“We liked it so much we just booked it again”
Review of Ashley Hotel

Ashley Hotel
Ranked #20 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Spacious rooms, clean & tidy with friendly staff. Good breakfast, well cooked. Plenty of parking and the town centre is a pleasast 15min walk away. The only problem was we wanted to check in a bit early but it wasn't possible before 15:00.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ynys-Chickpea

Reviewed 29 November 2013

The Ashley B&B is situated to the north of Cambridge, not particularly conveniently for the rail station, but a no.2 bus from the city centre will take you right to the door. I collected my key from Arundel House with no trouble, and the receptionist there was friendly and helpful. My room was a very good size, with two easy chairs and a decent ensuite. It was a good deal more spacious and convenient than some smart hotel rooms I have stayed in. The decor was clean and of good quality, in that rather heavy style of many guest houses, with matching curtains, pelmets and bedspread, all in deep greens and maroons- is there a special trade supplier of this upholstery, I wonder?- but all was warm and comfortable. A teapot is supplied with the tea and coffee making facilities, which is very nice, and also biscuits, which was a bonus. Breakfast was very good and if anything a bit overgenerous, as I couldn't finish the large amount of scrambled eggs I was given. Sausages and bacon were lean and tasty. The people serving it were all very polite and friendly. It was very quiet at night and overall I would stay here again if I needed to visit Cambridge. It's a pleasant walk across Jesus Green to Bridge Street and only a little further to the University Library.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank chelseabunLondon
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

This was a last minute booking for a night mid week and was chosen because of the location and available parking which was good

The hotel was not staffed on arrival instead the intercom directed us to a hotel down the road where we had to walk to get the key which wS about five minutes away

We stayed out until four in the afternoon intending to return to get ready for the night, when we got to the room there was no hot water so we couldn't get a shower this was reported and when we returned at midnight there was hot water but we were too tired to bother

The place is clean and tidy and quiet if you overlook the car park area, breakfast was ok and staff were attentive enough when they were there, I would stay her again it was a nice handy base

Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank thegoose768
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed here on 19.10.13 and from reading the reviews on here, I knew we had to check in at the other hotel which was fine. They were expecting us and our key was ready and the staff were friendly and gave us a local map which was really helpful. When we got to the Ashley, I was very pleased with our room. It was a nice big, bright room and was spotlessly clean. The shower room was small but exactly what we needed and again, very clean. There was shampoo, shower gel, towels and a hairdrier all provided. The breakfast the next morning was very nice and plenty of it too.
We were looking for slightly cheaper accommodation and all the B&B's were a 2 night minimum stay and the Ashley was half the price of many of the other hotels in the area. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Recently had two nights here and Andrea at reception could not have been more helpful. We arrived quite late in terrible raining weather. We hadn't booked anywhere and were very tired after a long drive. Came across the Ashley Hotel and luckily they had a room available. The room was comfortable, decor a little outdated but for 80 pounds a night with a good breakfast and helpful, friendly staff we were very happy. It is about a 15 minute pleasant walk to the centre of Cambridge and there a number of good pubs close by as well as a supermarket directly across the street which was very handy

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tracey0421
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed with family two nights and first night it was stiflingly hot, family on the front with windows open were on busy road. The noise also came from creaky floorboards in the rooms above and on stairs. This is sister hotel to Arumdale and it seems they simply have crammed in rooms everywhere for overflow.

• Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank Hungrybo
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Overall the location is good and from

Here are some things that made the stay so bad:

1. The decor - Naff is the best way to describe it. The bathroom was a mix between hearing aid beige and washed out pink. The carpets were about the worst I have seen and the actual bed was adorned with the sort of blanket you would expect to see in a tv show set in the 1960s.

2. The bed - This was where things started to get really bad. The mattress was bad, very bad, and old. It felt like I was sleeping on a cheap pull out mattress from a sofa bed. The pillows were again pretty awful and the material used to cover both was very course and felt pretty unpleasant against skin.

3. The fixtures / Fittings - Well, there are no power sockets by the bed (odd right?) so I had to put my phone on the table on the other side of the room which was irritating. The phone didn't work. There was no iron in the room. The TV was the smallest I have ever seen in the last few years. A 15 inch?

4. Tea / Coffee making facilities - 4 types of sugar and one type of tea is frankly odd (white, brown and 2 types of sweetener) for tea you had an option of english breakfast or nothing.

5. Noise - I was in room 10. This is not a good room, you have the constant road noise, there is no air con (not sure why I thought there might be) and every time someone goes in or out you will clearly be able to hear the back door closing with a slam.

6. Service - Actually the staff were very nice. That said the fact that the staff were not in the hotel was less good. Unless you happen to be checking in during the small time window they give you will need to check in at a hotel which is about a 10 minute walk down the road. This is not the end of the world, just irritating.

7. Location - Not too bad really, aside from the kids on scooters whizzing by the window it seemed fine.

Room Tip: Don't take room 10. Do stay somewhere else.