“Wonderful”

Hotel Felix
Ranked #8 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
“Wonderful”
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

We have just enjoyed a wonderful weekend away and have been very impressed with the staff, accommodation and food at Hotel Felix.
We had room 17 on the ground floor which was spacious and beautifully presented - huge bed and armchairs and a good bathroom with underfloor heating, shower and separate bath with a TV. There is a tree outside the window which was a little noisy overnight but the weather was quite bad so no real surprise there.
The food was particularly good and a little expensive but I line with the general price of the hotel - the steak (sirloin) with chips etc was £22, for example.
The setting of the hotel was lovely - easy to find as well. We came to Cambridge by train and a taxi from the station was £11. There is also a bus stop about 5 minutes walk from the hotel and you can get a day rover ticket for£3.90, or a single to the city for £2.10. Although it's out of town it is well connected.
The staff are lovely and very courteous -always willing to help you.
I'd definitely stay there again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Lovely to hear that you enjoyed your weekend at Hotel Felix. Room 17 is a Junior Suite and it certainly has decadent touches to ensure a comfortable stay. We are aware of the tree outside the room at the front of the hotel. It is a mature Holm Oak and the owners of the hotel have recently appointed a tree surgeon to give it some love and attention. I am glad that you found the hotel conveniently situated. Like you, many of our guests appreciate our peaceful setting out of the city centre and find the short taxi or bus ride convenient and reasonably priced.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Korean first
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here and were blown away. The building and room was spotlessly clean, modern and aesthetically pleasing. The bed was extremely comfortable. It was not too hot nor too cold. On the subject of cold, the bathroom floor was heated ...fancy, huh?

The staff were friendly and helpful - advising taxi companies and somewhere to get an all day breakfast on the hungover morning after - and made our stay better in every way.

If - like me - you found yourself looking around for the perfect hotel to stay at during your time in Cambridge, guess what:
You found it.

We had the best time here and did not want to leave.

PS don't worry Hotel Felix, we'll be back!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
How lovely to be blown away... and I am delighted that it was at Hotel Felix! It was a real pleasure to read your review and we are extremely flattered to be referred to as 'the perfect hotel stay in Cambridge'. Thank you so much!
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Stayed for 1 night and could not believe the receptionist who was very unhappy, never made eye contact and quite rude. A shame as the hotel has some good features although rooms are a bit shabby. Not very welcoming although food was good and rooms were very warm

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank DenhamHornet
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Thank you so much for your review, although I am so sorry that your visit was marred somewhat by the demeanor of the receptionist who greeted you.We are so used to receiving extremely complimentary feedback regarding the friendliness and helpfulness of the team that work here at Hotel Felix I can assure you that this is not the way that our staff usually conduct themselves and I apologise profusely on his/her behalf.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I have now stayed at Hotel Felix a couple of times with work - the staff are professionally welcoming if not really friendly, the rooms are large and well decorated (complete with underfloor heating in the bathrooms!) and the food is adventurous and tastes good (if a little over priced for the portion size - but then that's pretty standard for the type of food). There's also more traditional 'pub classics' (eg fish and chips, curry, burger) available from room service for much more reasonable amounts. Although I have enjoyed my stays, I have had a look to see the price for a room normally, and definitely won't be going back in my own time!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
I am glad that you enjoy the comforts of Hotel Felix whilst away with work, particularly the under floor heating in our bathrooms, which another reviewer has also recently commented on. We like to offer guests a variety of different dining options, from à la carte dinner in Graffiti Restaurant to the less formal classics which you have listed. Many of our corporate guests opt for the latter and opt for leisurely room service in the evening. The rates that I suspect you will have seen on our website are rack. These are the highest rates that we would aspire to sell at during very busy periods, when demand for accommodation in Cambridge is high. We'd love you to come and stay in your own time, when you can relax away from work.
Reviewed 15 January 2014

The Hotel Felix stole my heart immediately buy offering someone to collect my bags from the car - how often does that happen in Britain nowadays?
My room was elegant, comfortable and uncluttered and I still dream of the blissful warm floor in the bathroom as I bathe in my chilly Highland home.
Dinner was delicious and the fully cooked breakfast managed to look very appealing with all the ingredients stacked elegantly together rather than being spread around the plate.
I am giving it five stars because the intention was so clearly impeccable though the service was patchy. I imagine that the young staff in the dining room and bar were exhausted after the holiday season and possibly not as experienced as the hotel warranted, so that food and drinks arrived very slowly. On the last of my two breakfasts they were clearly also very involved in removing the elegant Christmas decorations for Twelfth Night, so the gilded tree branches passed my line of vision frequently. But then I had slept so well that I was late and very lucky to be served at all! Anne

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Alexhol
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Thank you so much for your honest review and I am delighted that you enjoyed the hospitality of Hotel Felix. Many people comment on the under floor heating in our bathrooms, which is lovely if you have to get out of a warm, cosy bed in the middle of the night. Asking a guest if they require help with their luggage is just part and parcel of the high level of service that we provide to guests of the hotel. I am delighted that you also enjoyed the food that we serve in our award-winning restaurant, but apologise that service was not a little quicker.
Kent
Reviewed 12 January 2014

All day meeting. Very pleasant hotel good meeting room with good facilities. Good buffet lunch. Far enough from the centre of Cambridge but only 15min ride to all the tourist haunts. Good value for company meeting in Cambridge.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank NorGib
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Thank you for choosing Hotel Felix for your recent meeting. I delighted that you enjoyed your time with us. As you say, far enough to escape the hustle and bustle of town, but just a short drive from the centre.
London, UK
Reviewed 11 January 2014

We stayed in their most expensive suite - room 11. It was beautiful. Expensive, but beautiful! The bathroom was a dream. Friendly staff, delicious food that was fairly priced. Walkable to the centre of Cambridge on a nice day. Taxi back was about £8.

Room Tip: Room 11 (their poshest suite) has a fabulous double bath and a massive bed. The stairs going up to i...