“Very nice for a treat”

Hotel Felix
Ranked #9 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
“Very nice for a treat”
Reviewed 28 February 2011

Have just stayed at Felix hotel taking advantage of a special offer on room rate and dinner at graffiti restaurant. We stayed in the penthouse suite which was faultless, especially the fantastic bathroom, the meal we enjoyed was the best I can remember, all in all very nice at a total cost of 280 pounds for room and the meal I suppose it should be. I would struggle to pay more but at these prices its a nice treat. One small moan no free WiFi and mini bar crazy expensive otherwise thanks for a great night away from screaming kids.

• Stayed February 2011
Hotelfelix1, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 8 March 2011
Thank you for your review. We're delighted we could play a part in a relaxing night away for you and your partner and I'm pleased to hear that you ate in Graffiti restaurant and enjoyed everything. We offer one hour free WiFi from reception so that guests can check their e mails and also anything else urgent and then we do charge for further usage.

We hope to welcome you back to Hotel Felix soon - we have some great offers over the Easter period so do take a look at our website for further details.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Korean first
Nottinghamshire
Reviewed 27 February 2011

Lovely contemporary hotel close to the city centre. Reception staff excellent and made us feel welcome. Room very nice and spacious and tastefully decorated. The bathroom let it down as a hotel with a 4* rating as it could have been a bit cleaner.....mould in shower in places and dirt around sink taps (get an old toothbrush around them like I do!). Loved the toiletries though (The White Company).

Breakfast was continental which was adequate. Had to wait a while for a pot of tea though which was a bit disappointing as eaten my croissants before it arrived!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review of Hotel Felix. We're pleased that you enjoyed your stay but disappointed to hear your comments regarding the bathroom. These comments have been passed to housekeeping to look into and will certainly be taken seriously. I'm also sorry to hear about the delay with your tea which should have been served to you quickly - I will also pass this on to the restaurant.

Overall it's great to hear that you had a good stay with us and we hope you choose to return to Hotel Felix in the future.
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2011

Please note we did not stay at the hotel on this occasion, but had lunch in the Restaurant.

We have been coming to the Hotel Felix for several years and we have always liked the hotel, and thus I thought it was a good suggestion to invite friends to join us for a birthday lunch.

From the word go the service was poor and unwelcoming and the staff seemed harassed and ill-tempered.

The food in Grafitti has always been on the meagre side the prices are not too high and the quality is usually reasonable.

Three of the party ordered a crab rillette - it looked grey and very sloppy and smelt somehow stale. I had the taste and had to spoonfuls and left it. Two of the party ordered the blade of beef which was overly dry and tasted very fatty, and was served on raw courgette's. One of my guests had the nushroom pithivier which was embarassing as it was so small to be rediculous - two small mushrooms chopped up with a small cap of puff pastry. The chiekn by contrast was very large and was eveidently tasty and well cooked.

The first bottle of wine was not served properly chilled, but I went with it not to make a fuss over our meal. We were getting through this bottle so I ordered another before we had finsihed the first one hoping it would be able to be chilled. When it was served it was not chilled at all and the server offered to put it on ice. About 20 minutes later we were getting to the end of our lunch and the wine was served and was still not that cool and thus I asked the wine to be removed as we were not going to be able to drink it with our lunch. Moments later Manageress came over and asked if there was a problem and I explained that the wine was not cool enough to drink and thus I did not wish to pay for it. I was told, in front of our guests, that as the bottle was open we would have to pay for it.

Needless to say this left a very unpleasant atmosphere and ruined what was in my opinion already a very unsuccessful meal.

Overall, the entire experience both in terms of service and food/wine quality was very poor, and we will not be returning to the hotel either to dine or to stay, which is a great shame as we have previous enjoyed our visits to the hotel and have been very happy to recommend this to colleagues and friends,

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Piers G
Hotelfelix1, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 15 March 2011
Thank you for your review. I believe you are familiar with our General Manager and have been discussing your comments and issues in person with her.
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed at hotel felix for a weekend break and it was superb. The staff are extremely friendly and the rooms modern and comfortable. The restaurant was fantastic. I have coeliac disease and the menu made it clear what I could eat and what dishes they could adapt, they even gave me a the best gluten free bread I've eaten! Great place!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write on tripadvisor. We value all comments and we really take pride in offering personal service so I'm happy to hear that we catered for your dietary requirement and I will pass on your comment regarding the bread to our head chef who will be delighted. Take a look at our Mother's Day Menu on the website if you get the chance - it's sure to be delicious!
bedford
Reviewed 26 February 2011

Me and my partner wanted a night away. The Felix was perfect for us. We booked our stay on lastminute.com for 94.00 for the night. The rooms were spacious and clean. Bed very comfy! Bathroom quite big, nice power shower and bath. We didnt eat in the restaurant as it was too priecy for us but did go into the city which was 10 min in taxi for £8. We ate at Jamies Italian which was reasonable and lovely food. We shopped in the day and got the bus in (bus stop 3 min walk from hotel). Continental breakfast nice-cereals, toasts, fruit, yoghurts. If wanted hot food could pay extra. Service was great. Would definitely return!!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Hotelfelix1, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 10 March 2011
Thanks for your review - great to hear that you will return to Hotel Felix and perhaps next time we can persuade you to dine with us. If you stay on a Friday or Sunday night and book direct with the hotel you can take advantage of our Wine. Dine and Stay Free promotion. It's a really great offer and you can then let us know what you think of our dining facilities.

We hope to welcome you back soon!
Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2011

Wanted to stop in an affordable four star hotel in Cambridge that offered value for money and a relaxing environment. I think this hotel offers that in abundance.
The hotel is about 1.5 miles from the centre of Cambridge (quick and easy bus ride) We arrived early and the hotel allowed us to use their car park (no cost). When we booked in staff were efficient and polite, the hotel itself was a functional 4 star hotel. Rooms were clean pleasant and spacious, well presented and stocked with everything you might expect. We ventured in to Cambridge and had a delightful meal at Jamies (Olivers) Italian. Again a superb meal and great value (£30 pp). Following a good nights sleep we had an excellent continental breakfast. Residents appeared to be couples who were visiting Cambridge for the weekend. The hotel was clearly very popular and I would certainly recommend. Staff were professional and charming throughout.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. One of our priorities at Hotel Felix is our service; we aim to offer a personalised service to make every guest feel special so I'm very pleased that we achieved this. I hope you choose to return to Hotel Felix in the future and hopefully you will dine with us during your next stay as our restaurant is fantastic and we have our new spring menu coming out soon so a great excuse to return.
Brasilia, Df
Reviewed 19 February 2011

The overall rating for the Felix, as I write, is 3.5 and that's exactly what I would award. I've gone for 4 because some of the things that didn't work for me were connected with the bar and restaurant rather than the hotel per se.
Curate's egg experience - good in parts. I stayed in the end for 10 nights - 7 on business, 3 leisure. Some things were excellent, some left a bit (or more) to be desired.
The really good things regarding the hotel: the service from just about all the staff - very good, very attentive, I liked this a lot!; the size and comfort of the room; comfort of the bed; good bathroom. Average: location - it's quite a way out of the city itself so you need a car or spend a lot on taxis; and breakfast - not a great choice and you have to pay extra for anything cooked (the one time I went for the complete English, it was very, very average I'm afraid); some noise in my room (20) when the cleaning staff went into their store (beside the room) to get things. Poor: internet connection, on-off, on-off, really not good at all (it was included in my room rate - if not, I'd have complained).
Then some odd things - one Thursday night in the bar at 10.30, with my daughter and a colleague, we were served by some old boy who said 'Sorry, bar staff have gone home - could you show me the wine you want?'. Hmmm. And one meal in the restaurant started with us sending back the two glasses of white wine which were served warm, and then sending back three plates of tagliatelle arrabiata since the pasta was overcooked and the sauce had no spice at all. Everything was replaced and the replacements were just fine - but why did we have to send things back?
Would I go back? Probably. Would I recommend? Not sure - a few reservations, as mentioned above.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for your detailed review. This has been passed on to all departments involved to look into. We're happy that you decided to stay with us for such a long time and really do hope that you choose to return. Our location offers pros and cons with free parking being a huge benefit in Cambridge and also the peace and quiet of being out of the city centre. There are regular buses into the city centre which cost £3.40 return and come around every 10 minutes or a taxi costs around £7.00.

We have looked into the issue in the bar and arranged for further training for the member of staff involved so please accept my apologies for your experience. I really do hope that this did not affect your stay too much and we very much hope to welcome you back to Hotel Felix in the future.