“Warning - No shower.”

Ranked #23 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Horsham
“Warning - No shower.”
Reviewed 10 May 2010

I did not want to be one of those persons that has one bad experience and therefore gives a bad review for everything. The destinction between a good hotel and a bad hotel is with the way they deal with complaints.

My partner and I recently stayed at the Ashley Hotel in Cambridge. If you want to check in before 5pm you need to visit the sister hotel down the road where checkin is at 3pm.

We arrived at our hotel at around 5pm and check in to the room. First impressions where good. Good sized room in good decorative state. We were due to go out at 7pm so decided to have a bit of a rest for a bit. At 6pm we decided to have a quick shower before going out. This is when the problem started. The bathroom has no shower and does not even have a shower hose connected to the taps! For me this is not a problem, but for my partner who has very long hair it was. How can you rinse hair without a shower? There was no jug, so had to rinse with a 250ml glass which obviously took a long time.

My biggest problem I had was that there was no warning about the lack of shower, which is the point of this review. I phoned once to make the booking and then phoned a couple of days before arriving as I had not received an email confirmation. Neither time was a told there was not a shower. If I had known I would have booked into another hotel or B&H in Cambridge.

As you can see not the biggest problem and should have been dealt with quite easily. The reception at the Ashley Hotel said there was nothing she could do, so I phoned the sister hotel the Arundel House Hotel. I spoke with the duty manager who said there where spare rooms at the Arundel House Hotel and offered for us to stay there. The problem was they wanted us to pay another £25 per night. I would have been happy if they had let us change rooms but for the same rate. He said I would have to speak to the general manager in the morning as he was not authorised to do anything else. When I phoned the following day, the general manger said I should have asked if the room had a shower, and as I did not it was in effect my fault. I pointed out that I expect hotels to have showers or to at least point it out and that the Ashley Hotel is no better than a B&B. She said the Ashley Hotel is a B&B! So why do they have the word hotel in their name. I also mentioned about the offer to stay in the Arundel Hotel, but was not happy to pay extra. She said that the Arundel Hotel and the Ashley Hotel are separate entities! So why do they share the same website and refer to the Ashley as the sister Hotel?

I then asked if I could have a discount of the room we stayed in. She said that it was too late as we had used the room. I told her I was not prepared to pay the full amount as I had looked at other B&B’s in Cambridge before choosing the Ashley Hotel and was looking to pay about £60-£70. She said she would take the money off my card whether I liked it or not!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
7 Thank bobnevermind

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
london
Reviewed 14 January 2010

Cheap, fairly basic hotel - decent for the price.
Good:
Cheap
Friendly
Location - out of the way, but walkable (~15mins) into the centre
Decnet pub just over the road - Quiet on the outside so no noise, but a decent pub that's often busy, especially if you want a table for food.

Downsides:
Often no-one on reception meaning you either have to walk to the Arundel (sister hotel) 10 mins away check in and come back, or wait for if they're feeling generous they send someone over to let you in.
The staff are friendly and helpful, but there is generally no-one around except for the morning, and sometimes early evening.
TV only has analogue - normal 5 channels, no freeview/cable
No restaurant (you could walk to the Ashley and eat there, but there are plenty of other decent places to eat in cambridge instead)
Wifi internet was OK, but doesn't reach some of the rooms (16/17 at least), and varies a bit depending on how many people are using it.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
UK
Reviewed 25 September 2009

I really can't fault this.
We got a good deal from the hotel's website & were very pleasantly surprised by the quality for the price - far better than I was expecting!
We had to wait for a couple of minutes for the receptionist to arrive from the Arundel but she was lovely, very helpful & efficient.
We had booked a twin room & actually got a huge room with 3 single beds in it (they don't advertise a triple on their website - shame really as I quite often look for a triple for self + 2 friends!). The toilet was separate from the bathroom which was really helpful when getting ready in the morning etc. everywhere was spotlessly clean and the shower was excellent - very powerful!
Breakfast wasn't the gourmet mega-feast some hotels seem to serve but there was plenty of choice and the quality of the food was excellent.
Location is a pleasant stroll to the city centre & we didn't feel uncomfortable walking back at night. They let us leave the car there all day to avoid parking charges!

The only complaint I would have are the number of stairs - the slightly quirky layout comes from it being 2 converted houses.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank JustME-inUK
Lincs
Reviewed 11 July 2009

The door was answered within 15 secs (with a smile of welcome) and registration was attended to quickly, efficiently and pleasantly. My room was the best I have ever seen in a British hotel - the bathroom very well appointed and in excellent condition as was the main room with its positively sumptuous bed. Again the breakfast was probably the best I have ever had and although perhaps not the huge choice one might get in a much grander hotel, it comprised very good quality ingredients superbly cooked (esp. the sausages!)
The only fault I could find was that hot drinks making facilities in the room included tea, chocolate, sugar, milk but no coffee. And that's a pretty trivial complaint!
I would come back here again with no hestitation.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank LincsHoppy
Oxford
Reviewed 25 June 2009

An older building with some character but a little tired in places but genarally ok. Large car park to rear in tidy garden. Initial access on arrival is unusual but we had no problems & I believe its possible to book in at the sister hotel - The Arundel which has a permanently manned reception. The double room was adequate with a small ensuite shower/toilet. Everything was clean & tidy. Only breakfast is provided in the ashley - evening meals can be had in the Arundel. The breakfast wa good with all sorts of choices. At the sister hotel - the Arundel - the facilities of which are available to Ashley guests, were very good. Nice lounge, bar, dining room & conservatory. the meals we had there were very good. All staff were very good. location of Ashley is not too bad but is a short walk to the town centre.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
England
Reviewed 17 December 2008

We stayed here for a night to visit family.

We checked in a the sister hotel, the Arundel. Provided you are prepared, this was not a problem and our room was ready earlier than advertised.

We had a quiet room facing the car park. and it was clean, if a little tired in the bathroom.

The location is excellent, and we were able to walk into the centre of Cambridge in around 10 minutes, leaving the car in the car park.

The pub opposite is good for a drink (we didn't try the food, but it was busy with people eating) , and the centre is obviously overflowing with places to eat and drink.

The breakfast was good and the staff friendly.

Overall, an excellent place to stay for a short visit.

• Liked — location and value for money
  • Disliked — slightly tired bathroom
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
3 Thank Travelites
Brighton
Reviewed 23 November 2008

We stayed here for one night for £75 b & b. Whilst I can see what some of the negative reviewers were referring to I believe this hotel provides good value for a short break. As a tourist you don't really need anything more than a comfortable, clean and secure room for the night. We weren't planning to spend a long time in our room so lack of digital channels on the tv really wasn't a problem.

I can't see what else might have been missing. The bedroom was furnished like any standard hotel room, we had ensuite shower with toiletries, a tea/coffee tray and hairdryer. We had no problem finding the place or getting in with the swipe key. Breakfast was good and parking on-site was great!

We basically arrived, dumped bags and walked into town (15-minute pleasant walk across Jesus Green - which is well lit and seemed safe to walk through at night). We returned in the late afternoon - recharged and went back out again for an evening meal in Brasserie Gerrard. There are various pubs en route and a perhaps shorter route via the car park behind hotel and down back streets leading directly to the park (and Fort Saint George pub).

They even let us leave the car in the car park for a few hours after we checked out the next day - which meant we were able to explore a little more of the city before heading home. All seemed good to me.

Potential negative - whilst I liked the impersonality of the place - it might have proved annoying should you have wanted some help - there wasn't really anyone around in the afternoon - though there is an intercom to the other hotel (which is a 5 minute walk away).

• Liked — Location, comfort, clean, parking, value in an expensive city
  • Disliked — Nobody on-site to refer to in afternoon / later evening
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple