“Good accommodation, clean rooms, helpful staff, free parking”
Review of Kirkwood House

Kirkwood House
Kirkwood House
Ranked #84 of 121 Cambridge B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Good accommodation, clean rooms, helpful staff, free parking”
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We stayed here for one night, were slightly worried after reading bad reviews, we stayed in the main house, there was no smell, it was clean and quiet. The location is not amazing, however the price is good, it takes about 15 mins to walk to the center and we would stay here if going back to Cambridge again. Overall a very good stay, I would recommend to a friend!

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the house, room 3 was good for us.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MattThePhoto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Booked this for a wedding before reading trip advisor. Normally I read reviews before booking but all the hotels in Cambridge were either fully booked or we couldn't afford. So booked this and was shocked by the reviews!

When we arrived the lady who greeted us was friendy and got us checked in. We were in a double room in the main house upstairs. The room was an okay size, clean and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was tiny! could barely brush my teeth in the tiny sink!

Staff were helpful in the morning looking for the iron and ironing board in the morning. Another guest hadn't given it back so they got it for me since we really needed it to get ready for the wedding.

I wouldnt recommend if you want to sleep in as the walls are really thin and it when other guests are showering it is so loud!

Overall okay, but quite expensive and no breakfast.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Faro, Portugal
Reviewed 27 July 2012

Booked Kirkwood house for my family to stay over one night in July. Unfortunately because there was a problem with dates on the site which I used to make the reservation it ended up with the wrong date. I immediately noticed and called the property to amend. On the first page it is obvious that you cannot cancel but not obvious at all that you cannot make changes. All the staff / owners were extremely rude to me on the phone whenever we spoke. Even though I volunteered to pay the difference of rate and they had free rooms for the night I really wanted they were impolite, totally obnoxius and rude. The people from the site through which I booked it through tried to help with no success either. To my knowledge the reservation remained booked for the wrong date and I was going to allow relatives in the UK to use it in August, as my family is no longer there. To my astonishment, they were extremely prompt to send me a receipt where they confirmed that they charged my credit card and cancelled by reservation. That really got me very upset. Rang them again and after the owner said to me that they had rooms but did not want to give these to my family over that dates we needed it because they had their reasons (obviously to rip me off) I was very upset with this lady and she put the phone down on me. I cannot believe that anyone features this place on their website. I paid £110 for nothing. I thoroughly recommend that you never book it. You may end up with no money and no booking like I did.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Carmo H

Travellers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 27 June 2012

The first thing I noticed on entering the guest house was an odor. Actually it was a mix of odors, one possibly dankness, the other aerosols unsuccessfully trying to suppress the underlying odor. Well, I was tired by the time I got there and, as everyone here makes plain, had paid up front, so, for me, it was on to the room I was to be given. This was Room No. 7 on the ground floor sharing a wall with the proprietors. This was billed as a double but was actually two singles set side by side with a double mattress on top. That sometimes works, but not in this case because, were you to sleep in the middle, you would feel the frames of the two singles under the mattress as a bony spine of sorts. So in essence it was a single that allowed them to charge a guest for a double. The word "decor" shouldn't be applied to the furnishings in the room that I had: One tiny and cramped "desk" area built into a space between a window and the wall of the en suite, one discount-house-bought armoire and two nondescript night tables. The flooring had that diy-installed look and there was this grungy thing that was supposed to serve as a small area rug on one side of the bed. What arrested my attention initially, however, were the low-budget High Victorian gold-colored fabrics used for draperies, the crown bed canopy (believe it or not), and duvet. All in all, a Pygmalion undertaking that just falls flat on its face. The bed sheets were neat and clean, but somehow they were impregnated with this odor I've already mentioned and which seemed to be a signature feature of this establishment. I would recommend using the towels over pillowcases to help reduce the smell if you find it bothering. Next, then, was the en suite. The one in this room was, as others have noted with respect to other rooms, tiny. Should you need to sit on the toilet you might find that you are wrapping your feet around the central column that supports the wash basin in order to find someplace to put your left leg. The wash basin was also an item. On my first day there, I pushed down the stopper but then found that regardless of how I tapped on it after I had finished, it would not pop back up. I partially emptied it with one of the plastic cups provided in the toilet. The next day I noticed that it had been fixed. I had no problem with inadequate hot water, so maybe they have attended to this matter. Like others, I found sounds from above, from the proprietors' quarters and from the "reception area" very audible. There were no obnoxious guests above me but their footfalls were clearly heard. Each guest upon registering would be given a pat explanation of the house in the "reception area" by the proprietor, so I felt I was beginning to memorize it. I couldn't help but wonder why he didn't make a handout of at least some of the particulars to save himself a bit of the repetition that certainly goes on day in and day out. Additionally, I heard arguments coming from the proprietors' quarters on both days that I was there and would recommend soundproofing. Finally, there is no breakfast available here. Reading what others have written there seems to have been a time when they did, but that wasn't the case during my stay. Depending on your needs this can be a problem. As another guest has noted this establishment is in a residential district, so should you wish breakfast then you will need to walk into town. Like others have noted, the proprietor gives you the impression that 15 minutes will get you a significant way there, but it takes a lot longer. I stayed two nights but I left their establishment at 7:15 in the morning by taxi since I had no intention of walking all the way back into town again for a second breakfast dragging my luggage with me. This would have been necessary since they don't allow you to keep your things at their place once you check out. Of course, I could have walked into town and then walked back to the guest house provided I return by 10:30, but that seemed a bit much. Essentially, though, I had to change my plans to reflect the poor quality of accommodations at this establishment and in doing so lost some of the benefit I had hoped to obtain in visiting Cambridge.
The owners of this establishment charged me 140 pounds for two nights. To me that was a ripoff considering the poor value of the service extended here. Many elements of their management "style" are there to maximize their profit while minimizing their input of effort in creating and maintaining a welcoming environment for their guests. I think that they are able to get away with this because Cambridge is an attractive destination for travelers with many needs. To anyone considering staying here, I would recommend they go elsewhere even if it means spending a few more pounds.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank DennisNolan
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2012

stayed at kirkwood house for 4 nights last week as myself and a colleague were working in Cambridge . first thing to say is that the owner required payment up front for the whole stay so beware that once you hand over your cash then you are essentially committed to stay there . we were given a twin room in the annexe accessible through a yard to the rear of the main house . breakfast was not offered as an option which made the tariff a little expensive i think . the room itself was basically single sized but 2 narrow beds had been strategically positioned to qualify it as a twin , however , this meant that there was no way for both guests to watch tv simultaneously unless you both sit on one of the tiny beds , there are no seats . The bathroom is even more claustrophobic with the sink and shower in miniature and honestly its impossible to wash without flooding the floor and this has caused the floor tiling to lift and break . its not a room to spend any length of time in as everything is all too cramped . also it has to be noted that there is no soundproofing between rooms and i was roused from slumber at 5 am by the early riser in the room above clomping around for what seemed an eternity . in all honesty , if we hadnt paid up we would have checked out , i would advise viewing the room before paying . in fact i would advise staying elsewhere to be honest , there are plenty of options nearby . all in all i would say that this establishment is taking too much for what it is giving in return .

Room Tip: view before you pay ... please ;
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank joe t
Brussels / Turku
Reviewed 17 December 2011

The room in the annex was clean, comfortable and quiet, if not big. The fact that no breakfast was on offer suited us well but this we discovedred only after having reserved the room. Taking that into account the price was also average. The lack of breakfast also meant thate there was little contact with owner. The location of BB is good, and we valued the free wireless internet and parking.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2011

We booked three nights at this guest house. When we arrived before seeing the room we had to pay up front. Our room was in the annexxe and was like a smelly portacabin. (It had been raining heavily!)
We had to keep the en-suite bathroom door closed because the smell eas so bad. The room and en-suite were dirty esp the bathroom. The following morning when I tried to have a bath the water ran cold after a few minutes. There was a shower above the bath but it looked dirty so didnt use it.
The tv was minute and difficult for us to see the picture.
On the back of the bedroom door were various warnings: e.g If you dont hand in your keys when you leave then you will be charged £150.....Please keep noise to min....no takewaway food etc etc. Reception hours were from 9am-9pm. When I asked the following day about the best time to get hot water for the bath the propietess said quite calmly: Oh, there's not enough water for a bath (why have one!) you need to use the shower. I explained about the dirt/smell etc and she said she would look into it. When we came back that evening there was a strong smell of bleach in the bathroom and throughout the bedroom which we had to put up with : at least the bathroom (no windows) was clean although toxic. The dirty mark above the bed stayed with us. The adjoining room had such thin walls that we could hear the people taliking. The hotel does not provide breakfast for any guests ( a problem when you are in aresidential district). When we left at 8.30am (to catch booked transport) I had to ring thr eception bell several times and wait 20mins before anyone answered. I needed to make sure we werent charged £150 for the key as there was no safe place to leave them. Be prepared, if you stay at the Kirkwood for the strict regime, dirty conditions, hostile host and no breakfast. You have been warned! Gill & Alan R

Room Tip: Dont stay in the annexe!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple