“Curate's egg”
Review of Hotel Felix

Hotel Felix
Ranked #8 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 19 February 2011

The overall rating for the Felix, as I write, is 3.5 and that's exactly what I would award. I've gone for 4 because some of the things that didn't work for me were connected with the bar and restaurant rather than the hotel per se.
Curate's egg experience - good in parts. I stayed in the end for 10 nights - 7 on business, 3 leisure. Some things were excellent, some left a bit (or more) to be desired.
The really good things regarding the hotel: the service from just about all the staff - very good, very attentive, I liked this a lot!; the size and comfort of the room; comfort of the bed; good bathroom. Average: location - it's quite a way out of the city itself so you need a car or spend a lot on taxis; and breakfast - not a great choice and you have to pay extra for anything cooked (the one time I went for the complete English, it was very, very average I'm afraid); some noise in my room (20) when the cleaning staff went into their store (beside the room) to get things. Poor: internet connection, on-off, on-off, really not good at all (it was included in my room rate - if not, I'd have complained).
Then some odd things - one Thursday night in the bar at 10.30, with my daughter and a colleague, we were served by some old boy who said 'Sorry, bar staff have gone home - could you show me the wine you want?'. Hmmm. And one meal in the restaurant started with us sending back the two glasses of white wine which were served warm, and then sending back three plates of tagliatelle arrabiata since the pasta was overcooked and the sauce had no spice at all. Everything was replaced and the replacements were just fine - but why did we have to send things back?
Would I go back? Probably. Would I recommend? Not sure - a few reservations, as mentioned above.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Hotelfelix1, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2011

Thank you for your detailed review. This has been passed on to all departments involved to look into. We're happy that you decided to stay with us for such a long time and really do hope that you choose to return. Our location offers pros and cons with free parking being a huge benefit in Cambridge and also the peace and quiet of being out of the city centre. There are regular buses into the city centre which cost £3.40 return and come around every 10 minutes or a taxi costs around £7.00.

We have looked into the issue in the bar and arranged for further training for the member of staff involved so please accept my apologies for your experience. I really do hope that this did not affect your stay too much and we very much hope to welcome you back to Hotel Felix in the future.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Felix

Reviewed 17 February 2011

The hotel Felix is a modern style hotel with good overall finish to the decoration. We only stayed there one night as we were attending a birthday party at the Chop House that evening (excellent food, well worth a visit).
The cost including a continental breakfast was about £95 per room so pretty good value for a hotel of this standard. It is a little bit outside of Cambridge and if you are going out in the center you will need to get a taxi, but it only costs about £7 so not too expensive. Overall this is a good hotel, the only thing that let it down for us was the fact that the people in the next room were a young drunken couple who stayed up till 5am laughing and falling around. While it wasn't the hotels fault, it did mean I got a rubbish nights sleep.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay and your evening overall. Our location does mean that we are a taxi or bus journey from the city centre but it also offers a plus point in that we have ample free parking and quiet and peaceful surroundings. I'm sorry to hear that your neighbours kept you awake - we do our best to keep noise from other guests to a minimum and I do hope that this wouldn't stop you from returning to Hotel Felix in the future.

Reviewed 13 February 2011

This hotel is approximately 1-2 miles from Cambridge city centre in a residential area. The hotel itself has been modernised from an older style building but it has been done so very well. We booked a standard room and were delighted with it. The beds were really comfortable and the room contained a sofa and decent size wardrobe. The room also has a good sized flat screen TV. The bathroom is very modern with a separate shower cubicle and came complete with 2 fluffy bathrobes. It was probably one of the nicest hotel rooms I have stayed in.

The included breakfast was continental but cooked breakfast items were available at an additional cost. We stuck to the continental option and it was plentiful. The bread and condiments were all homemade and you could really taste the difference.

The staff we had dealings with were all extremely polite and helpful. In short, I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to other people.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank becksta75

Thank you for taking the time to review Hotel Felix. We are delighted with your comments and in particular the fact that you appreciated the preserves which we put a lot of thought and effort into. We do hope to welcome you back soon, we are currently having a conservatory built at the hotel to increase the public space available which will make a great addition and will be perfect for afternoon tea or a relaxed lunch so perhaps this is a good excuse for you to return!

Reviewed 10 February 2011

stayed last year for one of their weekend deals. returned today to visit the restaurant for lunch
convivial surroundings, delightful staff, red wine at correct temperature and three course lunch exeptional value.excellent welome on arrival and look forward to coming back again

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple

Thanks for your review. It's great to hear that you have already been back and hopefully you will continue to return to us. Your comments have been passed on to the restaurant and kitchen staff. If you are looking to return again then take a look at our Mother's Day menu which is online and looks delicious!

Reviewed 7 February 2011

I'm writing this long after the event, but, having just read all the complaints about weddings on here, I thought I'd just add my hap'orth, and that is that all I remember about this hotel are two things:

(1) that 'boutique' decor (some ghastly 'art') and atmosphere which so often gets in the way of good old-fashioned service

(2) an inebriated bride coming down the stairs kicking out her meringue dress. This was my memory because we were sitting drinking in a corner of the hall, the bar being full of wedding guests.

It was a mistake to come here for a quiet college-related event. I think it might be okay for business on a quiet day. It's probably okay for your wedding.

B

Stayed: July 2010
Hotelfelix1, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2011

Thank you for your review from your stay in July. I'm so sorry to hear that you found our decor 'ghastly'. The hotel is situated in a Victorian mansion with modern decor which is very popular with our regular guests and local residents alike. Obviously we do realise that it is maybe not to everyone's taste and it's a shame that you did not enjoy the modern feel of the hotel.

We pride ourselves on our high level of personal service and definitely would hate to think that our decor affected our service levels.

We do host weddings on a regular basis. These are held in our upstairs function rooms away from the main restaurant and they do have their own private bar. At times guests do come downstairs to go out onto our terrace and brides enjoy having their photos taken in various areas around the hotel which we are happy for them to do.

We are currently having a beautiful conservatory built on the side of the hotel which will create more public space for use by hotel guests during the day. I hope that you do decide to return to Hotel Felix in the future to see our new conservatory, it is due to be finished by May.

Reviewed 4 February 2011

I chose this hotel for our weekend in Cambridge as it was well rated on both Trip Advisor and in the Good hotel Guide. The hotel did not disappoint me; the rooms were of reasonable size, very clean and well appointed. The staff were attentive and obliging. The car parking was free - most of the hotels in the centre charge £17 per car per night, which I consider to be outrageous given that you have already paid to stay there. The walk into the centre of the town is flat, not unpleasant and takes about 25 minutes – there are also frequent buses if you feel you cannot manage it or if the weather is bad. The hotel also offers a complimentary continental breakfast, which is both good quality and plentiful.

We dined one night in the hotel and the meal, although fairly expensive, was delicious and the service was excellent. On the second night we dined at Loch Fyne in the centre of the city and that was also top class (the best Oysters I have ever tasted) and cheaper than Hotel Felix.

My only complaint would be that the hotel charged for use of the internet and the charge was fairly significant – many top hotels now offer free Wi-Fi access and I would exhort Hotel Felix to consider this option.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to others, particularly if they can get a good deal or offer on the price of the accommodation.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for your review. We really do hope that you can return to Hotel Felix in the future and we're so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Complimentary car parking is a huge benfit in Cambridge and we're lucky to have the space to offer this to all of our guests with no pre-booking required.

Re WiFi we do offer one hour complimentary WiFi which we hopes gives guests the chance to check e mails and complete other urgent tasks and then if further internet access is required it is £3.50 per hour or £5 for 2 hours.

Great to hear that you will recommend us to others and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 29 January 2011

I am not really someone who complains but feel that my experience at the hotel while having afternoon tea with a friend definitely not value for money.
I had booked two afternoon teas for my friend's Christmas present. When we arrived we went into a lounge sat down. There was lots of uncleared tables and we found the only one that was uncluttered. When the afternoon tea arrived there was only one sandwich of each variety except cucumber which had more. Bizarre not to have one each. For the cost of £31 which included a service charge of £3 it seemed pretty tightly portion controlled with no offer of another sandwich or piece of cake.

When we left and were asked how it had been we explained about only having one of each sandwich and the receptionist made a remark about the sandwiches not being that important if the cake was ok. No apology or anything. I was too polite to say anything more and reluctantly paid the service charge but didn't feel that I had really had the pleasurable experience I would have liked to have had, or wanted my friend to have so was quite resentful to pay 10% extra.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
Hotelfelix1, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2011

Thank you very much for leaving a review on tripadvisor. I'm so sorry that you did not find the cleanliness of the loung satisfactory, we have brought this to the attention of the restaurant team who will keep a closer eye on the lounge during busy Saturday afternoons.

We do provide a variety of sandwiches with The Cambridge Tea and I hope you were pleased that we could accommodate your request for cucumber sandwiches. The menu is as per the below:
Selection of Freshly Prepared Sandwiches:
Battenberg Cake
Coconut Macaroons
Tea and Coffee
£13.25 per person

We generally receive comments that this is very good value so it really is a shame that you were not happy with the selection received. I have spoken to the receptionist on duty that day and she assures me that she was not aware that you were making a complaint and was joking with you re the cake. I do hope that no offence was caused and she also wants to pass on her apologies if her comment was misunderstood.

The 10% service charge is entirely optional and we are more than happy to remove this if asked. Our general manager will be e mailing you today with further comments re your feedback. We hope that you will return to Hotel Felix in the future to give us another chance!