, our lovely hotel is just a five minute drive from central Cambridge and I do hope that you choose to stay with us again on your next visit.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2013

The whole hotel was too warm for me and my partner. Woke up stewing in my own sweat on multiple occasions and discovered there was no way to turn the heating down. We were informed at reception in the morning that the thermostats had to be turned on by calling reception or something like that? So this could have been our fault. Rooms were nice though and the food was good. Regardless it's just worth the price but it's nothing special.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lollingsgrad
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 27 February 2013
Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at Hotel Felix. I am delighted that you had such a lovely time. Elena, our Housekeeper, is fastidious about cleanliness and our chef and restaurant team take great pride in the food and the service that they deliver. I'm glad to hear that Hotel Felix was a pleasant surprise for you and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Set on the outskirts of Cambridge, the Felix was a pleasant surprise; offering top notch accommodation along with a fantastic dining experience.

The room was clean & spacious and we enjoyed a full unbroken nights sleep.

The restaurant was a great experience, the food was fresh and every mouthfull a joy. The waiting staff were attentative and knowledgeable.

Well worth a visit for a city break - wouldn't hesitate to come back.

• Stayed February 2013
Many thanks for posting your review on Tripadvisor. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Felix and that you were pleasantly surprised. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Norfolk
Reviewed 23 February 2013

The Hotel Felix is always a pleasure to stay in and once again in our tenth year of going we were not let down. All the staff were friendly and helpful, especially the receptionist on our arrival who ensured a very warm welcome on an exceptionally cold evening. The spacious classic room within the main hotel was of a high standard with just that hint of luxury which makes the Felix that extra special experience.
As we walked down the steps towards the car we were already looking for an excuse to return to the Hotel Felix ...

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Gosh, you've been staying with us since we opened just over ten years ago! How wonderful to have such loyal guests. We do pride ourselves in the warm welcome and service which we offer at Hotel Felix and I am glad that it is appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!
Chelmsford, UK
Reviewed 23 February 2013 via mobile

I was part of a large group attending a business conference at this hotel recently. I only experienced an overnight stay with a buffet dinner and breakfast, but all was very professionally delivered, and the standards were high. The location is surprisingly peaceful very close to a major road into Cambridge and the proximity to the town centre is very good.

My room was very comfortable, and very well appointed. The only concern is that the WiFi is not free and quite pricey at £3.50 for an hour or £10 per day when the room charge is already on the upper scale of Cambridge hotels.

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jeanne7759
Many thanks for your posting review following your recent stay at Hotel Felix. Since you were attending a conference at the hotel, it's a shame you didn't have the time to enjoy our hospitality for longer and dine in our restaurant.

I am so sorry that you were charged for WiFi. This is free to resident guests of the hotel and I am unsure as to why this would have happened. When guests check into the hotel, they are asked whether they require WiFi and a code is then issued to them.

I suspect that you may have connected to the Broadband cable in your bedroom, for which there is a charge. There is a notice in each room informing guests of this. If you did not see it, I can only apologise. I do hope that this issue didn't mar what seems to be an enjoyable stay?