“Couldn't fault it” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Couldn't fault it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

I stayed for 2 nights and had an excellent stay: the room was clean and comfortable, everything worked, the staff were helpful...I was even greeted with a smile and 'Good morning' at 6.30am. My room overlooked the carpark but I didnt hear any late-arriving guests. The evening meals were excellent value: perfectly-cooked steak and chips for instance. The free wi-fi was a pre-requisite for my stay and worked well with a little help from the staff. The taxis arrived promptly but it costs £10 to get into the city. I will be happily staying here again.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for one Sunday night after a wedding. On entering we we spoke to a very nice lady behind reception. Our room was on the first floor. Having only paid £52 for the room, with breakfast included, I was most impressed. The bed was very comfortable and the shower was lovely. The one thing I wall say is if you are looking for a city centre hotel this may not be the best for you. To get a cab in to the city centre costs about £10 so you are looking at a £20 round trip.
I would stay he again and the hotel has changed my girlfriend opinion of Holiday inn express hotels.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Charlie419
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Expensive enough but I wasn't paying - probably one of the best business hotels in Cambridge - sorry travelodge!
Room great - very functional, big telly, very comfortable bed, nice sofa, decent bathroom, though the toilet was smelly. Shower warm - all the soap supplied. No fridge

Staff friendly and helpful
Little understaffed at Brekky - often no cutlery to stir stuff - restocking of empty areas etc.
Free breakfast was good. Hot option a bit dull after 1 day. Fried eggs, boiled eggs, bacon, anything other than Sausage, scrambled egg and beans would be good for variety.
No comp water was disapointing - seems pretty standard these days.
Free internet was slow - which is poor for a business hotel

Docked 1 point because of Internet, water and hot breakfast variety (sorry)

Was on business. Spent a week in the hotel - arrived and was given early check in. The staff were really helpful giving details on how to get to Cambridge (about 2 miles away).
Got to walk on an closed cycle path(scary at night but safe I guess), followed by a walk down the interesting Mill Road into Cambridge center.

I didn't eat dinner in the hotel based on the breakfast - hint to hotel -> supply a better breakfast and reap the reward at dinner time.

The reception folk were really helpful ringing taxi and also ringing the airport at checkout.

All in all good quality hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor - if are fit enough to get up the stairs! You might see the lake.
Newport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights, checked in by a very pleasant lady i think her name was Roxana?
Room was clean and comfortable, breakfast was good and there is free wifi throughout the hotel.
Good location, pretty central. Would stay here again.

1 Thank sally d
Tamworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

After reading reviews, I was somewhat hesitant about booking here, however, it was an "only option" decision and so I was impressed when I arrived to find friendly staff and a clean hotel. I was offered a complimentary cup of coffee while I waited for my room and the staff were friendly and helpful.

The room was quite large, the bed was big, fresh and clean and I had no problems here whatsoever.

The only downside is that it's a little out of the city centre and the price is a little high for a Holiday Inn.

All in all though, a decent night's sleep.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

I should have researched better myself but the inn is far from the sights I wanted to visit. But the staff were rude when I asked transport questions and would look away rather than pay attention when I walked up to the reception desk - it was too hard for them to help me find out information to make my stay enjoyable. I cannot recommend - and the food was indeed very ordinary,

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Elizabeth B
ExpressCambridge, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Dear Elizabeth B,
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. I am so sorry to hear that the service and meals were not to your expectations. I am very concerned regarding the service from the reception desk as we do have a wide selection of maps and recommendations on Cambridge attractions, and this is certainly not representative of our normal standards from our friendly team.
Regarding our dinner menu, we do have a menu which changes seasonally including a variety of options such as Steaks, Burgers, pasta dishes, curries etc.We will always try our best to accomodate any requests that you may have, should you visit us again.
Once again thank you for your feedback, Kind Regards Kate and the team