Holiday Inn Express Cambridge
US$239
Hilton
The Lensfield(Cambridge)
US$201
Holiday Inn Cambridge(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
US$111
US$253
US$222
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Travelodge Cambridge Orchard Park(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
US$53
Travelodge
Regent Hotel(Cambridge)
US$156
Official Site
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsbusiness parkhi expresscity centredavid lloydcycle pathfree wifibeansthe sofa bedquiet locationminute drivebudget hotelbreakfast was includedshort staywhat it says on the tinclean hotelcar parkbus stop
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Checked in later than we had expected and the room was ready for us with spare bed made up. The room was a bit small and nowhere else to sit except for on the beds. Generally clean and serviced. Poor reception on TV (BBC1). Not a power shower as described but lots of hot water.

The hotel was convenient for where we wished to be in Cambridge and in a quiet area although we were woken in the early hours by man next door on his mobile phone - so had to make our annoyance felt by knocking on the wall! The walls may be thin but this was a room with an adjoining door (locked) which probably made it worse.

Reception staff were helpful and the breakfast provided was very good and served in an airy eating area. Did not eat in the restaurant in the evening as it seemed quite expensive for basic fare. However, there is nowhere else in the immediate area to go for a meal. The complimentary morning newspapers were also a nice touch. We had a good deal for the night having booked ahead and would do that again but the walk in rate was up as £150 and no way should that be justifiable. The hotel was quite new and preferable to a recent stay at a local Travelodge. Free parking is available.

Booking through the central reservations was not the easiest experience - with operators passing the buck and costly call charges. Best to do it direct with the hotel if possible.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
ExpressCambridge, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2012

Dear Guest

Thank You for your comments regarding your recent experience during your stay at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge. It was a pleasure to learn, you liked the breakfast offerings & cleanliness of room was up to your expectations.

Here at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge It is Important for us that all our guests enjoy their stay and have a relaxed time during their visit. With regards to room size I can confirm that all our rooms are of standard size and more information on the descriptions can be found while booking on the website or on phone.

With regards to your comments regarding price I can assure you that our rates are competitive to similar hotels in the area.

I have noted down your comments regarding TV and Shower. I assure you necessary steps will be taken to avoid inconvenience to any of our customers in future.

Once again thank you for your comments, the entire team at the hotel would like to be associated with me in thanking you for your custom and we look forward to welcoming you back in future.

Kind Regards
Sushil Gupta

Reviewed 14 February 2012

I arrived in the cold weather spell in February, and was disappointed to have no heating in the room at all, which meant I retired to bed early to keep warm.
I've stayed at many holiday inn express and have always been satisfied, perhaps if I had paid less I would have scored higher, but for 100 a room for 1 night I was slightly disappointed, but I guess that's the price one must pay near Cambridge?
I stayed in a Hilton the following night near London, paid less and the room was amazing in comparison.
Breakfast was basic but functional and the location was convenient for me, would I stay here again? I'm unsure? I would maybe pay the 20 more and stay at the holiday inn or another hotel, but I certainly wouldn't pay £100 again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
ExpressCambridge, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2012

Dear Guest

Here at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge It is Important for us that all our guests enjoy their stay and have a relaxed time during their visit. I’m, dismayed to learn about heating in the room. Ideally, we ensure that our heating system are regularly serviced and maintained. However, if a problem arises with heating and on contacting reception we equip guest rooms with portable heaters.
With regards to your comments regarding price I can assure you that are prices are competitive as compared to other hotels in the area.
Once again thank you for your comments, the entire team at the hotel would like to be associated with me in thanking you for your custom and hope this will not deter you from staying with us in future.
Myself and the team at the hotel look forward to welcoming you back in near future.

Kind Regards

Sushil Gupta

Reviewed 19 January 2012

Quite well located, though a little difficult to find (local signage poor). Good bus service
to Cambridge centre, the stop 9 or 10 minutes walk from hotel. Accommodation satisfactory
and staff friendly - a (Duty?) Manager very helpful regarding an incident the first night.
Seemingly no nearby dining and the hotel's bar offering extremely limited choice; not one
sparkling wine and the pleasant barmaid when asked if they had Campari said "What's
that, never heard of that." Michel Parfois-Sage.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 January 2012

As always with most Holdiay Inn Express Hotels the breakfast is unlimited and free and the rooms are marginally better than a premier inn / travel lodge

This one is hidden by the airport and is a congested 15 minute drive to the city centre or a straight non stop 5 minute drive.

It has free parking unlike other city centre hotels. If you need a cab (or a drink!) I suggest a more central option.

Otherwise, as advertised.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Chose HIE as it seemed reasonable price compared to cambridge's overpriced hotels. You also usually know what you are going to get in HIE. This is a New HIE so had a nice newish feel to it. But some areas I did think looked a bit grubby and needed a bit of a elbow grease.

LOCATION
Location is a little out the way of Cambridge city Centre, on the website they say 20 minutes, receptionist said 25-30 minutes and somebody else said 40 minutes. I think 40 minutes is probably more accurate. Its in a new business type area, with a fitness gym close by and a large catering cash and carry. Seems quite quiet area and very safe. However I wouldnt walk this area by myself at night.

Taking a taxi is probably the easiest way, though there is a bus stop 5 minutes away. I think taxi was about £15

Ask the receptionist for a map of city centre and hotel location and she will mark it down for you and main areas to shop etc

CAR PARK
Secure entry/exit - Seemed secure, quiet and safe. And easy to park

SERVICE
Staff were lovely and seemed happy to help even rustling me up a salad even though it was not on the menu and the chef had just been about to leave.

BREAKFAST
I hate HIE breakfasts - they are always pants and this was no exception - also seemed a bit dirty. However it was part of the price so I did have a mediocre breakfast.

ROOM
Usual HIE room. I had a twin room it was a little small for 2 people but no complaints no smaller than other hotels. Usual shower etc facilities and room was quiet. My only complaint was the tv which was a old type and didnt work very well. Paid for a movie and sound quality was so bad we couldnt hear the actors and picture quality was bad no matter how much we adjusted.
The room was reasonably clean and I had no complaints but not squeaky sparkling clean if you know what I mean. Usual heating/cool facilities. Our room had views of the grass area where we watched in amazement as the fatest rabbits I have ever seen frollicked around.

SUMMARY
Considering the dreadful prices of other hotels in Cambridge this hotel was pretty good. Don't be put off by location it works out okay.

If this review was helpful can you click the helpful button

Cheers