“Good, dog-friendly hotel, if a little expensive”
Review of Hotel Felix

Hotel Felix
Ranked #8 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We spent one night, with dinner, in Hotel Felix. The ground floor room was clean and nicely appointed, ideal for us and our dog. Despite the presence of a Wedding party, the food and service in the restaurant was excellent, although it is a little pricey. The wine list was good but again expensive.My only complaint arose the following morning when we arrived at breakfast to be faced with a menu that clearly stated that a full English breakfast was a £12 pp supplement. We thought we had booked a full breakfast but not wanting to incur a further £24 charge on top of the £160 we had paid for the room, we contented ourselves with the Continental breakfast. I raised this on checking out and was told that we had indeed paid for a full English within our room rate. I pointed out that he menu clearly showed it was an additional charge and after much discussion, the Duty Manager agreed that the wording on the menu was misleading but suggested we should have asked for clarification. No recompense or indeed apology was offered.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

So lovely to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Felix and that you were well looked after. Graffiti Restaurant is an award-winning, fine dining restaurant and the prices that we charge reflect the high quality food that we serve, which many of our guests comment as being of good value for money. I do apologise for the confusion regarding your cooked breakfast, which as you say was included in the package that you had booked. I am also sorry that you received no recompense or apology. This certainly is not the way that we usually operate and therefore, please accept my profuse apologies.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Felix

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Having travelled to Cambridge many times for business (about 1 hour from Kings Cross in London , but over 2 hrs for me this time from Leeds) I was looking forward to having the weekend there and exploring. The Hotel Felix is easy to find off the A14 or taxi from station. Set in very beautiful grounds, with plenty of parking and a wonderful large Terrace over looking the garden. It is a wonderful conversion of what was I am sure a Grand House. Good reception, very nice comfortable rooms - with desk and WiFi for working, good size bathroom with both a bath and separate shower - all modern and well lit (for us ladies doing make up) Big comfy bed with soft pillows and duvet ( so slept great) And the heating works or cools you !
We had drinks before dinner in the bar - great bar man - and knows his Martini's , the dinner in the restaurant - a little disappointing but probably just wrong choice. Good service and we endulged in some good Martini's after dinner. There is a fire in this open bar/dining room which I am sure in Winter helps ! I got a taxi the next day into Cambridge and had a wonderul day before returning to the hotel to drive home. Definitely recommend for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room which is any mobility problems would work (I prefer being upstairs but it...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

What a lovely change to stay for pleasure rather than business! At Hotel Felix, we offer a peaceful, warm and welcoming environment which suits both. The main part of the hotel is a beautiful Victorian Villa, built in 1852 for a surgeon from Addenbrooke's Hospital. It was converted into a hotel eleven years ago and two new annexes were added which contain the majority of our bedrooms. I'm glad that you enjoyed the Martini's served by our bar man. He mixes them very well indeed, as you say, in addition to the extensive range of other cocktails on our menu which is updated to reflect the seasons. We look forward to welcoming you back, either on business or on pleasure.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

I have just stayed in the Felix Hotel in Cambridge for the second in three months and I have returned home totally relaxed. The hotel is just outside the hustle and bustle of the city centre but is within walking distance. If the weather is nice the stroll down the Huntington Road is very pleasant indeed.
The Hotel Felix is a beautiful old house and is a haven of peace, comfort and tranquillity. The bedrooms and bathrooms are spacious, well equipped and spotlessly clean. My bed was extremely comfortable and I slept very well during my stay.
I had lunch on arrival on the terrace in the sun and it was glorious. Breakfast was certainly worth a visit and our traditional Sunday lunch in the Graffiti Restaurant was delicious.
The staff in the restaurant were exceptional on each occasion, very welcoming, very attentive and very friendly. The food and the service in the restaurant alone would make me want to return, even if I was not a guest staying in the hotel.
Well done to everyone who made my short stay so restful. I am looking forward to my next visit.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

I am thrilled to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay at Hotel Felix. It is our intention that all of our guests are well looked after and that they leave relaxed and with their batteries fully recharged. I'm glad that you enjoyed the half hour stroll into Cambridge. It's so much easier to leave the car in our car park and spend the money that you saved on parking on something nice from the shops in town. If you hands are laden coming back, you can catch a bus which stops at the top of our road. Thank you also for your lovely feedback regarding Graffiti Restaurant and the delicious food that we serve our guests. I will pass your comments onto Chef and our restaurant team.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

We spent one night in September in a spacious,clean delightful roomin which our dogs were allowed.
Although we did not choose the hotel for its food, we were really surprised at its high standard - would recommend a visit for the food alone.
A very pleasant stay, very helpful staff, and lovely venue - highly recommended.

Room Tip: Room 14 was excellent, check website for offers.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

I am delighted that you and your dogs enjoyed the comfort and hospitality of Hotel Felix and that the food that we serve in our award-winning Graffiti Restaurant was a nice surprise. We have a very experienced Head Chef who creates imaginative and seasonally inspired menus to tickle the taste buds of our discerning guests. We do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back when you are next in Cambridge.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

We stayed at the hotel for a family event, but weren't aware that a wedding reception was happening (I have been informed that it is in the T&C's). The wedding party were lovely, but the hotel was unable to cope with the volume of guests and didn't cater for 'non-wedding' guests at all well - for example, we couldn't get into the bar and had to wait absolutely ages to get a table for breakfast. Lovely rooms, some nice staff and convenient location - but check first re wedding and avoid if there is one on (unless you are with the party!)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Fuzzmeister

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel Felix for your special family event, however I am sorry to hear that it was affected slightly by the wedding which took place in the hotel that day. Usually, weddings don't affect other guests to this extent as the breakfast and celebrations take place in our private rooms on the first floor of the hotel, however on this occasion it did and I apologise.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

On our return trip from France we stayed one night here on our way north. Even though it was Saturday night (there was a wedding party going on) we were given excellent service and the meal was just perfect. Hard working staff intent on making sure the guests were all happy and fed well - what more can you ask?

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at Hotel Felix and that the comfort of the hotel offered respite after such a lengthy journey.

Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

We came here to celebrate a friends birthday and had some afternoon tea.
The hotel was lovely on arrival. We were not staying here so can't comment on the rooms.
We waited for a while for our drinks order, this was fine as we were happy chatting. The tea was really good, and after waiting some more we were given our sandwiches and cake, which were lovely. We asked for some more sandwiches... The waitress said these would need to be paid for, assuming they wouldn't be very much, we went ahead ... When we got the bill it was nearly £7 for 4 finger sandwiches.. This is very excessive. In most restaurants you would get a sandwich and a side for that price! We questioned the amount when the bill arrived, and the waiter said he would remove this from the bill, he then spoke to the manager who said just remove the 'optional' service charge. We were not going to pay the service anyway as we didn't feel that we had good service overall. Removing the service was not solving the issue we had. The manager came over and raised his voice at us explaining the cost.. This could have been handled better. Shame as it put a dampener on what had been a lovely day. The afternoon tea you can get at Harvey Nics is much better value in that case. We won't be returning.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Simaura

Thank you for your review following your recent visit to Hotel Felix for a birthday afternoon tea. I am so very sorry that you left disappointed, particularly on such a happy occasion, and the issues which you have raised are unacceptable. It seems that the person who served you may have misunderstood you and charged you for a sandwich, which would normally be accompanied with a garnish and crisps, rather than an additional portion of finger sandwiches. Depending on the filling, the price would range from £1.80 to £4.00. Please can I ask that you contact me directly in order to put this matter right by emailing sales.manager@hotelfelix.co.uk