“Very Helpful Staff but the Location is Not Convenient”

Holiday Inn Express Cambridge
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 24 January 2013

I chose this hotel because I had business in Cambridge and I was interested in earning the Priority Club points. Also, the price for this hotel was fairly reasonable though a little high for an HI Express. I looked on the map and it was only a 10-minute or so drive from the train station near the airport (such as it is). But that did not tell the real story of its location. It was well out away from everything. There was no such thing as walking to a restaurant or a convenience store. As I did not have a car, the choice was to take dinner at the hotel or take a taxi to town. Basically, the dinner was prepared in their kitchen but this hotel did not have a restaurant. The procedure was to order at the bar from a limited menu and one of the front desk staff then brought it to me in the breakfast room. It was not what I would call an enjoyable experience but at least I did get some dinner at a nominally reasonable price (and the taste was not bad, really). The staff were friendly and efficient enough. The room was adequately spacious and clean but there were a couple of problems. Firstly, the TV remote was missing from the room. Also, it was frustrating to try to get into the WiFi. It would not allow me to enter my information to pay for the service. Fortunately, the front desk was able to sell me a log in directly. There was free WiFi in the public area but it was painfully slow. I had a coupon for a free drink and used it to get some coffee. That was a mistake as the coffee was pretty bad. The bed was comfortable so I was able to get a good night's sleep; indeed, that was a plus. The breakfast in the morning was reasonably good, however, with a decent variety. It featured eggs, sausages, beans, breads, yogurt, cereals, fruit, coffee, tea and juices. With all of this, I was going to rate this hotel as "average" if it were not for the morning. I had lost my passport and was frantically trying to find it (I was never successful). The reason for elevating my rating to a "very good" was because of the performance of the staff through that ordeal. They were fantastically helpful and bent over backwards to help by searching their own facilties and then feeding me helpful information concerning people my colleague and I could call. I really appreciated their attitude as that counts for a lot. If you need a place to stay in Cambridge, all in all this is not a bad deal though it is better if you have a car available.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Cambridge

Reviewed 16 January 2013

This hotel is out of the city on an industrial estate. My husband and I stayed there Saturday 12th January 2013. Not impressed. "Welcome" was a little strained. Room OK - but not very large, shower rather than bath, and mattress very firm. Pillows were synthetic. Would have had to pay quite a lot more for wi-fi access.

Worst thing was the food in the evening - very little choice, I ended up ordering a burger - which was small and very over-done. No salad, just chips and a rather odd tomato sauce. I left most if it - and if I hadn't paid up-front, I wouldn't have!

Free breakfast, not too bad, but no bacon - just scrambled eggs, sausages and beans.

I've stayed on business in Holiday Inn Express hotels before, and would recommend them normally. e.g. the Watford branch has a kitchenette where you can heat up take-away meals. But not the Cambridge one!

Maureen White

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
ExpressCambridge, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. All our guest comments are valuable and we consider them seriously in the consistent endeavour to improve the quality of our products and service.

I’m dismayed to learn that we shortfall of your expectations. I have noted down your comments regarding the welcome and I assure you all necessary steps will be taken to ensure our guests feel welcomed.

With regards to your comments regarding food, I would like to highlight that we offer a limited choice menu during weekends. However, I have noted down the comments related to the quality of food and I will be personally speaking to the concerned team members.

Please be rest assured that this is not conclusive of normal service offered at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge. I hope this will not deter you from staying with us in future. Myself and the team would like to thank you for your custom and we look forward to welcoming you back in near future.

Reviewed 10 January 2013

We spent two nights at the Holiday Inn in August 2012 whilst we were looking for houses in the Cambridge area. The location couldn't have been better for us, car parking right outside and easy to access without going through the center of town. However, parking is pretty expensive in Cambridge, so unless you are planning to use the park and ride and you are staying primarily to see the sights, you might be better paying a little more for the convenience of walking in from a more central hotel.

The hotel was very clean and well presented. The only exception is that I felt we were let down on arrival, as there was no one at reception and we had to ask a member of staff working at the bar if he could find someone to check us in. It was late-ish on a Friday night, but I would have still expected to be greeted on arrival.

The Holiday Inn Express chain is definitely growing me after a few recent visits. For value for money, they really cannot be beaten.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back face fields rather than the car park.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
ExpressCambridge, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I'm pleased to learn that you enjoyed certain aspects of your stay.

I'm disappointed to learn that your welcome was not up to the standards. Please be rest assured that this is not indicative of our normal service standards. We aim to provide best and superior service to all our customers and strive to exceed guests expectations.

I assure you that we will take all necessary steps to ensure that all our guests receive a warm welcome on arrival.

I hope this will not deter you from staying with us in future. myself and the team would like to thank you for your custom and we look forward to welcoming you back in near future.

Reviewed 10 January 2013

Took 2 adults 2 tennage kids to stay - ro rate was great in advance considred 2 nd night but rate was much higher

Super nice staff at all hours

Room really small with sofa bed out but managable

Breakfast average but included in room rate si no complaints

Quite far from main sights - public transport possible but not ideal

Lots of parking and taxis will probably cost under 10 pounds each way - parking in centre is also expensive esp. In shopping mall car parks for more than a few hours

Great place ti visit though and Holiday Inn express is a good choice to stay - will go again!

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I'm pleased to learn that we met your expectations. I will pass your kind comments to the team here at holiday inn express Cambridge.

Reviewed 8 January 2013

We have just had a 1 night stay here having dropped our daughter at Stansted airport. The location was easily accessible though not the prettiest. As we booked well in advance we got an excellent deal, we have stayed in Holiday Inn Express hotels before and weren't disappointed.

The welcome we got from the male member of staff was excellent, he was efficient, friendly and polite and introduced us to the priority club rewards scheme too.

Unfortunately I didn't manage to get much sleep as the mattress was so uncomfortable, I could feel the buttons on the mattress digging in me even though there was a mattress topper on, you could feel the springs too. I think it was time a new mattress was due! Our double room was spotlessly clean so no complaints there and the shower was excellent with plenty of hot water. We weren't sure where the noise was coming from but there was also a low humming noise within our room, I checked on the corridor outside but it was definitely inside... maybe from the heating or lights maybe? (room 216)

It's nice to be able to make in drink in the morning from the hospitality tray before going down to breakfast. There is a fairly decent choice of hot and cold breakfast so you won't go hungry, I can't comment on the staff really as although they are around they keep things running smoothly without really coming into contact with you. On the whole the area is clean and comfortable and we came away full and had no grumbles.

If we were in the area I'm sure we would happily stay again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I'm pleased to learn that we met your expectations. I will pass on your kind comments to the team. I have noted down you comments regarding the mattress and the noise from the room. I will ensure that these are checked to avoid any inconvenience to our guests.

Reviewed 8 January 2013

located on the outer suburbs of Cambridge, the hotel is very comfortable.

The rooms are correct and clean, the breakfast offers a fairly good choice of eggs and bacon and toast, cereals and jam, though the croissants looked on the stale side or definitely not crispy and fresh.

The restaurant and pub offer excellent food and the staff is friendly and helpful.

Strangely, internet is free only in the lobby and restaurant area while it is at charge in the room.

The only negative side is that rooms are not heated through a central hot pipe system. You need to use the A/C for this and the A/C works only when your card is inserted in the holder slot. So be prepared to find an icy room when you get back in the evening and be ready to wait for half an hour before it gets any warmer.... In my case it was snowing in Cambridge the week before Christmas and it was not a nice return to my room... I then folded some paper and kept it stuck into the card holder to keep the A/C on :-)

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 January 2013

This is a cheap but nice place to doss down for the night, clean neat and a straight up no nonsence place to stop for a night, breakfast is minimal but for the price more than adequate. free wifi in the breakfast area thanks. Staff were friendly and helpful. It was nice watching rabbits and squirrels out of the picture widows at breakfasts most whimsical.
Thanks to the staff over the Christmas stay. The ratings below a reflective for the start rating only.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lifts and service/air conditioning rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I'am pleased to learn that the hotel and staff service met your expectations. I will pass on your kind comments to the team members.

We would like to thank you for your custom and look forward to welcoming back in near future.