“Christmas gift of afternoon tea disappointing”
Review of Hotel Felix

Hotel Felix
Ranked #9 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Cambridge
“Christmas gift of afternoon tea disappointing”
Reviewed 29 January 2011

I am not really someone who complains but feel that my experience at the hotel while having afternoon tea with a friend definitely not value for money.
I had booked two afternoon teas for my friend's Christmas present. When we arrived we went into a lounge sat down. There was lots of uncleared tables and we found the only one that was uncluttered. When the afternoon tea arrived there was only one sandwich of each variety except cucumber which had more. Bizarre not to have one each. For the cost of £31 which included a service charge of £3 it seemed pretty tightly portion controlled with no offer of another sandwich or piece of cake.

When we left and were asked how it had been we explained about only having one of each sandwich and the receptionist made a remark about the sandwiches not being that important if the cake was ok. No apology or anything. I was too polite to say anything more and reluctantly paid the service charge but didn't feel that I had really had the pleasurable experience I would have liked to have had, or wanted my friend to have so was quite resentful to pay 10% extra.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
Hotelfelix1, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 31 January 2011
Thank you very much for leaving a review on tripadvisor. I'm so sorry that you did not find the cleanliness of the loung satisfactory, we have brought this to the attention of the restaurant team who will keep a closer eye on the lounge during busy Saturday afternoons.

We do provide a variety of sandwiches with The Cambridge Tea and I hope you were pleased that we could accommodate your request for cucumber sandwiches. The menu is as per the below:
Selection of Freshly Prepared Sandwiches:
Battenberg Cake
Coconut Macaroons
Tea and Coffee
£13.25 per person

We generally receive comments that this is very good value so it really is a shame that you were not happy with the selection received. I have spoken to the receptionist on duty that day and she assures me that she was not aware that you were making a complaint and was joking with you re the cake. I do hope that no offence was caused and she also wants to pass on her apologies if her comment was misunderstood.

The 10% service charge is entirely optional and we are more than happy to remove this if asked. Our general manager will be e mailing you today with further comments re your feedback. We hope that you will return to Hotel Felix in the future to give us another chance!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Korean first
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2010

My wife and I stayed one night. The hotel is pretty convenient for the north side of Cambridge. Our room was well equiped with modern TV, tea and coffee making with real milk in the fridge and a clean, well equiped and spacious bathroom. The lighting was a little subdued but the room was large enough to actually have a small sofa - somewhere proper to sit down! Most of the hotel is modern - conference style layout with some sucessful attempts to create interest. The staff were friendly and attentive. The rate paid in advance was good value compared with the alternatives and included a good quality continental breakfast.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Hotelfelix1, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 1 November 2010
Thanks for your great review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you managed to see some of beautiful Cambridge whilst you were with us. It doesn't sound like you dined in Graffiti restaurant so perhaps if you stay with us in the future you can dine with us also as our food is fantastic! We do hope to welcome you back to Hotel Felix in the future.
London
Reviewed 27 October 2010

Good points - the room was very nice - great bed - nice bathroom etc.
But-
View straight onto hedge from window of supposedly 'premier' room
Room was not made up when we tried to return to it at 3:30PM as the staff were 'too busy' so we barely had time to prepare for our afternoon & evening out.
One evening we stayed in and got the 'Felix Flicks' deal of 2x burger+chips+popcorn and a film for £25. The burgers were the smallest I have ever seen, the chips were nearly raw and the popcorn was soggy.
You have to pay for internet access. (even McDonalds and the cornish pasty shop has free wifi)
You have to pay extra for a cooked breakfast.
You have to pay extra to listen to music through the TV.
It could be really great but falls short on may fronts and tries to squeeze extra money out of you at every turn for things that should be free.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Hotelfelix1, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 29 October 2010
Thank you for your review. I'm glad that you found your room satisfactory but sorry to hear your other comments. Rooms are guaranteed for arrival from 2.30pm onwards but on odd occasions we are unable to service every room by this time. This must have been one of these occasions and I can only apologise for the delay. In these circumstances we do offer a complimentary drink so I hope you received this offer during your wait in our lobby area.

The Felix Flicks promotion is very popular and has been running for 2 - 3 years now. I have never seen a comment regarding the size of the burgers, undercooked chips or soggy popcorn so I have passed this on to our head chef to look into - we would happily have changed your food if you had called reception but I understand that this is not always the solution that guests are looking for. Our food is something we really do pride ourselves on and we have some fantastic comments so I am sorry to hear that you weren't 100% satisfied.

We offer one hour free WiFi to guests at the hotel and then charge after this. We feel that this gives guests a chance to check their e mails and catch up quickly for free. We include continental breakfast in all of our rates because this is what the majority of guests require. We could include full English breakfast which would increase the price of the rooms but we generally find that guests prefer to keep the price of the room down and pay extra for breakfast.

I'm sorry to hear that you felt we fall short in certain areas. We do take on board all feedback and pride ourselves on our pro-active approach to comments made so your time and effort in making this review is appreciated.
Florida
Reviewed 25 October 2010

I recently stayed here on a business trip. When I returned in the evening, I stored two expensive dress shirts and a jacket in the closet and left them there when I checked out the next morning. 30 minutes after leaving I realized my mistake and immediately called the hotel. They checked in the room and the items were not there. I told them that they had to be there since I had just recently left and they told me they would check with the staff. When I called later they told me the staff had no knowledge of the items. When I suggested that someone who worked there had taken the items, they rudely responded that their staff does not steal and implied I had misplaced the items elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Ontheroadmucho
Thank you for your review. I have spoken to both housekeeping and reception regarding your comments and missing clothes and neither can remember the incident. It says on your review that you stayed in June but you comment that you stayed recently so I wonder when you did stay as this will help me to speak to various departments about the issue? I can assure you that we have never had an incident of staff taking guests clothes and this is not something we would tolerate. I'm sorry that on this occassion we did not find your lost property, we do get a lot of items left by guests and always forward this on to them as a matter or priority.
March, Cambridgeshire
Reviewed 11 October 2010

17th September 2010 was my wedding day and it was held in the beautiful Hotel Felix in Cambridge. A year earlier I had proposed to my wife at Cape Agulhus in South Africa (the southern most tip of Africa) and had visited the Hotel Felix shortly after returning to the UK.

From our first visit to the Hotel my wife and I fell in love with the place, it was a completely unique venue compared to the other venues in Cambridge and offered us the chance of a quite small and intimate wedding in a beautiful old house which had been developed into a boutique hotel.

We got married outside in the open air in the Hotels Gazebo, which is surrounded by mature gardens and trees. We were then treated to canapes (including beef filled yorkshire puddings and smoked salmon and cream cheese roulade) and cocktails (mojitoes, pimms and bucks fizz) on the terrace and in the gardens while the photographs were being taken in the sunshine.

The wedding breakfast and reception was held upstairs in the Atlas Suite. The wedding breakfast was simply amazing, the hotel prides itself on the quality of its food and on our wedding day, given that they were catering for 50 people, the staff exceeded our expectations with michelin star quality food and service.

The evening reception saw a hot and cold buffet (including plaice goujons, chunky chips, tuna crusted in pepper, and a wide range of sandwiches and delicate sweets) and again was delicious.

We were treated to the Penthouse Suite, a beautiful room at the top of the hotel, which was beautifully laid out with a massive bathroom.

Breakfast the next morning I had asked for a table of 16, and the Hotel gave us a brilliant surprise by setting out a seperate room for our guests, which was a lovely way to bring our perfect day to a close.

All of the staff from Caridad, the wedding co-ordinator, to Graham, the Food and Beverage Manager, we have found to be friendly and have treated my wife and I with the utmost respect and were all very courteous and effiencient with our guests. Many of who have said that this wedding was the best they had been to.

Thank you Hotel Felix!!!!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank neill1602
Hotelfelix1, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 13 October 2010
Dear Neil and Rebecca

Thank you so much for your glowing review. We really enjoyed organising your wedding and we're so glad you had a fabulous time. We loved how interested you were in the hotel and grounds and that you named your tables after our trees!

I have passed on your review to all staff in the hotel - they will be so pleased to read your comments. We hope to welcome you back to Hotel Felix soon!

Kind regards

All the staff at Hotel Felix
Reviewed 28 September 2010

Stayed one night we were meant to stay for two but was put off by some reviews. The Felix is beautifully situated and its a 25 min walk to town but there is a bus.The rooms have all the toys; sumptuous pillows,lovely bed linen, fluffy towels, bath robes and top end toiletries.Our room was massive, my main problem with the Felix is that at no point did i feel welcome, i felt totally invisible apart from a very pleasant dark haired lady on checkout i found the staff charmless especially at breakfast and it was because of this we chose to dine in town and not at their Graffiti restaurant, my wallet was very welcome though but in future I will opt for the Hilton when in Cambridge and not this dull souless place, On leaving i checked under the bed and pulled out a fold up occasional table covered in cobwebs at these steep prices its unacceptable, i didn't bother telling anyone i felt they wouldn't be interested.

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank jaynemary
Thank you for your review. I'm glad you were pleased with the room and the hotel's location in general. I'm so disappointed to hear your comments about the staff. Our attention to detail and personal service really is something that we are proud of and I am so surprised that you did not experience this at Hotel Felix. I have looked into the matter of the table and we wonder if you stayed in room 18? There is a table under the bed in that room which we have pulled out today - there is a bit of dust on it but no cobwebs. If you stayed in a different room please do contact us so that we can check this.

We would really, really like the chance to welcome you back to Hotel Felix to prove that we are anything but a 'dull souless place' and that we are in fact an independent hotel which prides itself on looking after each and every guest individually and creating a luxurious home from home which you won't want to leave. If you do return to Cambridge in the future please call me personally and I can make your booking.
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2010

If like my wife and I, you immediately Google "Boutique" when looking for hotel accomodation as by definition you expect a more personalised experience, then Hotel Felix is not the hotel for you! I have just returned from a disappointing weekend there to celebrate our wedding anniversary and was left feeling somewhat deflated and not least in the wallet department, but more on that later.
Having arrived at the hotel and checked into my room I was immediately struck by the depressing decor, with dark furniture and floor to ceiling dark brown painted walls nothing like the airy shots of clean white rooms featured in the photo's on the hotel website. Somehow they have taken ample sized rooms and created an oppressive feeling of being in a small dark box.
The first room we checked into came with the accompniment of an over powering smell of paint, which is the only extra you are likely to get at this hotel without paying extra. Having asked to move, they were in fairness very accomodating moving us across the corridor to another Premium Double room. Unfortunately it didn't take long to realise that the "premium" in "premium double" means 2 single beds pushed together with a gap down the middle which in my opinion is unacceptable. So we were shortly off to our third room inside the first half hour only this time they didn't really disguise their irritation. This time no smell of paint, a proper double bed but we were asked to sacrifice a walk in shower, which we were happy to do so, but unsurpringly no discount was offered for the apparent downgrade.
It's also worth noting that the beds, certainly in the 3 rooms we were privy to, are rock hard! I have rarely had such an uncomfortable nights sleep, waking at regular intervals with various aches telling me it's time to roll over to try and find a new comfortable position.
Once settled into the room we ordered a tea cake from the room service menu. Said tea cake came with whopping price of £3.95 (which was in keeping with the rest of the menu) + a £3.50 room tray charge. For my £7.45 I received the smallest tea cake on a large plate, with no butter or convserves on the side of the plate, just a rather limp slightly soggy tea cake!
Breakfast as others have commented is a bit of a joke. Whilst it was included in the room rate, it is effectively priced at £10 for a very poor continental breakfast. The cereals and conserves are more Aldi than Kelloggs/Bonne Mamon. We ordered ours in our room with the obligatory £3.50 room charge. Breakfast for 2 which unfortunately came with one plate, no knife and no milk.
Complimentary items are a real premium, as we didn't even get a complimentary biscuit with the tea and coffee making facilities. The little touches you usually get in hotels of this price, like a chocolate on the pillow or a complimentary newspaper or the offer to carry your bags to your room are nowehere to be seen.
To add a positive, the food in the Felix restaurant lived up to it's billing and if you are in the area I would recommend dinner there, although I believe the restaurant is open to none residents. As there are MUCH cheaper hotels in the near vacinity so my recommendation would be to book one of those but do use the Felix restaurant.
But as a final moan, whilst the food is first class the ambience in the Felix restaurant was ruined by the fact the restaurant shared a bar with the wedding function taking place whilst we were there. There seems a recurring theme in reviews for this hotel that there always seems to be a wedding function ongoing. Hence, dinner was interrupted by the constant stream of wedding guests through the bar. To paint the picture imagine eating in a pricey restaurant and a drunk being allowed to wander past the table displaying what he had under his kilt!
In summary, the hotel offers no little touches associated with Boutique hotels, it's far from conveniently located for exploring Cambridge which isn't reflected in the price, the decor is depressing, the rooms uncomfortable and from our experience of 3 different rooms, don't expect a view to make the stay more pleasant.

Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Chris186363
Hotelfelix1, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 21 September 2010
Thank you for submitting your review to Tripadvisor. At Hotel Felix we pride ourselves on offering personal and tailored service to each and every guest and so I am extremely disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay or feel well looked after by our staff. In past reviews we have had comments such as ‘it was noticeable that the staff always greeted you with hello etc and were smiling’ and ‘the staff are always extremely helpful’. We invest in substantial staff training to ensure that every member of the team offers a personal service so it does come as a surprise that you did not experience this and it is something which is being looked into in detail.

I have spoken to the receptionist on duty who dealt with your room move and he confirmed that he did move you to room 30 which was close to the original room which you were allocated for ease of movement. This room has a zip link bed meaning that two single beds are linked by a padded zip which is a popular and common way of using a room as both twin and double in many 4* hotels. The link cannot be felt when sleeping in the bed but he was happy to move you to a different room the second time which was room 64, a Premier room. Some Premier rooms do not have walk in showers but they are not a downgrade which is why no discount would have been offered. I do apologise if you felt that our reception team were not happy to move you, the receptionist in question is a very polite and calm young man and has confirmed that he was more than happy to move you rooms and is sorry if you felt that he was irritated. We are always pleased when guests bring issues to our attention during their stay so that we can rectify the problem immediately as happened in this case.

All of our beds are made by Hypnos, Royal Warrant Holders and a well known and respected company. We have numerous comments about how comfortable the beds are but we have asked our housekeeper to look at the bed in room 64 to make sure that there is no issue with it.

The tea cake absolutely should have been served with butter and conserves and I am so sorry that this did not happen. We would have been more than happy to correct this mistake and bring you the missing items but this should not have occurred in the first place. We have made sure that our food and beverage team receive further training on room service so that this does not happen again and we would like to extend our apologies for this oversight. Our cereals are made by Kellogg’s apart from the muesli and granola which are both homemade. Conserves for room service are made by Les Confitures a l’Ancienne which is also a well respected and highly recommended make of jam. The conserves in the restaurant for breakfast are sent to us direct from the lady who makes them in Scotland and are of a particularly high quality.

We do put homemade biscuits into each of the rooms but we believe that these were not transferred from your original room to your final room. This should have happened and reception has been briefed on this for the future. The biscuits are made in house and hand wrapped so definitely a personal touch which is often commented upon. I’m so sorry that you did not receive these in the end. We do not offer complimentary newspapers or chocolates as we aim to keep our prices to a minimum for bedrooms and do not want to be charging guests for items which they may not require.I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your meal with us and hope that this managed to lift your mood during your stay and help you to enjoy your wedding anniversary.

Hotel Felix is not situated in the city centre but has great bus links to the centre and is only a 25 minute walk if the weather is pleasant. We do boast free parking and a quiet and peaceful setting which many of our returning guests find more convenient than a city centre location. We check our room prices daily and regularly compare them to city centre hotels so that we can keep them in line with the competition.

Again I am sorry that you didn’t enjoy your stay but I do hope that your anniversary celebrations were not spoilt by this. I have spoken to the receptionist who checked you out in the morning to check that she asked if you enjoyed your stay and she says that no specific comment was made.