“My wine knowledge has come on leaps and bounds!”

Cambridgeshire Wine School
Ranked #1 of 145 things to do in Cambridge
More attraction details
Owner description: Fun and informative wine tastings. For Saturdays and evening tastings, see dates and times on our website (Run a Google search to find us). We also offer private parties (birthdays, hen nights, staff socials, team building) and for an ideal present - Wine Tasting gift vouchers!
Reviewed 3 July 2015

I have been fortunate enough to attend a number of Mark's wine courses with Cambridgeshire Wine School. I have attended an 8 week Tuesday evening session where a group of us sampled a wide range of wines from all over the world, looking at different the old world wines of for the first 4 weeks and then looking at the new world wines for the following 4 weeks. The last of the 8 week course was the sparkling wine paired with fish and chips which was a delight, as well as watching Mark teach a selection of people Sabrage - taking the top of the champagne off with a sword! Light hearted and informative and have made a few firm friends as a result. I then continued on and did a 4 week France versus New World wines which was a great follow on, with a bit more blind tasting, trying to work out which one was which - great fun! I then decided to go down the more serious route and take the WSET Level 2 course. There was a bit more concentrating with this course, with materials and prereading to do. Where as the previous courses were more relaxed and you could drink your wine, the WSET course involved some heavy use of the spittoons, but your are there to learn! Mark injects a great level of enthusiasm and is always happy to answer your questions. He has some funny ways of helping you to remember your grapes and regions and I wouldn't have been able to remember the Italian black grape varieties for the exam without his excellent teaching. A fantastic course and would highly recommend!

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"gift voucher"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 2 July 2015

Being shown how an officer in Napoleons army would have opened a bottle of champagne with his his sword, was just one of the many highlights of my recent wine adventure. I recently went through the WSET level 2 course run by Cambridge wine school which was run out of the cambridge royal hotel. The course itself was spread over 3 consecutive Monday's which I found good as it allows one to absorb the information and gives you time to learn between sessions at home.

Mark was a fantastic tutor and displayed not just a genuine passion for wine but also an ability to pass on all the relevant information well. We benefited from a good location and fine resources such as text books, work books ect. Not to mention the wine. We sampled around 9 to 12 wines per session, making full use of the spittoons. These wines were each carefully selected to appropriately demonstrate, for example, a certain grape variety.

I would happily recommend the course to others, in particular those either looking to forge a career in the industry or those with just a keen interest with a above basic knowledge.

Reviewed 2 July 2015 via mobile

Great course over 3 consecutive Monday's. Mark , thank you for making the classes enjoyable and very informative.

Reviewed 20 June 2015

Thursday of this week my husband and I spent a very pleasant evening in the company of Mark Anstead and 9 other wine lovers at the Cambridgeshire Wine School. Mark took us through the delights of 6 wines (3 white and 3 red), telling us how to get the best out each of them. He encouraging us to observe the colour, texture, aroma, flavours and showed us what foods go well with each wine. For each of the wines we sampled on the night, Mark gave us tips on where to get them at the best price.
It has given me a new appreciation of when to serve particular wines for meals as diverse as chilli, tomato based pastas, fish and steak - even hints of which side of the Garonne river in the Bordeaux region to choose a wine for a well-done steak verses a rare steak!
A thoroughly enjoyable and informative evening.

See more reviews
Reviewed 12 June 2015

I'm not proud to admit that I have indulged in the easy and simple no thrills choice of boxed wines. Having recently attended the WSET level 1 course, I now have an understanding and an appreciation of the subtle differences between the differing wines available amongst the myriad availability on the supermarket shelves.
Marks' enthusiasm in the making of, the aromas involved and taste sensations to be discovered in the differing wines available was a pure joy. The day passed very quickly and Mark was a fountain of knowledge and advice.

I would definitely recommend this course to even the most heathen of wine drinkers. And the setting, within a beautiful historic hotel in the centre of Cambridge just added to the whole experience.

Many thanks Mark