“Early birthday treat”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Took my husband here for his early birthday meal - a fantastic pick. The welcome was warm, the food fantastic, the service great. They got really busy, so you did have to wait a little bit longer to get the bill / pay, but that was even fine: no rush, relaxing environment.
Recommend booking to avoid disappointment :)
Will definitely be returning.

1  Thank Kelly B

Reviewed 15 August 2014

I love this restaurant, it is small, intimate and extremely popular hence having to book well in advance for a special occasion.
Tonight for my birthday I chose sardines for a starter, superbly cooked then lobster with garlic butter for my main course, the dessert was delicious.
Service is spot on.
We have already booked for Valentine's Day (evening) next year as we consider this restaurant the 'best'.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Went to Piccolo Mondo yesterday evening with the the family ,what a fantastic restaurant .From the moment we arrived we were made to feel really welcome ,the staff are very professional whilst being friendly and helpful ,the Maitre D Polly leads from the front and sets a really high standard.
The food is excellent ,the fish choices were especially tempting and expertly cooked,the sweets to die for.!! All in all 5 star.
My two super critical children rated our meal first class, I fear my daughter's boy friend may find himself saving up for a visit in the very near future!!

1  Thank Eddymo42
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Good luck getting a table, they do have a reserve list but is first come first served and they won't hold a table for you on this list.

12  Thank CPO1983
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This is a place for a special occasion.

The room is nothing to write home about, but there's also nothing to fault. Its an old school done out to be a restaurant, the atmosphere is clean and fresh, good temperature and feely light and airy.

The service and welcome is outstanding. You feel welcome and wanted from the minute you arrive to the minute you leave and its never patronising.

The blonde woman and the head waiter act as if they own the place because they seem to care a lot more than all the others, nevertheless, they do an awesome job of making you feel at home and their attention to detail is very good.

The wine was very good and reasonably priced as was the menu, but £9.50 for scallop starter was a bit pricey as you only got three. They were very tasty though.

The mozzarella meatballs were bland and lacking in seasoning.

The pork and mushrooms main was fairly standard, nothing special, but it was cheap. My salmon fettuccini was not good. When it arrive I contemplated sending it back as it was overcooked, but once it had cooled down it was acceptable, but the salmon pieces were very small and the pasta was not as good as de Luca or la Pergola.

The flavours of the food just seemed to be missing, visit Aromi in Cambridge and you will see better flavours, there was also no pizza on the menu at all.

The menu was, however, very varied and lots of choice, I would have been happy choosing many of the dishes. The prices were also very reasonable.

The best thing about this place is the service and the cleanliness. It feels fresh and the service is outstanding. I will go back for sure, if I can find someone to drive me, because that's another disadvantage, because its in the middle of the countryside, you need to drive to go there, so you can't really drink...

This place is very good and deserves to be among the top Cambridge restaurants. I feel though, that they should improve the flavours of their food if they want 5 stars, because when I visited it was all rather bland.

1  Thank Cambridge-Critic