“excellent clean rooms”

Ranked #14 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Washington, United Kingdom
“excellent clean rooms”
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Stayed here for work 15&16 June as city centre hotels all booked. Rooms are very clean and bed very comfortable. It is a bit out of the city centre but I walked and it takes about half an hour or there is a bus service. All the staff very very friendly and helpful. Breakfast is limited in terms of cooked food but everything else is there. The food at night is good amd service quick. Best thing was it is so quiet, when my colleagues were all complaining about the noise in their city centre hotels. I will stay again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank mark j
ExpressCambridge, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge, responded to this review, 19 July 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments. I'am pleased to learn that you found the hotel clean, comfortable and upto your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back in near future.

Sushil Gupta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Hereford UK
Reviewed 21 June 2012

We took the car to Cambridge, and with free parking this was a good choice - parking in the city is limited and expensive. There is a frequent M - Sat bus service to the city (half hourly on Sunday) an easy walk via the foot and cycle path passing the hotel (Brook Road direction), or one can easily drive to the Newmarket Road P + R.
The hotel is clean, smart, and comfortable in the typical Holiday Inn Express style, the staff were welcoming, and the breakfast included in the price was generous with some hot items. We chose a room with a sofa bed which made reading or watching TV easier, and the bed was very comfortable - excellent shower room with facility to separate the WC using the door, which is nice when more than one in the room. All in all a very good stay.
For those who want it, there is a David Lloyd fitness and tennis centre next door.

Room Tip: Rooms with sofa bed are a plus, at the same price.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ColinDavid
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments. We are pleased to learn that the hotel met your expectations.
We look forward to welcoming you back in near future.

Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2012

Stayed at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge in June 2012 as part of a training course with work, with 4 other crew. From the outside the hotel looks great, it has a modern entrance and the wooden panelling has been kept to a high standard. If you're having trouble finding the hotel, it's part of a business park next to David Lloyd gym.

Check-in was easy, and I was given room 235. It's on the top floor of the hotel, quite a distance from the lifts but only two flights of stairs if you're feeling fit. The room had two twin beds, and also a door to the adjoining room. The TV was great with all Freeview channels, however the volume seems to be limited to 18 - which is a bit of a pain as a little louder would have been easier to hear.

The hotel lobby/bar is called the Great Room I think which is very modern with big comfy leather seats and lighting. Breakfast is the usual Holiday Inn Express 'Express Start' affair, with hot sausage, scrambled eggs and beans. A bit of bacon would have been nice, but the hot rolls and croissant make up for that. If you're looking for an evening meal at the hotel, they begin serving from 6pm I think. It's quite expensive for the quality of the food, so I'd recommend going to David Lloyd gym next door where the food is great value and high quality. You don't need to be a member, just ask at reception to be let thru to the restaurant. Otherwise you're welcome to order in food or grab a taxi into Cambridge. If you're booking a taxi try Panther as they're very reliable and you shouldn't have to wait long.

Parking at the hotel is free, there's a smoking area outside for smokers (which is always nice!), and you can sit outside for breakfast/drinks at the rear garden weather permitting. If the sun in shining in the UK, make the most of it.

Staff were always pleasant and on my last night at the hotel of 6, I had to call reception as the gentlemen in the adjoining room was using loudspeaker on his phone at 11pm. Within minutes, I could hear the hotel staff visiting him and the noise stopped.

If you're having drinks in your room, the ice machine is located just as you enter the hotel to the right, and you can ask for wine/tall glasses from the bar to save you drinking from plastic hotel bathroom cups!

Room Tip: The lift can take a while, and if you'd prefer not to take the stairs every time, request a room...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank conrad1402
ExpressCambridge, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us. I'm pleased to learn that we met your expectations.
I have noted down your comments regarding dinner and I will ensure that the comments are passed onto the correct department to avoid inconvenience to our customers.
Please note that this is not the normal standard of service at Holiday Inn Expresss Cambridge and I hope this will not deter you from staying with us in future.

The team along with me would like to thank you for your custom and we look forward to welcoming you back in near future.

Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2012

Stayed for only one night as a visit to see Cambridge sights. Only a couple of miles out of the city centre, ample secure parking and nice quiet area. Room was lovely, bed comfortable and staff very polite and friendly both at reception and breakfast. Also have a bar which was a bonus.
Breakfast is buffet service. Good range of drinks and food. Set us up well for a day in the city.
One word of warning though - parking in the city is VERY expensive!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Blakey_12
West Yorkshire England
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Provided I can get a room for a satisfactory price (by booking at the "right" time I usually can) I like the HIX brand which is generally consistent across all hotels. We were well received by reception - which was a good start! We had a good sized room with a decent bed, a,work suface. a three seater settee and adequate lighting.However for the first time that I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express there were room faults. The toilet would not stop flushing, the television did not work and the shower tray was slow in clearing - I could have taken a bath in it at the end! (Management - please note that I forgot to report the shower tray - it was the last room on the left on the first floor, maybe number 146).
I like the HIX breakfast! The rolls are good, coffee is unlimited and I have to admit I actually like the sausages! It is not a bad morning repast for a cheapish hotel. I did not use the bar mainly because there was no-one in it and it looked a bit forlorn - but there is one.
It is quite easy to reach central Cambridge - take the footpath to the left of the exit to the hotel, walk about 800 yards and then take the no. 2 bus whhich will take you to Cambridge in about 10 minutes with a frequent service (possibly every 10 minutes).
All in all it was a good stay, only slightly undermined by the faults in the room.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
ExpressCambridge, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge, responded to this review, 7 June 2012
Dear Sir

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay. I'm pleased to learn that we met your expectations.

With regards to your comments relating to faults in the room, please be rest assured that we will investigate into this and resolve the issues.Please note that this is not indicative of normal service offered at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge and we hope that this will not deter you from staying with us in future.

Once again thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in near future.

Munich, Germany
Reviewed 1 June 2012

Have stayed here for 3 nights in May and would not recommend it to anyone.

Positive points (there are some) are the location, a couple of miles only from the city center, ample free private parking space and the area is very quiet.

But bedding is a disgrace for this price (resulting in backpain every single morning), the "continental" breakfast is worse than on a cheap airline, and Wifi simply did not work, neither the free version in the lobby, nor the paying one in the rooms. This can be a big problem if you need that connection for work purposes.
Coming from continental Europe, I forgot to bring my plug adapter. In all hotels I've ever visited, some are available at reception desk complimentary for the duration of your stay (if not already given to other guests)...well...not here, I had to buy one from reception, only option given!

I would not be so harsh in my review if price level had been lower, but at approximately GBP 100 per night (and a list price of GBP 150), this is not acceptable.

Lots of improvement needed.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank paddymunich
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. I’m glad to learn about the positive comments in your review.
With regards to your comments regarding beds, I can assure you that as regular maintenance procedure we have recently changed most of the mattresses and beds and we continuously monitor this to ensure that our guest have a pleasant stay.
I would like to highlight that the breakfast served at the hotel is the standard breakfast served in all Holiday Inn Express hotels across the country. In the past years we have listened to feedback from our customers and added hot items to our regular continental breakfast.
With regards to internet, I sincerely apologise if this has caused inconvenience to yourself. If at any time there is an issue with internet please contact a member of team and they will be more than happy to assist you. Internet is provided by an external company and any issues have been raised up with them to avoid any inconvenience to our customers.
With regards to price I can assure you that we are very competitive in pricing as compared to other hotels in the area.. I would like to highlight price sometime vary and depends on the booking window. Lower prices can be achieved by booking rooms on our advance saver rate.
I once again apologise for any inconvenience caused to yourself and I assure you that this is not indicative of normal standard of service offered at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge. I hope this will not deter you from staying with us in future. We look forward to welcoming you.

Wiltshire
Reviewed 1 June 2012

Stayed here for 1 night on Business. The room is good, clean and has all the things you need for an overnight stay, Descent bed, TV, Coffee /Tea making facilities, etc. No Bath, but a good sized shower. They do a evening meal, and have a Bar, but its all in the reception area which does feel a bit odd. With that said my evening meal was very good, the same can't be said for the breakfast which was pretty poor. Would probably stay here again, but its not the best.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge, responded to this review, 8 July 2012
Dear Coyote69,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. I am pleased you liked your room accommodations as well as your evening meal. I am deeply sorry you found our hotel less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Jaime W