Holiday Inn Express Cambridge
Fenners Hotel(Cambridge)
  • Breakfast included
Panos Hotel(Cambridge)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbusiness parkhi expresscity centredavid lloydcycle pathfree wifibeansthe sofa bedquiet locationminute drivebudget hotelbreakfast was includedshort staywhat it says on the tinclean hotelcar parkbus stop
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 January 2013

If you book late to stay in Cambridge, expect to pay well over the odds. The Holiday Inn Express is a case in point. I paid £150 for two nights for myself and two children but, during our stay, the price showing behind the reception desk was a truly ridiculous £150.00 per room - a very small room - per night.

In the hotel’s favour, the staff are hard-working and multi-tasking. They serve behind reception and behind the bar and at breakfast as well. Presumably, they are also on duty at dinner, which was rather too expensive to be tempting, especially when residents can use the restaurant in the David Lloyd Tennis Centre next door. (The tennis centre apart, there is nothing else in the vicinity as the hotel is way out of town.)

On to the bedrooms which prompted this entry. The beds are comfortable but – and this is a really big BUT – the bathrooms have much the same smell of stale urine that you might experience in a public loo or a 40-year-old railway carriage WC. It is not an easy smell to ignore or, for that matter, to explain in that the hotel is relatively new.

Perhaps this problem was peculiar to Room 127 but I have my doubts.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 838mair838
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

Dear 838mair838,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We value your comments as they help us to improve our services and maintain the very high standards of service our guests expect.

I am sorry to hear that your stay with us did not live up to your expectations and that there were a number of factors that impacted your visit. I sincerely apologize for not being able to deliver an exemplary performance during your stay and we regret the inconvenience you had with the bathroom.

I regret that you found these aspects of your stay displeasing, your feedback will be discussed with the management team and will be taken into considerations for future improvements. We all hope that should your travel plans bring you back to the area, you will give our hotel another try and allow us to redeem your faith in our award winning service.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 29 January 2013

We had a good one night stay in the family room. Small but sufficient room.Overall clean, just spent one night.
Breakfast next day was also fine, though we had to wait a while for fresh eggs to be refilled.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Dear Rdtrip_13,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant, so we are very pleased to note that you were satisfied with the level of service and facilities of the hotel. It encourages our team members to work even harder and consistently delight our guests. Your patronage and support to the hotel is very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 24 January 2013

I chose this hotel because I had business in Cambridge and I was interested in earning the Priority Club points. Also, the price for this hotel was fairly reasonable though a little high for an HI Express. I looked on the map and it was only a 10-minute or so drive from the train station near the airport (such as it is). But that did not tell the real story of its location. It was well out away from everything. There was no such thing as walking to a restaurant or a convenience store. As I did not have a car, the choice was to take dinner at the hotel or take a taxi to town. Basically, the dinner was prepared in their kitchen but this hotel did not have a restaurant. The procedure was to order at the bar from a limited menu and one of the front desk staff then brought it to me in the breakfast room. It was not what I would call an enjoyable experience but at least I did get some dinner at a nominally reasonable price (and the taste was not bad, really). The staff were friendly and efficient enough. The room was adequately spacious and clean but there were a couple of problems. Firstly, the TV remote was missing from the room. Also, it was frustrating to try to get into the WiFi. It would not allow me to enter my information to pay for the service. Fortunately, the front desk was able to sell me a log in directly. There was free WiFi in the public area but it was painfully slow. I had a coupon for a free drink and used it to get some coffee. That was a mistake as the coffee was pretty bad. The bed was comfortable so I was able to get a good night's sleep; indeed, that was a plus. The breakfast in the morning was reasonably good, however, with a decent variety. It featured eggs, sausages, beans, breads, yogurt, cereals, fruit, coffee, tea and juices. With all of this, I was going to rate this hotel as "average" if it were not for the morning. I had lost my passport and was frantically trying to find it (I was never successful). The reason for elevating my rating to a "very good" was because of the performance of the staff through that ordeal. They were fantastically helpful and bent over backwards to help by searching their own facilties and then feeding me helpful information concerning people my colleague and I could call. I really appreciated their attitude as that counts for a lot. If you need a place to stay in Cambridge, all in all this is not a bad deal though it is better if you have a car available.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 January 2013

This hotel is out of the city on an industrial estate. My husband and I stayed there Saturday 12th January 2013. Not impressed. "Welcome" was a little strained. Room OK - but not very large, shower rather than bath, and mattress very firm. Pillows were synthetic. Would have had to pay quite a lot more for wi-fi access.

Worst thing was the food in the evening - very little choice, I ended up ordering a burger - which was small and very over-done. No salad, just chips and a rather odd tomato sauce. I left most if it - and if I hadn't paid up-front, I wouldn't have!

Free breakfast, not too bad, but no bacon - just scrambled eggs, sausages and beans.

I've stayed on business in Holiday Inn Express hotels before, and would recommend them normally. e.g. the Watford branch has a kitchenette where you can heat up take-away meals. But not the Cambridge one!

Maureen White

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
ExpressCambridge, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. All our guest comments are valuable and we consider them seriously in the consistent endeavour to improve the quality of our products and service.

I’m dismayed to learn that we shortfall of your expectations. I have noted down your comments regarding the welcome and I assure you all necessary steps will be taken to ensure our guests feel welcomed.

With regards to your comments regarding food, I would like to highlight that we offer a limited choice menu during weekends. However, I have noted down the comments related to the quality of food and I will be personally speaking to the concerned team members.

Please be rest assured that this is not conclusive of normal service offered at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge. I hope this will not deter you from staying with us in future. Myself and the team would like to thank you for your custom and we look forward to welcoming you back in near future.

Kind Regards
Sushil Gupta

Reviewed 10 January 2013

We spent two nights at the Holiday Inn in August 2012 whilst we were looking for houses in the Cambridge area. The location couldn't have been better for us, car parking right outside and easy to access without going through the center of town. However, parking is pretty expensive in Cambridge, so unless you are planning to use the park and ride and you are staying primarily to see the sights, you might be better paying a little more for the convenience of walking in from a more central hotel.

The hotel was very clean and well presented. The only exception is that I felt we were let down on arrival, as there was no one at reception and we had to ask a member of staff working at the bar if he could find someone to check us in. It was late-ish on a Friday night, but I would have still expected to be greeted on arrival.

The Holiday Inn Express chain is definitely growing me after a few recent visits. For value for money, they really cannot be beaten.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back face fields rather than the car park.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
ExpressCambridge, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I'm pleased to learn that you enjoyed certain aspects of your stay.

I'm disappointed to learn that your welcome was not up to the standards. Please be rest assured that this is not indicative of our normal service standards. We aim to provide best and superior service to all our customers and strive to exceed guests expectations.

I assure you that we will take all necessary steps to ensure that all our guests receive a warm welcome on arrival.

I hope this will not deter you from staying with us in future. myself and the team would like to thank you for your custom and we look forward to welcoming you back in near future.

Kind Regards