“That will do nicely, thank you.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Felix

Hotel Felix
Ranked #8 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
“That will do nicely, thank you.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2013 via mobile

How you are greeted when you first arrive at a hotel is a significant indicator of how you will be treated for the rest of your stay. We were pleased with the way we were received: professional, thorough, informative. Every question cheerfully
answered, we settled in for our one night stay.

The hotel is conveniently located just outside the centre of Cambridge. We abandoned the car at the Felix, and caught the bus. Driving in Cambridge is not a good idea, with so many cyclists around. Shopping was very pleasant, with enough shoe
shops to satisfy even my discerning wife. A taxi back to the Felix cost just nine pounds, including tip.

Our evening meal was delicious, although I found the main course a tiny bit too small. I started with duck; slivers of succulent, moist breast cooked pink. Main course of pork was perfectly cooked, neatly presented and very tasty. A rhubarb
dessert rounded off the meal. Overall, a clever combination of flavours provided a satisfying experience. A decent bottle of red wine cost £19. Not bad, given the prices some restaurants charge.

Our room was well appointed, exceptionally clean, with a large comfortable bed. We loved the fact that the shower and bath were separate. As my wife soaked in the bath, I was able to use the shower. This kept us both happy. Overnight, the hotel was peaceful, with no noise from passing traffic, other guests or other sources. We slept well. Our only criticism is that shared by a previous reviewer; the lack of a 'good light' for applying makeup, doing hair etc. Personally, I never found this a problem, since I have no hair and stopped wearing makeup when 'Glam Rock' went out of fashion, but life is not all about me.

Breakfast, my customary full English, was good but spoilt by leathery bacon. Please Mr. Chef, at least make it chewable.
(I have my own teeth, for the record).

So, a very good hotel, a great location for shopping/visiting Cambridge, easy to park and wine reasonably priced. What more do you want? Oh yes, good service. We had that in spades. Thanks guys, we enjoyed our stay and will be back.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Edwin W
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 26 March 2013
Thank you for posting such a lovely review following your recent stay at Hotel Felix. We take great pride in our high levels of customer service, always, as you say, delivered in an efficient, friendly and professional manner. In line with other recent reviews, I am so pleased that you valued the ability of leaving the car behind and using buses and taxis. Makes for a stress-free stay! I'm delighted that you enjoyed your meal, however, I have shared your comment about the main course portion with Chef.

I also note your comment about the lack of good light for applying make-up. This is an issue that another guest has recently raised and management is currently looking into the matter.

On behalf of the team at Hotel Felix, we look forward to welcoming you back when you next visit Cambridge.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2013

The hotel was great, we really enjoyed staying there. A bit outside of Cambridge, about 25 minute walk to the main street with all the colleges, or about 4 pounds by cab. Good bus service too.

The hotel is modern, and has good amenities and service, very nice breakfast with our room, includes laundry services, and a very quiet location.

Room Tip: The rooms on the far east side of the hotel back on the entranceway, I would guess there would be a...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay at Hotel Felix and the hospitality that we offer to our guests. Many, like you, are recognising the benefit of leaving the car in our car park and getting the bus or a taxi into town. It's so much easier and actually works out cheaper than paying for parking in the centre. The hotel is set in wonderfully tranquil surroundings, so it's great to escape from the hussle and bustle of town and enjoy some peace and quiet.
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2013

I had a night at the hotel in order to entertain guests to dinner for a business meal. I enjoyed the decor very much (arty and quirky in the dining room and alsmost spa-like in bedrooms) and overall I found the atmosphere very relaxed and calm. I can imagine it would be a marvellous wedding venue.
The menu in the restaurant (Graffiti) was good, but not stunning if like me you are vegetarian, however my guests enjoyed the skate, bream and octopus amongst other delights. If there was a separate veggie menu it was not proffered and so I had an OK onion soup and very dry aroncini (Italians feed this to their kids- it is made of risotto shaped into balls and fried) , which was not on a par with the meat and fish on the menu in my opinion, but acceptable. the menu labelling covereed glutn but strangely did not flag veggie options.
My room was lovely although there was not a good light over either mirror to apply makeup; some hotels are much more aware of the needs of women travellers. I found the heating slow to respond to mmy altering the thermostat and my shower tray almost flooded but staff were helpful and I am sure sorted that out after I left.
Overall the vibe was great though and it was packed for a Monday-perhaps a reflection of the financial bouyancy of Cambridge as compared with other cities.

Room Tip: Some have pleasant garden/courtyard views
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 21 March 2013
Thank you so much for your review and for choosing Hotel Felix and our award-winning Graffiti Restaurant in which to entertain your guests. I'm delighted that you found the atmosphere relaxing and that you liked the vibrant design and eclectic collection of contemporary art. Indeed, Hotel Felix is very popular as a wedding venue.

I am pleased that your guests enjoyed the choice of menu, but sorry that you did not. This is an issue that has been raised with Chef and we will look at the options that we offer to vegetarian guests dining in the restaurant.

The issue of lighting is something that housekeeping and management are aware of, as is the problem with your shower, which you commented on whilst you were with us. Our maintenance manager has looked into this. I take note of your comments regarding the heating in your room. Our thermostats are not generally known for being slow to respond, however when there is an issue of this kind, we always encourage guests to report it to the Duty Manager who could have instantly arranged for an additional heater to have been put in your room.

On behalf of the team at Hotel Felix, we look forward to welcoming you back again.
Newmarket, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

My parents and i went here for lunch, we didnt booked and were welcomed warmly by the staff. On first impressions the hotel was beautifully kitted out, however when you look closely everything is slightly tatty and a bit worn. We ordered a main and a dessert form the fixed price menu and in total these two courses took two hours to get through! Not because we are slow eater but purely the time for lunch to be served. The food was nice and the price was ok, but i wouldnt recommend lunch here if you have somewhere else to be that afternoon.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Many thanks for your recent review. I'm glad that you chose Graffiti Restaurant at Hotel Felix for lunch with your parents. It offers a relaxing ambience and is popular for meeting with friends and family over lunch, afternoon tea or dinner. You mentioned that 'everything is tatty and a bit worn', but you don't specify what exactly, therefore it is difficult to comment on this.

I apologise for the fact that lunch service was slow on the day of your visit. There was no excuse at all for this and it certainly does not reflect our usual standards of customer service, on which we are frequently complimented. Without knowing the date of your visit, it is again difficult to comment further. I do hope that your experience will not deter you from dining with us again.
Cambridge, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2013 via mobile

My wife and I had a lovely and relaxed lunch here. The food was delicious and the dishes were all well presented. The service was excellent and there was a good choice of wines. It was nice to have a drink in the bar before the meal and take our coffee in the lounge afterwards. We had a window table in the restaurant and there was a good atmosphere - not too noisy and not too quiet. We would certainly like to return.

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 14 March 2013
Thank you for choosing Graffiti Restaurant at Hotel Felix for your recent lunch. I'm delighted that you had such a pleasant time and we look forward very much to welcoming you back in the future.
norfolk, england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2013

we stayed Friday and Saturday evening and had dinner included in our package for the Friday Evening
Our Room was very comfortable, the bed was massive and very clean
The Bar and Restaurant were lovely and very comfortable especially with the Real Fire roaring
our meal on Friday night was amazing - really tasty and the service was great
Reception staff were very welcoming and very friendly
A Fantastic Weekend in a Top Class Hotel with Excellent Friendly Service

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay at Hotel Felix and that you had such a fantastic stay in Cambridge. On behalf of the team here, we look forward to welcoming you back when you next visit.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

Hotel Felix has a delightul combination of old style charm and modern funky decor. The design of the reception and front rooms were at once both trendy and warm. The grafitti restaurant, walls adorned with modern art, served fresh and tasty cuisine and the staff were attentive and helpful throughout. In particular the front desk had impressive local knowledge (especially of which Italian restaurants were delizioso!!)
Our room had a large comfortable bed (it was tempting to not get out!) and the rainforest shower was luxury in a box.
We highly recommend a minibreak to Cambridge and a stay at the Hotel Felix. An A+ time.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 12 March 2013
Hotel Felix is a delightful fusion of contemporary style and Victorian elegance and exudes a warmth which many of our customers comment on. I'm glad that you appreciated the modern art collection which adorns the walls of the hotel, including beautiful works by Mary-Clare Cornwallis, Trevor Price, James R Mylne and Francine Cross, to name but a few.

Indeed, our beds are very comfortable aren't they and all have Hypnos mattresses, so it's not surprising that you wanted to stay tucked up! A rain shower, as you say, is a lovely feature too. I'm so glad that you had an A+ time. What an accolade and something which I have shared with the team here at Hotel Felix. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.