“Perfect for the money”

Ranked #12 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Perfect for the money”
Reviewed 20 August 2011

Room was clearly pre-fabricated, but well designed (especially the bathroom) and comfy.
Location is approx 2.5 miles from city centre, but bus stop is 5 mins away.
Nice touch is the free wi-fi in the bar and reception area.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
manchester
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Over the last 6 months I have stayed in many hotels up and down the country in a job that requires extensive travel. I have now stayed in 4 hotels in Cambridge and this compares very well. The breakfast is basic but fine, parking is ample but the best thing about this hotel is that it's very clean and modern. The room has all mod cons and even has a choice of pillows. It's only slightly let down by TV that might be updated.

I'm not sure why people are complaining about the breakfast. Although as a veggie I don't eat sausages the beans and scrambled egg were fine. For those who complain about having to catch a bus: why don't they do a bit of research beforehand? If they are leaving reviews on tripadvisor they should have used it to find out about the hotel before booking.

I signed up to Holiday Inn loyalty card and had a free J20 as I don't drink alcohol in the week.

My only complaint is that when I nipped back to my room for something at brekafast I came back less than 5 minutes later to find everyhting cleared away from my table! this gives an indication of the efficiency of the staff, who were also friendly without exception

I can't comment on what it's like at the weekend but if you are considering staying here on business I would highly recommend it. Again I cannot really comment on value for money at weekend but the price compares well with inferior hotels i have stayed in in Cambridge recently.

It's also interesting to see that the general manager takes the time to read all these reviews: I only wish others would do the same and take a genuine interest in the views of customers.

Room Tip: Ask for a room onn the ground floor if possible
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
ExpressCambridge, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge, responded to this review, 10 October 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Holiday Innn Express Cambridge.

Myself and the team at the hotel are pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated the efficient service.

We would like to thank you for your custome and look forward to welcoming you back.

Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2011

I went there as I had business at Cambridge airport and it was conveniently located.
First the positives.
My booking was processed quickly, efficently and without a hitch.
It was easy to get to and if I had taken my car there was ample free parking.
The place was clean and well apointed, although the decor needs a bit of a makeover to make it more inviting.
The air-conditioning in the room was very effective. This was particularly important as I'd had the train journey from hell, jam-packed into sweaty trains on a sweltering hot day. So I was quite releived to vedge in my room with the chiller on to cool off.
There was a good strong shower, with plenty of hot water.
The bed was reasonable. That coupled with the quiet location meant I had a good night's sleep.

Now for the negatives.
The price, was way too high. I paid a discount internet rate which I thought was steep. But my jaw dropped when I saw the "turn up and pay" tarif. A good hotel in Central London would have been a similar price.
The food was pretty dire. There was very little variety. When it did come it was "DING DING" food, accompanied by boil in the bag rice. I recognise the flavour. Not going to divulge the brand. Even then they managed to mess this up. My vege curry on the first night was burnt. That kind of incompetence takes talent!
The breakfast, was sold as a "continental buffet". I have stayed in hotels on the continent and bread, bouncy muffins, rubber cheese and minute yoghurts along with fruit well past their prime does not constitute a continental breakfast.
I was expecting a mixture of cheeses, cold cuts of meat, fresh charcuterie, hard-boiled eggs, a mxture of fruit and decent yoghurts. The only protein was cold scrambled eggs, congealed baked beans and bargain basement sausages. I was not impressed.
Fortunately my business in Cambridge is complete. But with so many better hotels in and around the city I will not be repeating this experience.
I have stayed at, and will continue to stay at Holiday Inns proper. I had naively assumed the same standards would have applied. They most definitely do not.

Room Tip: By all means sleep there, but find somewhere else to eat.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank WILLIAM1066
ExpressCambridge, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge, responded to this review, 4 August 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent experience during your stay with us at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge. I’m pleased to hear that you had a nice stay and accommodation was up to your expectation.
With relation to your comments regarding tariff, I can confirm that our prices are competitive as compared to similar hotels in the area. I’m very disappointed to learn about the quality of food provided and I assure you that I will personally be speaking to chef to ensure consistent product and service is offered to all our valued customers.
With relation to your comments regarding breakfast, I can assure you that we take all our guest comments seriously in the consistent endeavour to improve the quality of our product and service. We have recently added baked beans, sausages, scrambled egg along with cheese, bread roll and muffin to our breakfast. We have also, enhanced the overall appearance of our breakfast. I appreciate your comments regarding your expectation and I will certainly forward your valuable feedback to our breakfast enhancement group.
I apologise for any inconvenience caused to you and assure you that this is not the normal standard of service offered at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge. I have taken all your comments on board and assure you that necessary action will be taken for continuous improvement in our product and service.

All team members along with me would like to thank you for your custom and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 31 July 2011

The staff are very friendly. The room was a standard twin - clean and comfortable. The food was ok. This hotel is on the outskirts. The bus stop for citi 1 bus is located about a 10 min walk away through the industrial estate onto the main road- high street (cherry Hilton) it can take between 30-40 mins to get into the city centre depending on traffic or 15 mins in a taxi. Nearest shop is a 20 min walk.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank Tosca999
Milford, Delaware
Reviewed 22 July 2011

Conveniently located near the city center (we had a car). I noticed a walking path in front of the hotel. The hotel is located in an industrial estate, so you will have no problem parking. The hotel was basic, but offered a modern bathroom and surprisingly comfortable bed (for European standards). Breakfast was adequate. Unfortunately, I don't have any highs or lows about this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
ExpressCambridge, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge, responded to this review, 28 July 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent experience during your stay at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge.I'am pleased to learn that the hotel suited your needs and you enjoyed your stay with us.We are located in the business park with convenience stores and bus stop located within easy access from us.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we at the Holiday in Express Cambridge look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Hong Kong
Reviewed 21 July 2011

Very friendly hotel and very clean. However the location is far from the city centre and nothing ie. shop, mall etc in the surrounding area. Hotel only provides a limited choice of F & B services and the breadfast is a simple Endlish breadfast however food quality is good. No public transportation around and need to walk for 10 mins to the nearby bus station but not recommended during night time. Good for a weekend break or commercial travel with own transportation arranged. Very quite during night time and should enjoy a reasonably good sleep.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank pauluskam
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent experience during your stay at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge.It was great to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and breakfast quality met your expectations.

With regards to the connections to the city center the bus stop is approx 5-10 minutes walk away with direct bus into the town.

Once again thanks for the comments and we at the Holiday in Express Cambridge look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Edinburgh
Reviewed 18 July 2011

Excellent service at the front desk and very helpful. Encouraged to join their loyalty programme and got a free drink for both of us.
Breakfast vey satisfying.
About 3 miles from centre from Cambridge so need to take the car as no direct bus service or use park and rides.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

Dear Guest

Thank You for your comments regarding your recent experience during your stay at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge. It was a pleasure to read that you liked the customer service provided by our front desk staff and you were asked to join our Loyalty Programme.

Here at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge It is Important for us that all our guests enjoy their stay and have a relaxed time during their visit. Our Loyalty programme have numerous benefits that rewards our customers and keeps them connected to our Holiday Inn Brand.

With regards to your comments regarding distance to the city centre, we are approx. 1.5 miles outside. However, the bus stop is 5-10 minutes walk away with regular bus service into the town.

Once again thank you for your comments, the entire team at the hotel would like to be associated with me in thanking you for your custom and we look forward to welcoming you back in future.