“Holiday Inn Express”

Holiday Inn Express Cambridge
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 8 November 2012

I really liked this hotel. At last, a Holiday Inn Express Hotel that gets everything right. From start to finish this was a pleasurable experience in what is quite frankly one of the best run Holiday Inn establishments I have stayed in.

Check in is painless and efficient. The reception and lobby area also doubles up as a breakfast room in the mornings and the layout almost creates a hotel community within the building. There is also an internet area for those that do not have their own laptops and want to access the internet.

This holiday Inn offers free parking for its quests unlike others. It also provides free wi-fi in the lobby area. In fact on the first day of my 2 night stop over this was a little problematic but staff worked hard to get it working and made sure that I got connected. I can't emphasise how efficient and friendly the staff here are.

The room was spotlessly clean and comfortable with ample creature comforts. Breakfast in the morning was standard Holiday Inn Express but everything was very clean and well organised. The breakfast choice is good with a limited cooked English Breakfast and continental or cereals.

The lobby has a good vending machine so if you just want a quick sandwich or a pie then they will warm it up for you at the bar. The vending machine choice is pretty good. The food service in the evening is also very good. I was given a very nice soup of the day choice, followed by an excellent mains dish and it was superb and not expensive.

I would definately recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 30 October 2012

Clean, relatively new, small but decent enough rooms without the black rotting mastic that seems to infect other Cambridge hotels. You need transport as it's a ways out but perfectly decent. 1 star dropped due to the duty manager on checkout being miserable and almost grunting with single syllable responses. Let you down a lot there.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
ExpressCambridge, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review regarding your stay with us. I'm pleased to know that we met your expectations. I have noted down your comments relating to the staff member. Please be rest assured that all the necessary steps will be taken to avoid any inconvenience to our customers.
Please note this is not indicative of standard customer service provided at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge. Our aim is to ensure all our guest enjoy their stay and feel valued during their stay with us.
I hope this will not deter you from staying with us in future. Myself and the team look forward to welcoming you in the future.

Kind Regards
Sushil Gupta

Reviewed 24 October 2012

THe location of Holiday Inn Express suits us as it is next to the David Lloyd. We had inter connecting rooms which was helpful. Our only comment for improvement would be the conjestion at breakfast onSunday morning.
Best wishes
Kerry Cordon

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 17 October 2012

I stayed two night (Fri & Sat). Its near the end of the runway, but I only heard light aircraft. I think there are a lot of small business jet flight during weekdays, so it may be nosier. As it was it was'nt much of a problem. My room was at the back by the railway line. This seems to be freight only line, and very short but heavy trains went past. There was some noise but nothing too bad. The room was a twin, though it was just me in it !. A large room with all the normal's, though this had soap dispensers rather than the little bottle some hotels have. The new style LG 32inch LCD tv was nice to see. Overall quiet and the usual Holiday In standard. The only down side was the price. It was quiet a bit higher than I've paid before, but I needed this location.

Room Tip: Probably front of the hotel would be quieter, and the railway is at the back.
1  Thank sharla82
Reviewed 11 October 2012

I stayed here for a business trip in October 2012. I have to say, it was a pleasant stay. My room was a lot more comfortable than I had expected and I managed to get a great nights sleep! The breakfast was fair, although it did fee like a tourist trap hotel in the morning.

The only down side was lack of free WiFi (I couldn’t get it to work in my room…) and how far away it was from everywhere. You’d probably need to get a cab back or drive as it’s in the middle of nowhere… However, Cambridge is generally so delightful it’s worth the cab cost!

Decent stay for the price, I’d return again.

Reviewed 6 October 2012 via mobile

Stayed for work & was really disappointed to find that there was no restaurant and only minimal bar services. Located quite a way outside of Cambridge, cherry Hinton to be exact. I was recommended by the staff to eat at the Robin Hood inn which is several miles away, too far to walk. Meal was very poor but better than the sweaty burgers I saw beig served over the bar at the hotel.
Breakfast is ridiculously poor with powdered scrambled eggs & no bacon. The coffee from the machine was foul.

• Stayed: October 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2012

Dear stumpymonkey,

I appreciate your willingness to share your experience with us. I am pleased you found our hotel clean. I apologize that breakfast was a let down and did not meet your expectations. I will make sure that your comments will be forwarded to the appropriate departments and be reviewed. Your comments are truly valuable, as this will give us an opportunity to look for areas to improve. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to host you again on your next visit.

Irish V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 2 October 2012

When i book Holiday Inn Express, was not extremely convinced about the product as i had tried several ones in europ and the installation was not perfect . But this one is just excellent , nice looking outisde with large parking , good lobby and very confortable rooms . Hotel was busy but very quiet in the rooms and you could also have a small dinner ordering at the bar ; breakfast is ok and the service is top . A very good experience for such type of hotel

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business