“Excellent choice for leisure trip to Cambridge”
Review of Hotel Felix

Hotel Felix
Ranked #9 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 4 February 2011

I chose this hotel for our weekend in Cambridge as it was well rated on both Trip Advisor and in the Good hotel Guide. The hotel did not disappoint me; the rooms were of reasonable size, very clean and well appointed. The staff were attentive and obliging. The car parking was free - most of the hotels in the centre charge £17 per car per night, which I consider to be outrageous given that you have already paid to stay there. The walk into the centre of the town is flat, not unpleasant and takes about 25 minutes – there are also frequent buses if you feel you cannot manage it or if the weather is bad. The hotel also offers a complimentary continental breakfast, which is both good quality and plentiful.

We dined one night in the hotel and the meal, although fairly expensive, was delicious and the service was excellent. On the second night we dined at Loch Fyne in the centre of the city and that was also top class (the best Oysters I have ever tasted) and cheaper than Hotel Felix.

My only complaint would be that the hotel charged for use of the internet and the charge was fairly significant – many top hotels now offer free Wi-Fi access and I would exhort Hotel Felix to consider this option.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to others, particularly if they can get a good deal or offer on the price of the accommodation.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Hotelfelix1, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2011

Thank you for your review. We really do hope that you can return to Hotel Felix in the future and we're so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Complimentary car parking is a huge benfit in Cambridge and we're lucky to have the space to offer this to all of our guests with no pre-booking required.

Re WiFi we do offer one hour complimentary WiFi which we hopes gives guests the chance to check e mails and complete other urgent tasks and then if further internet access is required it is £3.50 per hour or £5 for 2 hours.

Great to hear that you will recommend us to others and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 29 January 2011

I am not really someone who complains but feel that my experience at the hotel while having afternoon tea with a friend definitely not value for money.
I had booked two afternoon teas for my friend's Christmas present. When we arrived we went into a lounge sat down. There was lots of uncleared tables and we found the only one that was uncluttered. When the afternoon tea arrived there was only one sandwich of each variety except cucumber which had more. Bizarre not to have one each. For the cost of £31 which included a service charge of £3 it seemed pretty tightly portion controlled with no offer of another sandwich or piece of cake.

When we left and were asked how it had been we explained about only having one of each sandwich and the receptionist made a remark about the sandwiches not being that important if the cake was ok. No apology or anything. I was too polite to say anything more and reluctantly paid the service charge but didn't feel that I had really had the pleasurable experience I would have liked to have had, or wanted my friend to have so was quite resentful to pay 10% extra.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
Hotelfelix1, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2011

Thank you very much for leaving a review on tripadvisor. I'm so sorry that you did not find the cleanliness of the loung satisfactory, we have brought this to the attention of the restaurant team who will keep a closer eye on the lounge during busy Saturday afternoons.

We do provide a variety of sandwiches with The Cambridge Tea and I hope you were pleased that we could accommodate your request for cucumber sandwiches. The menu is as per the below:
Selection of Freshly Prepared Sandwiches:
Battenberg Cake
Coconut Macaroons
Tea and Coffee
£13.25 per person

We generally receive comments that this is very good value so it really is a shame that you were not happy with the selection received. I have spoken to the receptionist on duty that day and she assures me that she was not aware that you were making a complaint and was joking with you re the cake. I do hope that no offence was caused and she also wants to pass on her apologies if her comment was misunderstood.

The 10% service charge is entirely optional and we are more than happy to remove this if asked. Our general manager will be e mailing you today with further comments re your feedback. We hope that you will return to Hotel Felix in the future to give us another chance!

Reviewed 31 October 2010

My wife and I stayed one night. The hotel is pretty convenient for the north side of Cambridge. Our room was well equiped with modern TV, tea and coffee making with real milk in the fridge and a clean, well equiped and spacious bathroom. The lighting was a little subdued but the room was large enough to actually have a small sofa - somewhere proper to sit down! Most of the hotel is modern - conference style layout with some sucessful attempts to create interest. The staff were friendly and attentive. The rate paid in advance was good value compared with the alternatives and included a good quality continental breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Hotelfelix1, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2010

Thanks for your great review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you managed to see some of beautiful Cambridge whilst you were with us. It doesn't sound like you dined in Graffiti restaurant so perhaps if you stay with us in the future you can dine with us also as our food is fantastic! We do hope to welcome you back to Hotel Felix in the future.

Reviewed 27 October 2010

Good points - the room was very nice - great bed - nice bathroom etc.
But-
View straight onto hedge from window of supposedly 'premier' room
Room was not made up when we tried to return to it at 3:30PM as the staff were 'too busy' so we barely had time to prepare for our afternoon & evening out.
One evening we stayed in and got the 'Felix Flicks' deal of 2x burger+chips+popcorn and a film for £25. The burgers were the smallest I have ever seen, the chips were nearly raw and the popcorn was soggy.
You have to pay for internet access. (even McDonalds and the cornish pasty shop has free wifi)
You have to pay extra for a cooked breakfast.
You have to pay extra to listen to music through the TV.
It could be really great but falls short on may fronts and tries to squeeze extra money out of you at every turn for things that should be free.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Hotelfelix1, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2010

Thank you for your review. I'm glad that you found your room satisfactory but sorry to hear your other comments. Rooms are guaranteed for arrival from 2.30pm onwards but on odd occasions we are unable to service every room by this time. This must have been one of these occasions and I can only apologise for the delay. In these circumstances we do offer a complimentary drink so I hope you received this offer during your wait in our lobby area.

The Felix Flicks promotion is very popular and has been running for 2 - 3 years now. I have never seen a comment regarding the size of the burgers, undercooked chips or soggy popcorn so I have passed this on to our head chef to look into - we would happily have changed your food if you had called reception but I understand that this is not always the solution that guests are looking for. Our food is something we really do pride ourselves on and we have some fantastic comments so I am sorry to hear that you weren't 100% satisfied.

We offer one hour free WiFi to guests at the hotel and then charge after this. We feel that this gives guests a chance to check their e mails and catch up quickly for free. We include continental breakfast in all of our rates because this is what the majority of guests require. We could include full English breakfast which would increase the price of the rooms but we generally find that guests prefer to keep the price of the room down and pay extra for breakfast.

I'm sorry to hear that you felt we fall short in certain areas. We do take on board all feedback and pride ourselves on our pro-active approach to comments made so your time and effort in making this review is appreciated.

Reviewed 25 October 2010

I recently stayed here on a business trip. When I returned in the evening, I stored two expensive dress shirts and a jacket in the closet and left them there when I checked out the next morning. 30 minutes after leaving I realized my mistake and immediately called the hotel. They checked in the room and the items were not there. I told them that they had to be there since I had just recently left and they told me they would check with the staff. When I called later they told me the staff had no knowledge of the items. When I suggested that someone who worked there had taken the items, they rudely responded that their staff does not steal and implied I had misplaced the items elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Ontheroadmucho

Thank you for your review. I have spoken to both housekeeping and reception regarding your comments and missing clothes and neither can remember the incident. It says on your review that you stayed in June but you comment that you stayed recently so I wonder when you did stay as this will help me to speak to various departments about the issue? I can assure you that we have never had an incident of staff taking guests clothes and this is not something we would tolerate. I'm sorry that on this occassion we did not find your lost property, we do get a lot of items left by guests and always forward this on to them as a matter or priority.

Reviewed 11 October 2010

17th September 2010 was my wedding day and it was held in the beautiful Hotel Felix in Cambridge. A year earlier I had proposed to my wife at Cape Agulhus in South Africa (the southern most tip of Africa) and had visited the Hotel Felix shortly after returning to the UK.

From our first visit to the Hotel my wife and I fell in love with the place, it was a completely unique venue compared to the other venues in Cambridge and offered us the chance of a quite small and intimate wedding in a beautiful old house which had been developed into a boutique hotel.

We got married outside in the open air in the Hotels Gazebo, which is surrounded by mature gardens and trees. We were then treated to canapes (including beef filled yorkshire puddings and smoked salmon and cream cheese roulade) and cocktails (mojitoes, pimms and bucks fizz) on the terrace and in the gardens while the photographs were being taken in the sunshine.

The wedding breakfast and reception was held upstairs in the Atlas Suite. The wedding breakfast was simply amazing, the hotel prides itself on the quality of its food and on our wedding day, given that they were catering for 50 people, the staff exceeded our expectations with michelin star quality food and service.

The evening reception saw a hot and cold buffet (including plaice goujons, chunky chips, tuna crusted in pepper, and a wide range of sandwiches and delicate sweets) and again was delicious.

We were treated to the Penthouse Suite, a beautiful room at the top of the hotel, which was beautifully laid out with a massive bathroom.

Breakfast the next morning I had asked for a table of 16, and the Hotel gave us a brilliant surprise by setting out a seperate room for our guests, which was a lovely way to bring our perfect day to a close.

All of the staff from Caridad, the wedding co-ordinator, to Graham, the Food and Beverage Manager, we have found to be friendly and have treated my wife and I with the utmost respect and were all very courteous and effiencient with our guests. Many of who have said that this wedding was the best they had been to.

Thank you Hotel Felix!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank neill1602
Hotelfelix1, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2010

Dear Neil and Rebecca

Thank you so much for your glowing review. We really enjoyed organising your wedding and we're so glad you had a fabulous time. We loved how interested you were in the hotel and grounds and that you named your tables after our trees!

I have passed on your review to all staff in the hotel - they will be so pleased to read your comments. We hope to welcome you back to Hotel Felix soon!

Kind regards

All the staff at Hotel Felix

Reviewed 28 September 2010

Stayed one night we were meant to stay for two but was put off by some reviews. The Felix is beautifully situated and its a 25 min walk to town but there is a bus.The rooms have all the toys; sumptuous pillows,lovely bed linen, fluffy towels, bath robes and top end toiletries.Our room was massive, my main problem with the Felix is that at no point did i feel welcome, i felt totally invisible apart from a very pleasant dark haired lady on checkout i found the staff charmless especially at breakfast and it was because of this we chose to dine in town and not at their Graffiti restaurant, my wallet was very welcome though but in future I will opt for the Hilton when in Cambridge and not this dull souless place, On leaving i checked under the bed and pulled out a fold up occasional table covered in cobwebs at these steep prices its unacceptable, i didn't bother telling anyone i felt they wouldn't be interested.

• Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank jaynemary

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you were pleased with the room and the hotel's location in general. I'm so disappointed to hear your comments about the staff. Our attention to detail and personal service really is something that we are proud of and I am so surprised that you did not experience this at Hotel Felix. I have looked into the matter of the table and we wonder if you stayed in room 18? There is a table under the bed in that room which we have pulled out today - there is a bit of dust on it but no cobwebs. If you stayed in a different room please do contact us so that we can check this.

We would really, really like the chance to welcome you back to Hotel Felix to prove that we are anything but a 'dull souless place' and that we are in fact an independent hotel which prides itself on looking after each and every guest individually and creating a luxurious home from home which you won't want to leave. If you do return to Cambridge in the future please call me personally and I can make your booking.