“Outstanding Experience”
Review of Virtual Aviation

Virtual Aviation
Ranked #8 of 18 Fun & Games in Cambridge
More attraction details
Owner description: Prices start from £290. The simulator is available 16 hrs a day, 7 days a week (advance booking required - please call before visiting). Experience a thrilling flight at the controls of Virtual Aviation's new Boeing 737 flight simulator at Cambridge Airport. This brand-new, multi-million pound flight simulator is the most advanced of its kind. It's normally used for training airline pilots, but it's also available to members of the public. Book a 'Flight Simulator Experience' and you'll get to experience the sheer thrill of flying a large passenger jet - with hands-on guidance from an experienced airline pilot.
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I took 2 hours to fly the 737 at Cambridge and it was a lot better than I expected. I have flown full motion 747 and 777 training simulators before but, with the possible exception of the actual touch down, this experience - incredibly - was just as realistic due to the high resolution displays and the accurate force-feedback on the controls. This makes it very good value. The team there is professional and welcoming and the pilot I had did his absolute best to make use of the time and give me the best experience possible. I am definitely returning as soon as I can!

2  Thank Nimmer2013
Virtual A, Manager at Virtual Aviation, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Thank you for your review, it was great to meet you. We look forward to flying with you again soon.

All reviews
in 3 reviews
"mark"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 19 August 2013

I purchased the 2-hour simulator experience for my aviation-enthusiast husband as a birthday present, after reading all the excellent reviews online. Totally worth the trip to Cambridge, as it is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Don't want to go into too many details, as everything and everybody involved were excellent in every way.

The only thing I would suggest that they add is the option to have the experience filmed, to then be sold with an added fee to the would-be pilot. I sat behind my husband while he was being instructed in the simulator and videotaped the event with my own camera. However, it might have been more practical to have a still camera installed in the simulator for this purpose. I am sure many others would like to have a copy of themselves flying aircraft, even virtually...!

2  Thank ArzuS

Thank you for your review, we are so pleased you both enjoyed the experience. We are looking in to a filming option for customers to have a recorded copy of their flight, thank you for your ideas.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

If you're interested in flying....or if you've ever wondered what it's like to land a 100 ton airliner at 130 knots...or if you just want an unforgettable experience.... then this is for you !!!
There are a few "simulator" experience available ,but this is the real thing.
You ,and up to three friends ,get time in a state of the art Boeing or Airbus simulator...the ones used to train today's airline pilots ....at their training base in Manchester. You get an experienced airline pilot to brief you and guide you...and then you're in the left seat ,ready for take-off.
The simulator is as real as it gets right the way down to simulated crashes if you get it all wrong. You really get the feel of the power and performance of a modern jet and the landings are an intense focus of concentration rewarded (if you are skilful enough) with the kiss of a smooth landing and the roar of reverse thrust.
All this is supported by a seamless organisation in Virtual Aviation who look after all the details and bookings to ensure that your adventure goes smoothly.
One of the best things I have ever done in my 67 years.....and great support from the professionals who made it all happen.

7  Thank caterad
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I visited Virtual Aviation along with a couple of colleagues for a team-building exercise. This half day event takes the form of two hours planning followed by putting your plan into practice in the simulator.
The planning was well organised- we were settle down in a room with notebooks, maps, a full manual, and wall charts showing the details of the cockpit. An iPad was also provided to check out some more details on the aircraft instruments.
Our mission brief began simply- the 737 would be parked on the runway in Manchester, and needed flying to Heathrow. The planning was a more involved than you might anticipate but the balance of difficulty, amount of information to absorb, and the time available was well judged. We certainly were apprehensive on entering the simulator having only just managed to work everything out, and it was certainly interesting to reflect afterwards how we'd approached the problem and to think about what we may have done differently.

The simulator itself is excellent. Essentially it's a real cockpit with superb visuals to immerse yourself into. For the main exercise I took the role of coordinator and was sat behind my colleagues who were operating the aircraft, but at times I found myself leaning to counteract movement that wasn't actually there- the only time the lack of any physical movement made itself apparent was at landing- there's no 'bump' as you touch down- but during takeoff and flying you really feel like it's moving.
There was a little time at the end for us to swap seats, so although I hadn't flown our actual mission, I still got to play, which was appreciated.
I'm also pleased to report we succeeded in not crashing :)

All the staff were welcoming and friendly, and you could tell they are all enthusiasts. Hot drinks and biscuits were in supply as well.

Highly recommended!

2  Thank jmbillings

Congratulations on successfully completing the task, it was great to meet you all. We hope to see you again soon.

See more reviews
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We visited for a 1 hour experience flight at Cambridge. The team at virtual aviation were incredibly attentive/organised in the run up to the experience and the visit itself was great fun. My husband (who's present it was) took about 35 mins, and myself and our son split the rest of the time between us. Our pilot was great at finding interesting tasks for us, making it just the right amount of challenging so it was really interesting but still achievable.
Despite being a fixed-based simulator the graphics give you a good sense of movement.
Would highly recommend.

3  Thank Fiona G

Thank you very much fro your review, we are thrilled that your husband enjoyed the experience. See you again soon.