“Must read review - 3 rooms information”
Review of Kirkwood House

Kirkwood House
Kirkwood House
Ranked #85 of 123 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 June 2011

Firstly, let me clarify, I'm a very friendly easygoing individual who is quite happy at backpackers on my own budget, so expected something decent from what my work budget could provide. Here is an overview of the three rooms to give you a good idea of this place:
1. Double room main house: Nice size, pretty decor, very hard bed, seemed clean but smelt like sewage - found an 'unflushable' in toilet so I requested to be moved
2. Double room annex: Nice size, clean, ensuite smells like sewage and the room therefore too. Walls paper thin so neighbour who snores and coughs is disturbing.
3. Single room main house: Room so small there is only 60cmx60cm floor space which leaves no room for both suitcase and walking.
Positives: Rooms are clean, sheets are clean, good location for walking to town, ensuites all relatively new, good room service clean between nights, free parking (3 places available for many guests though)
Negatives: Duvets smell, ensuites smell, very intermittent internet connection, credit card details left in public view, water only works if no one else using in building at same time (shower at night if you can), manager can be very rude initially but if you keep being polite and nice she's eventually nice back (does take a bit of work though), no day storage of bags, no breakfast, no cancellation policy is a very long 72 hours.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
11  Thank JollyWorldTraveller
There are newer reviews for Kirkwood House

Reviewed 31 May 2011

Just returned from weekend away. I was expecting the worst stay ever as my partner had booked before I read the reviews!!! The hotel owners were extremly nice and helpful not what I was expecting, so so far so good.!!! We were put in the annex ok till midnight bed time. Upstairs was the nosiest American you can ever imagine I heard every yawn etc. He never stopped talkng on his mobile and computor games till 5.30am I hear every word he said till 5.30 am. At this point I said to my partner shall we give up and go for a walk before i went crazy. Just when we started to get up I heard him say on the phone he was going to bed!!!!! hurrah thank god he does sleep after all.!! what a total ...... no respect for anyone just likes to be heard. Even his loud singing was crap about someone with a brain tumor!!! nice. The landlady moved us the next morning as I wanted to leave, they gave us the room on the roundabout but a few cars compared to his loud gob was lovely!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Avoid the annex at all costs.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank alisha233
Reviewed 28 March 2011

Small clean room, ok.
Breakfast is no longer on offer, which is made clear in advance, also ok.
Plumbing extraordinary, however..... when you turn on either tap, nothing happens for a minute or two or three, then a sudden violent explosion of water (same for the shower). As the basin is tiny, there's a real risk of flooding the floor. I note that someone commented on this back in July!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank canarysop
Reviewed 1 November 2010

First, let's get the bad news out of the way. We booked Kirkwood House because it was the only B&B available, after calling 5 other places. Internet did not work well; wall was very thin and you can hear everything. The room was Tokyo-tiny and the beds were very narrow. Good thing my husband and I are on the small side. There was no breakfast available or offered to us.

Now, the good news. The young guy that checked us in was very helpful and kind; he allowed us to store our luggage in the kitchen for an afternoon, after we checked out. Room was quite clean and the bed, while small, turned out to be comfortable. It's not too far from the center of town....20-30 minutes depending on your route.

Would recommend if you're desperate and don't mind a tiny tiny room. Our experience wasn't nearly as negative as the other reviewers.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank daintyponytail
Reviewed 2 October 2010

The landlady of the B&B should really take a course in customer relations if she doesnt want this business of hers to be doomed. Absloute joke when it comes to customer relations and looking after the people who stay there . The place also is defintley not worth the money I have paid for my stay. I would not have bothered writing or complaining but the behaviour of the landlady was completley uncalled for. She would not even let us leave the bags in the hotel after check out on the last day. Lady, if you do not stand the heat get out of the kitchen !

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
7  Thank marcTrip60
Reviewed 19 September 2010

We booked here because we wanted to get away for a couple of nights. Admittedly, it was the fifth B&B we had tried - all the others we had called were full as we were booking last minute.
Price-wise, it certainly is a rip-off here as we paid £85 per night and in return for this we were treated to a poky ground floor room (number 2) which was situated next door to the breakfast room. There wasn't enough space around the bed to store your cases or bags and, although the room looked clean, on closer inspection there were dust balls around the wardrobe legs and so on.
The shower attachment fixture and window handle were broken, the sink had a large crack in it, only full fat milk was offered with tea and coffee and the entire room was really dingy - not somewhere that you would want to spend any time in. However, the worst problem was the lack of hot water on the second night and following morning, which meant we had to wash/shower using cold, which wasn't much fun.
It was very noisy - the front door would bang every time someone entered or left and on the first morning we were subjected to this at 6am so had to go to Boots to pick up some ear plugs, so we could at least have a good night's sleep on night two.
Also, we are keen (and fast) walkers and the journey into the centre takes 30 minutes and not 15-20 minutes as stated - unless perhaps you are an Olympic speed walker. But we do enjoy walking so it didn't really bother us; just the fact that the literature is claiming it's situated far closer.
Breakfast was ok although the room itself was pretty dated and basically needs a revamp.
All in all, I would say never again - this B&B is worth £50 for a double (ours was a twin which they converted into a double) at the very most per night.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Ladymills
Reviewed 18 September 2010

The purpose was to have a city break in Cambridge and visit my daughter. It was a real disappointment, as generally find bed and breakfasts very helpful and good.

The room was ridiculously small. To go to bed I had to move my suitcase! There was a clothes rail jammed at the end of the bed difficult to access. The bed was not brilliant but I can sleep on most places so not to much of a problem. However the room was depressing as so tiny. Unfortunately the sound proofing also was not good. But to be fair it was clean.

The welcome was not good. Firstly there was nowhere to park, I was promised there would be but I was asked to park in the next door private dentists car park! There is very limited parking available! Eventually another guest left so was able to squeeze in.

It is a small thing perhaps but Ithis did upset me a bit. I hate plastic milk in tiny cartoons as it tastes horrible in tea. On arrival after a long journey was gasping for a cuppa and asked politely as have many times before with no problem if they could give me a small quantity of ordinary milk. The answer was an abrupt negative and a disapproving look and NO that would not be possible and I was directed to go to the Spar shop across the road. I have to say was taken aback as other bed and breakfasts have never had a problem with this before at all. As I say it is maybe a small point and I know if I go to a Travel lodge have to take my own milk but in a proper bed and breakfast this upset me.

The breakfast was poor, mean and served in a cramped room.

Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank JennyRoaming
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Lantern House
Acorn Guesthouse
Acorn Guesthouse
#65 of 123 in Cambridge
Your Space Apartments - Nelson Court

Been to Kirkwood House? Share your experiences!