“Good but not perfect”
Review of Hotel Felix

Hotel Felix
Ranked #9 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 27 May 2014

The Hotel Felix has the potential to be a real gem, the comfortable and well appointed rooms and secluded location creates a relaxing atmosphere. The staff did their best and severed us well, the food was generally very good and we had a perfect weekend in cambridge. The walk to the centre allowed us to burn a few extra calories.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank James G
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Many thanks for your kind words. I's so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had such a lovely weekend in Cambridge.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

First and foremost this is a great hotel just outside the main hustle and bustle of Cambridge and takes only half an hour to walk in or you can catch the bus which takes 10 minutes. Our room was clean and comfortable with nice beds with great views.

Having said all that there were a couple of niggles for me. First and foremost the Hotel Felix advertises itself as a pet friendly hotel but we were told in very unfriendly terms by the receptionist when we arrived that our dog could not be left alone in the room which was going to stop us going out in Cambridge as we had a booked a couple of meals in different restaurants.

It was only after speaking to the Manager that we were told we could as long we left a mobile number with reception. This apprarantly was because previous guests had allowed their dogs to bark and distrub other residents which I get but why should I be penalised for that. There is no mention on their website about leaving dogs along but anyway it was resolved swiftly, I just think front of house should be more accomodating

Aside from that was disppointed with the overall quality of the food. The Full English was very disppointing and barely covered half the plate. One sausage, one piece of bacon, one tomato - you get the picture. If I was paying I would feel ripped off but as it was included in the price I was not that bothered but it was not very hearty either

Finally had a meal in the resturant on the Saturday night. This meal was disppointing, raw potatoes were served, lack of seasoning in the food, service a bit hit and miss - I think we both regretted not going out into Cambridge to eat

Having taken all this away I can't fault the room, the staff and the room facilities and the great location with excellent grounds to walk the dog. Just a couple of things that need improving on

2  Thank EdwardBraisher
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Thank you for choosing Hotel Felix for your recent stay in Cambridge. It is in a lovely location isn't it. Just five minutes' drive from the city centre, it makes a wonderful bolt hole from the hustle and bustle of town.

Hotel Felix is a dog-friendly hotel. We accept dogs in our rooms, but not in our restaurant. However they are more than welcome on our Garden Terrace and in our beautiful grounds. What's more, there are some great walks close to us where dogs can be let off their lead. We do ask that guests do not allow dogs to be left on their own in bedrooms for numerous reasons really. It can be distressing for them to be left in a strange room and may cause damage to the furniture or bark, which could disturb other guests. Apart from that, we very much love dogs, especially the owners of the hotel who bring theirs each week when they come and stay.

I am sorry to hear that you found our cooked breakfast disappointing. We actually do an 8 item breakfast which we feel is fairly priced and guests are of course welcome to help themselves to delicious items from the breakfast buffet.

I am also sorry to learn that you found dinner in Graffiti disappointing. We had no other complaints regarding raw potatoes that evening. Did you mention this whilst you were dining so that it could be corrected? Seasoning is of course a matter of taste, but better to under than over season. With regard to service, it was a busy Saturday night and depending on what you ordered (which I was unable to check because it was not on your bill. You must have paid for your meal in cash), some dishes take longer than others to cook. I do hope that this will not deter you from returning in the future and that we can welcome you and your dog to the tranquil setting of Hotel Felix.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

The hotel is very well appointed - comfy beds; good clean rooms; excellent decor throughout, lovely gardens. However the food service was not good. one evening we waited for 30 mins for bar meals to be served, and had to give up waiting for cooked food at breakfast. The staff though were very helpful - especially housekeeping.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent review and it is lovely to hear that you enjoyed the hospitality and comfort of Hotel Felix. I am so sorry that you stay was let down by the service in the restaurant. For this, please accept my sincere apologies.

Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here at the weekend and was amazed at what a fab hotel it was. Stunning building and gardens. Room was very spacious, I stayed in a king suite. Really clean and well decorated. Reception staff were fab and really friendly. Nice restaurant and bar. Really couldn't fault it. And a good location for the centre with plenty of parking!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank LYDIA165
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Thank you for your fabulous review which I have shared with the team here at Hotel Felix. Great to hear that you couldn't fault a thing! Indeed our location, just five minutes' drive from the City centre, is one of our assets and we have plenty of free parking for guests too.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

First of all: In the UK it is better to book a room directly with the hotel than through the Agoda's of this world. Direct booking will give you a free or full English breakfast, whereas you get no or only a continental breakfast through an agent, at the same price.
That being said, the full works at the Felix are a bit disappointing: hard runners and bacon, poor mushrooms and sloppy potatoes. the toast is fine, though.
It is a shame that the Felix has no bicycles available either for free or for rent. The distance to Cambridge is a 20 minutes walk and busses are not frequent in the evening.
The outside on the picture is the only memory of the past that lingers, the interior is completely refurbished to the taste of a local interior designer.
To our surprise there are not many suitable hotels available in Cambridge, so in the realm of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Many thanks for your review. Indeed you are correct that we offer excellent rates and include full English breakfast for bookings made directly through the hotel. It is interesting that you mention bike hire at the hotel. We actually looked into this recently as we too thought that guests would love to cycle down the leafy avenue into town. Sadly, however, we had to abandon the idea due to... Health and Safety issues. Sorry!

Hotel Felix is based around a beautiful Victorian Villa built in 1852 for a surgeon who worked at Addenbrooke's Hospital. Since its conversion to a hotel, the owners have been very sympathetic and in spite of its contemporary design, many period features still abound, including the feature arch window at the top of the staircase, as well as the original wooden bannister. The bay windows in our restaurant and private rooms are original and many guests comment on the ornate working fireplace in Graffiti Restaurant. Some of the splendid specimen trees in our grounds must be almost 150 years old. We like to think that Hotel Felix is a wonderful blend of stylish contemporary comfort and 19th Century inspiration.

Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

Gd rate per night for the area and is not like chain hotels. It is a boutique hotel, food is ok but expensive. Rooms are clean and staff are friendly. Definitely recommend this hotel to others who want a change in the usual chain hotels that you get in the area.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Hotel Felix is a privately-owned hotel and as such the beautiful interior design, contemporary art collection and the service that we provide sets us apart from chain hotels, many of which are dictated to by Head Office. I'm glad that you feel that we offer good value for money - we intend to do just that. With regard to food, we offer a variety of menus from the à la carte menu which is served in our fine dining Graffiti Menu, to our set price lunch menu and our Café Bar menu, both of which are very affordable.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

I have stayed in a number of hotels in the Cambridge area over the years, and we decided to try this after my partner had a business meeting there and he had been impressed with what he had seen of the hotel.

It is a nice looking hotel and the welcome by reception was extremely friendly and efficient.

As we were only staying the one night, we went for the standard king size room. It is extremely rare we don’t upgrade or have a junior suite, so I was a little nervous. I needn’t have been as it was a very good sized room, with a big comfy bed (and it was comfy!). It was Bank Holiday weekend, so although the hotel was busy and our room was on the ground floor it was very quiet in our actual room. There wasn’t a lot of wardrobe space, plenty for one night, but I believe the larger rooms have more wardrobe space and with that in mind had we have been staying for more than 2 nights, I would upgrade – but definitely not worth it for one night! The bathroom was well designed with a separate shower – I really do not like showers over the bath for many reasons including safety – and it had under floor heating, which was frankly divine!

The conservatory area is lovely to sit and relax in (the hotel cannot be blamed for the unruly children, that lay with the parents – who didn’t seem to know they had children!). The gardens are beautiful and again there is a lovely sitting area (sadly, we had traditional Bank Holiday weather!). We had dinner at the hotel, and I wouldn’t say it was wonderful, because frankly it was just about average. They had run out of my chosen starter and I personally felt the menu was a bit lacking in choice. Having said that, my dining companions thoroughly enjoyed their meal and I am fussy eater! Breakfast was okay, a good continental selection and there is a separate menu for a cooked breakfast (there is a supplement for this). I don’t know what the cooked breakfasts were like, as ours never arrived!

The only reason I haven't given an excellent is dinner was just okay and breakfast never turned up. Also, although the service was very friendly it was somewhat slow (very slow to be honest) and there were language issues on quite a few occasions - but that is much the same in any hotel these days!

All the staff were very friendly and helpful and I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Cambridge or the surrounding area (we were racing at Huntingdon). In my view, the hotel is good value, with friendly staff, the rooms are lovely and it is easy to get to and easy to park – and it is a short trip into Cambridge. Enjoy!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

I really appreciate the feedback that you have given following your stay over Bank Holiday weekend, but am sorry that the sun was shy as it tends to be just when we have a little more time to enjoy it! I apologise also for the behaviour of the unruly children that you mentioned. We don't see them very often, but tend to find that dogs are better behaved and we welcome them in our rooms. You mention our comfy beds as most guests do. All bedrooms have Hypnos mattresses and underfloor heating in bathrooms, as you mention. Sorry that we just missed out on an 'excellent' score and I have pointed out your comments regarding service to our General Manager. Great to hear that you appreciated the customer service for which we have a really fantastic reputation.