“a bit soulless but decent accomodation..”
Review of Ashley Hotel

Ashley Hotel
Ranked #20 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 3 November 2008

The decor could do with some modernisation - the rooms are basic but spacious. The hotel is in a nice old house but it is quite cold and soulless. All the management seems to come from Arudel House and there was no staff there when we arrived at 3pm, which felt quite unwelcoming.

On the up side, there is parking and it is possible to walk to the town centre, though be wary, it is 20/30 minutes.

Breakfast was quite good. I would prefer free range eggs though! Staff at breakfast were very helpful and friendly.

All in all for the price (£75 per room) I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MCDublin9

Reviewed 23 September 2008

Never again.

Arrived to a locked door with a sign to press the intercom bell.

No answer after waiting for 15 mins. Returned after an hour with the same situation. When about to leave the chambermaid (I think) opened the door to tell us that the reception opens at certain times and that check in should be done at a sister hotel, The Arundel, about half a mile away. Good if you have a car, but otherwise......

No lift. I counted 70 steps to the top floor room. No one to take my luggage up.

Second day asked for an iron and board. Never came.

Will certainly give it a miss next time.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nomadEurope
Reviewed 7 September 2008

We booked this hotel because the reviews were some of the best we'd ever seen. All I can say is that some people must be easily pleased! When we checked in we were given room 3 on the ground floor, we literally put our luggage in the room, (a quick look showed it to be a small double nicely furnished with a tiny en suite) and went out for the afternoon. Once we got back it then hit us just how small the room was and the so called en suite - well I've seen bigger cupboards! I didn't know it was possible to squeeze a toilet, a sink and a shower cubicle into such a small space ( I am a size 10/12 so not a large lady by any means) and it was extremely claustrophobic. We had booked dinner at the parent hotel Arundel House so went off there to eat. Whilst I enjoyed my meal my husband did not enjoy his at all. He had a sardine dish to start - 3 giant ones with heads and tails still on and full of bones. Then he had steak which was tough. We had ordered drinks when we first sat down and they took ages to come and the restaurant wasn't particularly busy. Once we had eaten I went to reception to complain about our room, (we had booked in for 2 nights but had decided that if we couldn't be moved to a better room that we would only stay the 1 night even if we had to pay for 2 as my husband said he would rather go home than stay) The girl on reception couldn't have been more helpfull, she looked for another room, said there was either another double room or a family room we could have and that a member of staff would go back to Ashley House with us to show us the rooms. Back at the Ashley we were shown a family room on the 1st floor, very large room with a king size bed and a single bed and a large bathroom so we said we would take that and didn't look at the other double room, it had been agreed we could have the family room at the same price as a double. The bed was very comfy but the bedding needs replacing, I have thrown better away, no crisp white sheets and pillowcases here, instead thin and grey looking and I've never seen such limp pillowcases. The TV was also poor, no digital or satellite TV. Breakfast was very good. The next evening when we got back to the hotel we couldn't get in because our key card wouldn't work, we tried the intercom but reception wasn't being manned at the time, fortunately another guest arrived and she was able to let us in but the key card wouldn't give us access to our room either. We used the reception phone to ring the Arundel and they sent a member of staff straight away to sort things out - we think they had only set the key card for 1 night instead of 2. Whilst we can only praise all the staff we came into contact with the hotel has issues that need addressing - we ate elsewhere on the 2nd night and in our opinion room 3 should not be let at the double room rate of £75, it would perhaps be OK for a young teen travelling with parents and a child who were also booking a family room for say £25 but no more. We certainly will not be going back.

5  Thank IsitmeSheffield
Reviewed 3 September 2008

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights while we attended a conference. Yes, we arrived mid afternoon to find no one there. The intercom only works if there is someone there to answer it!! Our tiny room was on the top floor and despite opening windows it was very hot and stuffy. The room was dated...pink worn carpet, ugly polyester bedspread, tiny bathroom (converted closet) and cheap furniture. Neither the phone, tv or radio worked. I'm not that picky but for 85 pounds (aka $170 U.S) I expect more! Luckily we didn't spend too much time in the room. I would spend the extra cash for something nicer in the future...the Doubletree looked very nice. The only plus was the nice pub across the street....Old Spring. The best vegetable/couscous salad!

I rate our experince as ok not terrible because if it was terrible I would have moved to another hotel....it was a close call...

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank seajaycj
Reviewed 30 August 2008

The whole situation with Ashely hotel and its bigger sister the Arundel needs to be sorted out. We had booked direct via the Arundel so had been informed about where to pick up the key. But its still confusing about how to actually get into the Ashley - agree with previous reviwer nobody answered the intercom. I felt a bit uncomfortable that nobody appears to be on site at night and would be anxious about the Arundel responding in a crisis! We were on the top floor and the only access to the fire escape appeared to be through another bedroom ( could only see this from the car park)- god knows what would happen if that was empty and you needed to escape. There is certainly no way down the narrow stairs if there was a fire in the stair well. Actually having read over that again I am very concerned about the fire escape - I dont even remember seeing any fire instructions or assembly point or escape route signing. Re the stairs - there are notices that the hotel is being refurbished and its not clear if the stairs have been done - if so- orange wall paper and carpet are hideous. Our room was at the very top of the hotel - steep stairs and no lift or help with cases- so be warned if you have mobility issues. We faced the car park so it was very quiet. The room was clean as was the small bathroom. The bed was extremely soft but sadly had sheets and blankets rather than a duvet - it was also a fairly small double bed- still all that may be fine for some people.- Just not us! The TV was fairly old and did not have any digital channels- poor I think. There was also complete lack of info beyond the menu for the Arundel hotel - this did not appeal to us but there are loads of great places to eat in the city any way. I want to like the Ashley and have given it a high rating but I do have reservations about the annex like set up.
It suited us well for the two days we were there but I would not rave about it- car parking is however a good point. Location also fine.Breakfast was fresh and hot.

1  Thank pilgrim51
Reviewed 26 August 2008

our stay at ashley house was a bit of a comedy . first .. we arrived at 4:30 pm to a locked door . there is a bell/intercom that says "if locked , ring reception here" .. no answer, no matter how long we let it ring .
thanks to tripadvisor reviews - but no thanks to the hotel - we knew just what to do... we trudged down the road to arundel house for check in . that worked fine.
on return , we found the room to be quite ok for the rating and price .. except that it was in need of vacuuming . you get what you pay for .. so no matter. sheets were clean , bathroom was fairly clean - we brought slippers .. no real complaints on the room.
at around 6 pm , when reception is said to be staffed, we read in the guest manual that we had to leave our car info at reception to avoid the car being clamped . so we dial 0 for reception.. no answer. husband gets dressed to walk to reception to find it boarded up (literally!). THERE , finally a note saying what to dial to reach arundel house. called there (from phone at boarded up reception counter) and they took the car info down - mission accomplished.
next morning we go for breakfast .. on the way we ask the now present receptionist howcome nobody was there the day before. the answer is a shouldershrug and "i wouldn't know - i wasn't on duty!". she didn't offer to pass it on as a customer concern or any other fancy phrases of appeasement :) .. in the very pleasant breakfast room we help ourselves to cornflakes .. and find the pitcher of milk was sour. i carry it to the lady in the kitchen , who was very sweet , but unfortunately spoke no english besides the lament "all on own !!!" i tried to make her understand that this milk was bad and i would be happy with just a glass full of unspoiled milk for the cornflakes .. but to no avail. by that time , we were just laughing about what we had gotten ourselves into in the name of saving a buck . the coup de grace came when we paid the bill , only to find our unsuccessful in-house calls to recpetion were actually CHARGED to us !!!!
in summary .. the ashley is an ok cheap option for a night . you get what you pay for. the free parking is good.... as far as customer service and convenience goes - maybe not so :)

4  Thank spammie
Reviewed 21 August 2008

We stayed at the Ashley Hotel for a weekend and found the accomodation to be clean and tidy. The breakfast the next morning was excellent. The staff were friendly and helpful too. This is a quiet hotel and is north of Cambridge on the ring road, it is ideal for walking into town with no need of taxis or buses. The hotel has no bar, but if you like to drink there is a nice pub just along the road. All in all we found this good value for money at £85 for bed and breakfast and would not hesitate to stay there again. We have stayed in hotels far more expensive that have not met the standard of the Ashley.

1  Thank mssm