“Dont expect the world then you wont be dissapointed”

Holiday Inn Express Cambridge
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 12 October 2011

overall this hotel was distinctly average, some good points, some bad. a few changes this place could be a big magnet.
GOOD POINTS-
swift service on arrival, bedrooms of a modern stylish appearance, comfy bed, quiet from the outside world, secure free parking free wifi.
BAD POINTS-
mildew in the bathroom (not very nice to have white tiles and brown patchy grout everywhere in a otherwise cleverly presented pre fabricated bathroom)
evening menu is very small when it comes to selection of food however not too pricey and tasted good with what was on offer.
breakfast was a joke. advertised as a continental breakfast more like a half attempt at an english breakfast gone wrong. no boiled eggs, no meat selection, rubbery cheese, iceland bargain sausages, bannana's on the turn and baked beans. To top it off i went for breakfast at 0630 when it first opened and everything was cold.

i can look past a bit of mildew thats just TLC required but i cant look past the dissapointment of breakfast, wouldn't serve it to my dog.

FINAL POINT
stay for a night as it was a comfy sleep but dont have the breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
ExpressCambridge, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent experience during your stay with us. All our guest comments are used constructively and form part of our training to help us in improving the quality of our product and service.

We are delighted to hear that you liked the swift Check-in, Room and Dinner were up to your expectations. With regards to your comment relating to the Mildew in the bathroom I have investigated into the matter further.Please contact myself if you would like to discuss this further.

With regards to breakfast we advertise our breakfast as continental breakfast with a selection of few hot items. I would like to highlight that in the past few months we have listened to our customer comments and added few branded items such as Muller yogurt, Kellogg’s Cereals and also refreshed the appearance of our breakfast area. With relation to your comments regarding Quality of Sausages, Scrambled eggs and Cheese I would like to highlight that as we are part of Intercontinental Hotels Group and all our products are tested and supplied by pre-approved suppliers.

I’m disappointed to learn that on your arrival the hot items were not hot enough. I can assure you that this is not the normal standard of service at our hotel. I have discussed this with our breakfast team and I assure you that we will do everything possible to maintain our breakfast standards.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact myself. The team along with me at the hotel would like to thank you for your custom and hope that this would not deter you from staying with us in future.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 22 September 2011

To get to this hotel, you take a long meandering drive out past the airport and into an industrial estate. I was somewhat concerned about what I would find, but I was pleasantly surprised.

You pass through an automatic barrier into the secure car park, and you're greeted with a very modern and new looking building. Inside, everything continues to impress.

This is a very modern, very clean, very well kept hotel. It's basic - but the staff are polite, friendly and helpful. The rooms are not massive, but are perfectly adequate and are very stylish to my rather uneducated eye! The bathroom is excellent, and the shower nice and powerful.

The reason for the 4 stars was just one thing - the main bed was very soft. I prefer a harder mattress.

Realistically, you're not going to walk to Cambridge from here. Not unless you are really keen.

I would stay here again - it's quiet and I liked it.

Room Tip: Stay away from the lift.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
ExpressCambridge, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us at Holiday inn Express Cambridge. We use all our guest comments to improve the standard of our service and product offered.

Myself and the team here at the hotel are pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass on your comments regarding the bed to the relevant department to take necessary action.

The team at Holiday Inn Express with myself would like to thank you for your custom and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 18 September 2011

......if you want a bit of peace and quiet!

Stayed here over a weekend whilst on a a course a few weeks ago.

I asked for a quiet room as I had some work to do - I was given Room 101 (I should have known!!) - it was next to the stairwell - I could hear the fire door banging shut through the night - this room was also over the front entrance - a hive of activity!! At night there were taxis and minibuses dropping people off - stags, hens, groups of men who had been to Newmarket races which is nearby - all very well inebriated! These groups also tended to congregate outside right in front of the main entrance to smoke and make a noise - not funny when you are trying to sleep.

The room itself was clean and modern - the bog standard 'no frills' chain hotel. OK for a night or two but nothing more.

Breakfast was also poor - no staff about and consequently the food buffet had not been replenished - I had to ask to get a clean plate!

The manager was quite helpful when I checked in as the agency that made my booking had faffed it up.

There's a David Lloyd Health club and Spa next door where you can pay a fee of £6 for entry to use all the facilities and they also have a nice bar area where you can get some food - I ate my evening meals here.

Free wi-fi in the lounge/bar area.

This hotel is probably a better stay mid-week when you haven't got all the rowdy mobs about on their beanos!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent experience during your stay with us.Firstly, I would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused to yourself during your stay. All our guest comments are used constructively to improve the quality of our product and service.

With relation to your comments regarding your room reservation and breakfast I assure you that this is not a normal standard of service at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge and necessary steps will be taken to avoid such incidents in future.

I'am pleased to learn that you found the room upto expectations and staff was helpful in assisting you with your reservation.

Myself and the team at the Holiday Inn Express Cambridge would like to thank you for your custom and look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed 10 September 2011

Bad point first, location a very long walk away from Cambridge. A strange location which offered peace and quiet and good free parking facilities. The reception staff were friendly, helpful and courteous throughout our stay. They provided a map of Cambridge and showed us the walking route, giving us a map copy to take with us. The room was a moderate size, very cleverly designed and immaculately clean. Comfortable beds a choice of pillows (firm or soft) and a complimentary tea and coffee tray with kettle, made us happy travellers. The buffet breakfast was hot - freshly cooked, and cold food, not the best selection I've been offered but ample for anyone. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking time and writing the review.We appreciate your review as it always helps us in improving the product and service we offer.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay, room and the amenities provided met your expectations. It is nice to learn that staff was helpful and courteous.

Myself and the team would like to thank you for your custom and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 20 August 2011

Room was clearly pre-fabricated, but well designed (especially the bathroom) and comfy.
Location is approx 2.5 miles from city centre, but bus stop is 5 mins away.
Nice touch is the free wi-fi in the bar and reception area.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Over the last 6 months I have stayed in many hotels up and down the country in a job that requires extensive travel. I have now stayed in 4 hotels in Cambridge and this compares very well. The breakfast is basic but fine, parking is ample but the best thing about this hotel is that it's very clean and modern. The room has all mod cons and even has a choice of pillows. It's only slightly let down by TV that might be updated.

I'm not sure why people are complaining about the breakfast. Although as a veggie I don't eat sausages the beans and scrambled egg were fine. For those who complain about having to catch a bus: why don't they do a bit of research beforehand? If they are leaving reviews on tripadvisor they should have used it to find out about the hotel before booking.

I signed up to Holiday Inn loyalty card and had a free J20 as I don't drink alcohol in the week.

My only complaint is that when I nipped back to my room for something at brekafast I came back less than 5 minutes later to find everyhting cleared away from my table! this gives an indication of the efficiency of the staff, who were also friendly without exception

I can't comment on what it's like at the weekend but if you are considering staying here on business I would highly recommend it. Again I cannot really comment on value for money at weekend but the price compares well with inferior hotels i have stayed in in Cambridge recently.

It's also interesting to see that the general manager takes the time to read all these reviews: I only wish others would do the same and take a genuine interest in the views of customers.

Room Tip: Ask for a room onn the ground floor if possible
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Holiday Innn Express Cambridge.

Myself and the team at the hotel are pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated the efficient service.

We would like to thank you for your custome and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 3 August 2011

I went there as I had business at Cambridge airport and it was conveniently located.
First the positives.
My booking was processed quickly, efficently and without a hitch.
It was easy to get to and if I had taken my car there was ample free parking.
The place was clean and well apointed, although the decor needs a bit of a makeover to make it more inviting.
The air-conditioning in the room was very effective. This was particularly important as I'd had the train journey from hell, jam-packed into sweaty trains on a sweltering hot day. So I was quite releived to vedge in my room with the chiller on to cool off.
There was a good strong shower, with plenty of hot water.
The bed was reasonable. That coupled with the quiet location meant I had a good night's sleep.

Now for the negatives.
The price, was way too high. I paid a discount internet rate which I thought was steep. But my jaw dropped when I saw the "turn up and pay" tarif. A good hotel in Central London would have been a similar price.
The food was pretty dire. There was very little variety. When it did come it was "DING DING" food, accompanied by boil in the bag rice. I recognise the flavour. Not going to divulge the brand. Even then they managed to mess this up. My vege curry on the first night was burnt. That kind of incompetence takes talent!
The breakfast, was sold as a "continental buffet". I have stayed in hotels on the continent and bread, bouncy muffins, rubber cheese and minute yoghurts along with fruit well past their prime does not constitute a continental breakfast.
I was expecting a mixture of cheeses, cold cuts of meat, fresh charcuterie, hard-boiled eggs, a mxture of fruit and decent yoghurts. The only protein was cold scrambled eggs, congealed baked beans and bargain basement sausages. I was not impressed.
Fortunately my business in Cambridge is complete. But with so many better hotels in and around the city I will not be repeating this experience.
I have stayed at, and will continue to stay at Holiday Inns proper. I had naively assumed the same standards would have applied. They most definitely do not.

Room Tip: By all means sleep there, but find somewhere else to eat.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank WILLIAM1066
ExpressCambridge, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent experience during your stay with us at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge. I’m pleased to hear that you had a nice stay and accommodation was up to your expectation.
With relation to your comments regarding tariff, I can confirm that our prices are competitive as compared to similar hotels in the area. I’m very disappointed to learn about the quality of food provided and I assure you that I will personally be speaking to chef to ensure consistent product and service is offered to all our valued customers.
With relation to your comments regarding breakfast, I can assure you that we take all our guest comments seriously in the consistent endeavour to improve the quality of our product and service. We have recently added baked beans, sausages, scrambled egg along with cheese, bread roll and muffin to our breakfast. We have also, enhanced the overall appearance of our breakfast. I appreciate your comments regarding your expectation and I will certainly forward your valuable feedback to our breakfast enhancement group.
I apologise for any inconvenience caused to you and assure you that this is not the normal standard of service offered at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge. I have taken all your comments on board and assure you that necessary action will be taken for continuous improvement in our product and service.

All team members along with me would like to thank you for your custom and we look forward to welcoming you back.